College Kids?

Options

Replies

• ashliij
    ashliij Posts: 54
    Options
    Yep. 22 but only a sophomore as I traveled first. I live off-campus as well!
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    ashliij wrote: »
    Yep. 22 but only a sophomore as I traveled first. I live off-campus as well!

Awesome! I didn't take a gap year to travel first, but if I could have I would have.
  • faupster
    faupster Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just curious:

Are there any other college kids on this site?

I run a group on here just for college students, check it out if you have time.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    21, college student :)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    19 here, first year uni student in the UK. We don't have on-campus housing (what a strange concept...) so I don't have to worry about that, plus in my uni there's two restaurants, a subway, a shop that sells all sorts of groceries and copious vending machines. That means I don't have to worry when I'm at uni all day, either. I actually find it easier to lose weight when I'm at uni as opposed to when I'm back home. My home is in a tiny village so not much variety and my dad always stocks tempting 'fun food' - but my uni's in a city so there's lots of shops to choose from.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    19 here, first year uni student in the UK. We don't have on-campus housing (what a strange concept...) so I don't have to worry about that, plus in my uni there's two restaurants, a subway, a shop that sells all sorts of groceries and copious vending machines. That means I don't have to worry when I'm at uni all day, either. I actually find it easier to lose weight when I'm at uni as opposed to when I'm back home. My home is in a tiny village so not much variety and my dad always stocks tempting 'fun food' - but my uni's in a city so there's lots of shops to choose from.

Really, no on-campus housing? Ha ha, that seems weird to me. But your uni sounds awesome! My college town is suuuuper small, so we just have the local Subway ten minutes down the road (walking) and a Dollar General across the street from it, haha.

• claudiamkay
    claudiamkay Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eighteen year old freshman nursing major
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    Eighteen year old freshman nursing major

Cool! I hope you like college so far. I personally have found it so much more exciting than high school, mostly because you have more freedom. It's finally getting warmer (at least in the South where I am) so that helpfully helps (or will help)!

• FatAsianNerd
    FatAsianNerd Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    28, post-bacc/2nd degree
  • nateandrews
    Options
    20, sophomore Political Science major. I live off campus so no dining hall food for me, but I tend to eat out a lot at other places. The calories of restaurant food can be insane, so I usually only eat lunch and dinner. Now that it's getting warm I'm finally getting back into running again, which helps.
  • XC_Guitar17
    Options
    That's cool!
  • wetwookie1988
    Options
    26, graduating in September with an AS in Network Systems Administration, then I start another program for Software Development.
  • casebooks
    casebooks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    (Almost) 21, junior Health Science major. I live on campus in an apartment with a fridge and stove/oven this semester and it is awesome. I still eat 'bad' foods when in a rush/not feeling well but overall its far easier to eat healthy. When I transferred to this college last semester, I was stuck in overflow housing in a hotel and had to use the dining hall/meal plan and it was awful! All of the food was unhealthy and made me sick.
    So, yeah. Cooking for yourself is definitely far better than relying on a dining hall health-wise. If your college has apartments as an option, I would definitely go for them. If not, off-campus housing is a great idea!
  • clarim2
    clarim2 Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yup 20 second semester sophomore majoring in criminal justice and i do live on campus not an athlete just yet but trying to be on the swim team in my up coming years.. to op what food company supplies your school ? mines is sodexo and they do have options that are low in sodium
  • XC_Guitar17
    XC_Guitar17 Posts: 93
    edited March 2015
    Options
    clarim2 wrote: »
    yup 20 second semester sophomore majoring in criminal justice and i do live on campus not an athlete just yet but trying to be on the swim team in my up coming years.. to op what food company supplies your school ? mines is sodexo and they do have options that are low in sodium

Haha, really? Our school uses Sodexo too! Really the day I was really high in sodium was largely due to the bowl of New England Clam Chowder I ate from the DH - it just happened to be super high in sodium. But I also eat Sodexo's veggies a lot (because I usually eat 3-5 servings of fruit and/or veggies a day), and some of their veggies are a little high in sodium. Most of their stuff is relatively healthy, though. Especially compared to other dining halls I guess?
  • feliz_26
    feliz_26 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just curious:

Yes ma'am 20, Psyc and Poli Sci major
  • lotsofowls
    lotsofowls Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes! 19, first year, dorm, rugby player. Lucking my DH has lots of fresh and locally sourced foods. My favorite is the stir fry bar, which is where I get most of my veggies. However, the less-healthy options are seriously tempting and like you said sodium is way too high in lots of them! I recommend avoiding the heavily prepared meals as much as you can and sticking with whatever fresh foods you can find, although I realize that this just isn't a reality for many schools. I'm blessed to have a good DH and I really don't know where I'd be without it.
  • XC_Guitar17
    XC_Guitar17 Posts: 93
    edited March 2015
    Options
    feliz_26 wrote: »
    Just curious:

Yes ma'am 20, Psyc and Poli Sci major

Cool! I'm an English major but I took Psych 101 for a gen ed credit and really enjoyed it!

• XC_Guitar17
    Options
    lotsofowls wrote: »
    Yes! 19, first year, dorm, rugby player. Lucking my DH has lots of fresh and locally sourced foods. My favorite is the stir fry bar, which is where I get most of my veggies. However, the less-healthy options are seriously tempting and like you said sodium is way too high in lots of them! I recommend avoiding the heavily prepared meals as much as you can and sticking with whatever fresh foods you can find, although I realize that this just isn't a reality for many schools. I'm blessed to have a good DH and I really don't know where I'd be without it.

Rugby? That's awesome! I tend to run away from people chasing me, though, so I think I'll stick with cross country haha.

Sometimes our DH does stir fry type stuff but we don't have a specific area exclusively for stir fry.

Our DH is pretty small in general. There's basically a hot line which has a main entree with 4-5 sides, 2 if which are usually veggies. Then there's also a little side station where they have stir fry, a pasta/burger/omelet/nacho bar, and sometimes even ice cream depending on the day. The stations that never change are soup (2 types depending on day), pizza and some other random food like corn dogs/fries/burgers/hot dogs (I usually avoid this station - I'm not big on pizza anyway and their pizza's not that great), the sandwhich bar where they usually have a sandwich of the day plus normal sandwich stuff, and a salad bar. And bananas, apples, and oranges are almost always available, although the bananas go pretty fast because everyone's so desperate for fresh fruit/food.

Sedexo is the company that runs the DH. But hopefully that could change for the better next year because their contract will be up.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try them out.

• bleighb21
    bleighb21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    18 Sophomore Psychology major. Even living off campus it's hard to eat right, and it can be such a challenge to find time to work out. Running is really good for breaking up homework though! Feel free to add.