What food would you like to try, but are intimidated by?

Options

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Crickets. I saw a chef on TV make nachos with them on top.. looked interesting to try
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just got back from 8 months of travelling, and I tried everything offered to me.

I'd love to go to Korea and eat loads of Kimchi. I love Kimchi at Korean restaurants, but I was watching a food program that showed all of these different kinds, with diverse flavours that you can get in Korea, and I think it would warrant a trip to the country for me!
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For me, it would be fresh tuna steaks. I've never been a huge fan of the canned stuff, but have always been curious as to whether or not I'd like fresh tuna steak. I'm scared to order it if I'm eating out, because it's not cheap and I don't want to waste 30$...and I'm intimidated to cook it myself. What food would you most like to try?

Try seared tuna. It is delitious. And not so expensive. It's lightly seared outside and raw inside
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Pig's feet >.>
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    I love trying new foods. Now, I'm no Andrew Zimmern ( Bizarre Foods ), but some of the stuff on his show has looked interesting.

Specifically, id like to try more SE Asian cuisine ... stuff like Pho, Curry, Sushi. Thing is, I don't want the Americanized versions, I want culturally authentic.... and that usually requires travel, so very expensive.

I've had those dishes in SE Asia, and in the US. One of the interesting things about living in the US is that there are a lot of recent immigrants, and a fair number of corresponding restaurants founded by and serving those same immigrants. Depends on where you are obviously, but if near a reasonably large metro area in the US, you can often find incredibly authentic "foreign" foods. You can't always get the exact same varieties of rice or oil, but you can get dishes that have a a ton more in common with the way it was "back home" than an Americanized version of the same dish. But you have to be willing to explore some restaurants that might be considered a little off the beaten path.

As far as what I'd like to try but am slightly intimidated by -- Surstromming or similar. I had to look up the dish via Google - I just remember hearing from Scandinavian friends of this concept of burying fermenting fish in the ground and digging it up some weeks later, after it had become a bit of a soupy mess of fermenting goop. Not sure if I could do it, but always thought that it would be a very interesting snack.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm a little intimidated by chinatown. I'm an anxious person and there's no english anywhere. I really want to try a dish that is authentic as I can possibly get in the US. Apparently there are some places with pictures, so I guess I could point.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sushi. I know I don't like the "fishy" taste of seafood that isn't fresh. But most restaurants charge up the *kitten* for sushi and I don't cook. I'm also not sure if it'd be worth it to get that kinda thing from the supermarket.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Sushi. I know I don't like the "fishy" taste of seafood that isn't fresh. But most restaurants charge up the *kitten* for sushi and I don't cook. I'm also not sure if it'd be worth it to get that kinda thing from the supermarket.

Not worth it from the super market.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

Best thing is to try it from a restaurant--but since you're in Florida, Publix sells a roll with avocado and salmon that is pretty good and not fishy at all. They also sell a vegetarian one in case you just want to get the idea.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    Eggplant. It's just a big purple thing... it's so scary.
    I used to be scared of eggplant too and just ordered it at a restaurant.
    One day I watched a friend merely slice it, spread it on paper towels (or clean kitchen towels), salt it, wait about 20-30 minutes, rinse and dry it and mix with some olive oil and garlic and spread on baking sheets.
    Bake at 350 till tender and yum!!!!!!
    I'm not scared anymore and my favorite is the Japanese eggplant!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm scared to try Kefir and Kimchi. I know its supposed to be very good for you, but I'm afraid of getting sick from it. Like, I'm afraid of it not being prepared right and having dangerous bacteria in it.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Protein powder.

I know, right? WTF.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Century eggs.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I will eat anything. No food intimidates me.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Op. I HATE canned tuna. Like with a passion. For the first 35 years of my life I figured all Tuna tasted like that. One day, I was feeling adventurous and our supermarket at it on sale, so I bought a few pieces, grilled it on a grill pan, medium rare. IT IS DELICIOUS! It's now on rotation at our house. I prefer Ahi tuna over Albacore, but both are good.

Try it, I think you'll like it.

Butternut Squash is mine. I don't think I'd want to bother with processing it (cutting, chopping, etc).
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of intimidated by butternut squash, too. That's because I'm afraid I'm going to cut myself during the processing phase.
  • NewBeginningBren
    NewBeginningBren Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Kale, eggplant, and tofu.
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Eggplant!
  • Momakanga
    Momakanga Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Lutefisk and Rømmegrøt! Norwegians are so strange!