What food would you like to try, but are intimidated by?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm a foodie so I'm not really afraid to try pretty much anything and really, there are only a handful of things I don't like...generally speaking, I don't like organ meat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I will eat anything. No food intimidates me.

There are definitely some things I wouldn't eat (cat and dog, for example, and I fully admit this is culturally determined), but nothing that intimidates me. Well, maybe fugu.
  • Mafuezee
    Mafuezee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    octopus
  • FairlyOddChelle
    FairlyOddChelle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Tofu. I want to try it at Chipotle, their "Sofritas". If it doesn't gross me out too much, I'd like to prepare it at home.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Op. I HATE canned tuna. Like with a passion. For the first 35 years of my life I figured all Tuna tasted like that. One day, I was feeling adventurous and our supermarket at it on sale, so I bought a few pieces, grilled it on a grill pan, medium rare. IT IS DELICIOUS! It's now on rotation at our house. I prefer Ahi tuna over Albacore, but both are good.

Try it, I think you'll like it.

+1 I love tuna steak, ahi in sushi or poke, etc., but cannot stand the canned stuff.
    Butternut Squash is mine. I don't think I'd want to bother with processing it (cutting, chopping, etc).

I used to feel this way, but it's really not bad. You really only have to have a good enough knife to cut it in quarters and scraping out the seeds is easy, as is roasting it. I recommend doing delicata (super easy) or acorn (smaller, plus I think tastier) first, though. You can even eat the skin of delicata and it slices much more easily.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    "Kina" a/k/a Sea Urchin... eaten raw here in NZ. Caught fresh, smashed on a rock and slurped from its spiny shell. Highly regarded food in my area, and kind of a culinary rite of passage. I keep thinking "I'll have some this time" but then I see the gooey inside and just can't...
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    Oysters. I am dying to try them but terrified of the texture.

Next month my SO is taking me to Santa Barbara for our anniversary and I am DETERMINED to try them!

I had some grilled ones in New Orleans and they were amazing. I don't remember the name of the place. They were well seasoned and to die for. Hopefully, you will like them. I bought some from Sam's Club a few times and was surprised at how calorie dense they are. I had to really limit my intake to make sure they didn't blow my calories budgeted for the day.

If you had them in the French Quarter, it was either ACME or Felix's
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Oysters. I am dying to try them but terrified of the texture.

Next month my SO is taking me to Santa Barbara for our anniversary and I am DETERMINED to try them!

I've never tried them either, as I don't like clams. Love the flavor, but like you it's the texture that makes me gag!

That's what I'm afraid of! :( Still going to do it, haha.

I'm not a texture fan either. I don't eat clams, but I eat oysters fried. Have to be small though. Not those honking big ones or raw.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    rhaiin wrote: »
    I'm scared to try Kefir and Kimchi. I know its supposed to be very good for you, but I'm afraid of getting sick from it. Like, I'm afraid of it not being prepared right and having dangerous bacteria in it.

Take it from a (former) microbiologist who's had severe food poisoning, so I know it's worth avoiding at all costs.

Don't worry so much about fermented foods like kefir and kimchi. They're seeded with non-harmful microbes so it's highly unlikely they would be out-competed by disease-causing microbes. Otherwise, things like fish sauce, kimchi, yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, etc would never have become a staple food item.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Dragon fruit. The local Winco sells it often and ... I don't know how to eat it or what it tastes like. I so want to toss it in my salads though, it would look so pretty!

OH, and Star Fruit. I wish I could find both somewhere on a salad bar so I could try them to see if it's something I want buy!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    There really isnt anything anyone could put in front of me that I would be scared / unwilling to try.

Best case scenario, I love it.

Worst case scenario, I hate it...but then its also good because I can say "Yup, tried it, don't like it" and I never have to wonder...or have it again.

Ive only ever had food poisoning once...crab cakes at a popular restaurant. And I found out that my one and only food allergy is reindeer. So yeah, though it was good, cant do that one again.

I love food...food doesnt scare me. Its just...food! LoL
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Kimchi is one of the greatest foods in the world, give it a go! I'm not a scientist, but it is delicious! Kefir isn't delicious in my books, but it's worth a try, mixed with some raspberry jam!
    stealthq wrote: »
    rhaiin wrote: »
    I'm scared to try Kefir and Kimchi. I know its supposed to be very good for you, but I'm afraid of getting sick from it. Like, I'm afraid of it not being prepared right and having dangerous bacteria in it.

Take it from a (former) microbiologist who's had severe food poisoning, so I know it's worth avoiding at all costs.

Don't worry so much about fermented foods like kefir and kimchi. They're seeded with non-harmful microbes so it's highly unlikely they would be out-competed by disease-causing microbes. Otherwise, things like fish sauce, kimchi, yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, etc would never have become a staple food item.

• spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    sushi
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Starfruit is pretty tasty, but pretty boring and therefore not worth the money. My husband likes it in smoothies (for the texture) but to me, it's just meh. Dragonfruit on the other hand is AMAZING and totally worth the money. It's like a more sweet, less sour kiwifruit. Just peel off the outer skin (you can eat the skin, just not the outermost, hard layer, though it's easier to just peel off all the skin). There is one with white flesh, and one with bright pink. Both are tasty.
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Dragon fruit. The local Winco sells it often and ... I don't know how to eat it or what it tastes like. I so want to toss it in my salads though, it would look so pretty!

OH, and Star Fruit. I wish I could find both somewhere on a salad bar so I could try them to see if it's something I want buy!

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I will eat anything. No food intimidates me.

There are definitely some things I wouldn't eat (cat and dog, for example, and I fully admit this is culturally determined), but nothing that intimidates me. Well, maybe fugu.

Ahhhh... fugu scares me so much!! I think that would be the one food I'd be really scared to try, (but I have no intention of ever trying it)
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    For people wanting to try Sushi, I'd suggest trying either Salmon, or Tempura. Tempura is battered, and flash fried, so it's actually somewhat cooked.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I had this in Hawaii and it was amazingly delicious, one of the best things I've ever had. Friends who have tried it here said it doesn't travel well, though, so the supermarket stuff you might find isn't comparable, sadly.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

I'm not the biggest star fruit fan, but why not just buy one? You could mix it in with yogurt or something if you don't like the taste.

Then again, I have't tried jackfruit or dragon fruit either.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I had this in Hawaii and it was amazingly delicious, one of the best things I've ever had. Friends who have tried it here said it doesn't travel well, though, so the supermarket stuff you might find isn't comparable, sadly.

Perhaps that is the issue I had. I got some at H Mart and it tasted like kiwi only more bland.