Need Help With Vegetables

Options
Shlotato
Shlotato Posts: 6 Member
I bought a cheap spiralizer in hopes of kicking my pasta habit, but can't quite get past the squishy zucchini part.

How do you make zucchini noodles taste/texture better?! I'm a sucker for just spaghetti or alfredo sauce.

Replies

• WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    To be honest the whole grain and hidden vegetable pastas are not all that bad for you, in moderation. The bad ones are those made with just plain bleached flour.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Are you cooking it too long? It really only needs a minute, or you can eat it raw and just microwaved to make it a bit warmer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can't even get my spiralizer to spiralize nice. Have you tried spaghetti squash?
  • nulphlauren
    Options
    I love my spiralizer! I cook it in a nonstick pan for about 3-5 minutes & then top with sauce or just olive oil, garlic & parm.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I can't even get my spiralizer to spiralize nice. Have you tried spaghetti squash?

YES!! THIS!! It is so much better than zucchini noodles!
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love making zuccini noodles and I even think yellow squash noodles are better. I cut the noodles using a Veggetti then lay them on a paper towel and salt them to remove as much water as possible then sautee them for just a few minutes with cooking spray and some chopped garlic.
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

YES!! THIS!! It is so much better than zucchini noodles!

Totally agree. I use spaghetti squash a lot. It tastes great and it really absorbs the flavour of whatever you top it with. It's fairly cheap and one squash goes a long way.
  • cathleen73
    cathleen73 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think part of the issue is the time of the year. I got one too and thought the veggies were a bit mushy, but they seem softer than the summer ones.
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yes spaghetti squash! For creamy sauces I like them on roasted cauliflower or "riced" cauliflower.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I dont cook my zuchinni noodles...I just top them with hot sauce.
  • MFP_Warrior
    MFP_Warrior Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a veggetti and heat them in a frying pan with some cooking spray. Boiled zucchini is nasty imo.
  • JustSomeGuy83
    JustSomeGuy83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Shlotato wrote: »
    I bought a cheap spiralizer in hopes of kicking my pasta habit, but can't quite get past the squishy zucchini part.

How do you make zucchini noodles taste/texture better?! I'm a sucker for just spaghetti or alfredo sauce.
    I actually had some zu-dles with some chicken last night! The trick is definitely not to cook them for very long. I usually throw some parmesan on them after they're cooked and in the bowl. You can jazz them up with some soy sauce too. Aforementioned, spaghetti squash is also the bees knees.