Eating your exercise

Options
would like to get a feel for how many people eat their earned exercise calories?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat most of them.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I do by default because I do TDEE method. When I did neat method I ate them back on work out days.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I eat 50-75 percent. depending on how hungry I am afterward. sometimes I eat less than 50% but I always make sure I eat something back
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My goal is to eat as many calories as I can and still lose weight. Like ana3067, I also do the TDEE method, so I know my upper and lower calorie limits. My daily goal is 2000 cals, but I know I can go a bit higher if I want to and I'll still come in under maintenance cals and I won't gain.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE method as well so, by default, I also eat them back.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do, especially on days I lift.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I eat as many as I need/want to feel satisfied. Usually, I try to leave the majority of them uneaten - but some days I may exercise only to make up for a higher calorie day and so end up eating back all of them. You have to be careful how you are measuring them if you want to eat them back though. Be aware that MFP tends to dramatically overestimate the amount you burn on certain activities. IF you are relying on that calorie burn and eat it all back, you may find that you are not really at a deficit at all any more due to overestimation
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I do. I will normally eat most of them back as my goal net is 1200-1400 anyway so I wouldn't want to go below that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat them back, and then some. Perhaps not on the same day I exercise, but at some point during the week.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I eat them back, but I leave out a few to account for overlap with BMR and to make up for logging food incorrectly.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I eat them back, but I leave out a few to account for overlap with BMR and to make up for logging food incorrectly.

For the same reason i eat 25% back of my exercise calories
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A portion of them.
  • toni632015
    Options
    What is TDEE? :\ thank you
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    toni632015 wrote: »
    What is TDEE? :\ thank you
    TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure - or the number of cals the body burns all day long in a 24 hour period - sleeping, working, walking, watching tv, exercise, brushing your teeth, etc.

Great info here: In Place of a Road Map
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I eat 30-50% percent back.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I do TDEE, eat 1800 daily, and don't log exercise. Partially an experiment, to see if I need to eat more/less. So far its maintenance or just under. I tried to figure in calories burned exercising, and I think I figured too low.

But, this seems to be working overall. I'm not wanting to really eat more than that most days.
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I eat them back, and then some. Perhaps not on the same day I exercise, but at some point during the week.

Yep in the same, I had 200 calories left over yesterday. If I need then during the week they are there for me to use if I don't then it helps my weight loss more. :smile:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I do not eat them back unless I have burned 1500+ calories. That seems to be the point at which exercise starts to make me hungrier and I need a couple hundred extra calories.

I have some unique health/metabolic issues. Most people probably should eat back a significant portion of their exercise calories, but that does not work for me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes - the ones you have earned taste the best.
    You will have to account for them when you get to goal weight so why not while you are losing?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I eat every single calorie of them back. If I don't eat all of it one day I bank it for later.