can't eat fruits and veggies, without throwing up. help

Options
I have been gaining weight like crazy and to be honest, but I wasn't caring. School has been getting in the way and not really cared as much on my weight. But I weighed myself today and gain over 290 pounds. I really want to start eating right and exercising. I have a problem eating fruits and vegetables and I don't know why. I throw up if I put a pea, one pea, in my mouth. If anyone can give me advice on how to eat fruits and veggies without throwing up. :'(

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor? This could be either physical or mental.
  • summerjensen52
    Options
    No, I haven't seen a doctor about this.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't seen a doctor about this.

Why don't you start there? Find out what the trouble is with eating fruits and veggies.

Now for weight loss, that's just your standard CICO (calories in, calories out) whether it's fruit or Pop Tarts. Again, assuming no dietary restrictions or anything (your doctor can advise you there too). Have you done your calculations (or had MFP or another calculation do them for you) for your height, weight, age and activity level, so you know how many per day you need to eat in order to start losing?

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Have you seen a doctor? This could be either physical or mental.

This.
  • summerjensen52
    Options
    I don't know when I'll go to the doctor and I haven't done that calculation either.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I think your Dr might be able to help you.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    See a damn doctor! That isnt *kitten* normal.
  • Paperchains38
    Paperchains38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you would like to eat (i personally never get my 5 a day as i am lucky to hit one a day) them then you could always chop them up really small and 'hide' them in sauces e.g pasta sauces etc that way you will get the nutritian but not necessarily the flavour if that is what puts you off.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    aside from seeing a doctor....

you didnt gain 290 pounds by not eating fruits and veggies. you gained it by eating other things. and lots of them (not judging, i gained 250 doing the same.... only fruit and veggies included LOL).

start by following the mfp recommended settings (calorie limits) and see your doc. i am 99.9% sure its in your head and nothing physical, so be prepared to deal with it.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Advice: Get over it?

Seriously.

This is a problem for, like, 2-year-olds just learning to eat real food, not for grown adults, right? But any excuse will work for some folks ....

Get-over-it-logo-red.jpg

HINT: You don't have to eat a single pea, nor *any* fruit/vegetable to lose weight. All you have to do is exercise some self-control and maintain a Caloric Deficit.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If a food is making you ill eat something else that agrees with you. For weight loss figure out how many calories to eat every day and adjust your portions to stay within it. At some point you will have to check why fruits and vegetables don't agree with you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Soup
    Stew
    Ice cream / frozen yogurt
    Different ways of cooking fruit and vegetables

and a small element of work to get over it

but it boils down to calories and nutrition
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I don't know when I'll go to the doctor and I haven't done that calculation either.

Then why are you here?

This site is all about carefully entering everything you eat so that you ensure you eat less than you burn. "That calculation" is the first thing you set up.

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have been gaining weight like crazy and to be honest, but I wasn't caring. School has been getting in the way and not really cared as much on my weight. But I weighed myself today and gain over 290 pounds. I really want to start eating right and exercising. I have a problem eating fruits and vegetables and I don't know why. I throw up if I put a pea, one pea, in my mouth. If anyone can give me advice on how to eat fruits and veggies without throwing up. :'(

Well, as others have said if you are interested in weight loss, then that is what this site is for.

First you need to start logging your food into your diary and that means everything including drinks.

Go and buy a food scale to measure the food you eat in GRAMS.

That is step one.

Once you are comfortable with that then I would tackle the fruit/veggie block you have.

• amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The only way I could see this being a real problem is that if you're actually gagging or physically disgusted by fruits and veggies. I've never heard of a medical condition like that, it sounds more like a maturity problem.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of that show "freaky eaters" where people claim they can't eat anything but 1 specific food, usually something a 5 year old would want for every meal: pizza, french fries, cheesy potatoes. There was a lady who tried to eat broccoli and was dry heaving over it. They all needed to go to cognitive behavioral therapists, because these types of issues should have been worked out around age 8.
  • unlikelyathlete
    unlikelyathlete Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As someone who works with toddlers to help them tolerate textures/flavors/temperatures, I can tell you that it is sometimes a very slow process to work your way up on a texture scale. Without knowing if you have any medical issues that affect your swallow, or GI issues like reflux, slow motility, or constipation, it is very difficult to know why you have this issue. But, as others have said on here, if you eat at a calorie deficit, you shouldn't have difficulty losing weight, no matter what you eat. You may want to start taking off some pounds on foods you already know you can eat, and when it gets down to the last few pounds, then tackle the texture/flavor issue of the fruits and veggies. It is a very extreme reaction, but if you have eaten nothing but smooth or crunchy textured foods, limited yourself to just a few foods, or the like, not unheard of.
  • summerjensen52
    Options

Then why are you here?

This site is all about carefully entering everything you eat so that you ensure you eat less than you burn. "That calculation" is the first thing you set up.

[/quote]
    Oh, I did that. I wasn't sure what you were talking about.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    How about smoothies? I love the veggie smoothies at Jamba Juice. A great way to get some healthy food in. My fave is the Kale something or other - Kale, beets, apple - it's not green because of the beets, but I keep expecting it to be. lol