Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You can't out-exercise a bad diet

^^^ this is key ^^^

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Cardio is the key to weight loss. How about a tv in front of the treatdmill. Jogging or powerwalking outside...how about that. Lifting does not induce weight loss.

Professor Einstein is rolling over in his grave. E=MC², and a calorie deficit is the key to weight loss. It wouldn't matter if happy time was their only exercise. As long as there's a deficit, she will lose weight.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the key to weight loss. How about a tv in front of the treatdmill. Jogging or powerwalking outside...how about that. Lifting does not induce weight loss.

Wrong wrong wrong.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Exercise to Burn CaloriesChristopher Wharton, PhD, a certified personal trainer and researcher with the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University, put it simply: "The more time spent exercising and the more vigorous the exercise, the more calories will be burned."

Indeed, obesity expert George Bray, MD, with the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La., believes that taking a brisk walk every day is probably the single most important piece of advice for anyone wanting to burn more calories.

That has nothing to do with what you said earlier. Burn MORE does not equate to burn ANY as in KEY to weight loss. We all know that a calorie deficit is the cornerstone to weight loss. You're backpedaling from a poorly worded post. And using the logical fallacy of appeal to authority to boot.

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Facepalm.gif
    I need to lose 15 to 20 pounds but I hate the treadmill!! I do not have a gym membership and do all of my workouts at home. I love to do strength training workouts but have heard that this will not help me lose the weight. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cardio workouts that can be done at home? Or had any experience with strength training and how it affects weight loss?

1. If you hate the treadmill (or dreadmill, as some of us call it), then don't use the treadmill. Simple as that.
    2. Whoever told you strength training will not help you lose weight does not know what they're talking about and you should go ahead and ignore every single thing they say from now on.
    3. Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; fitness happens in the gym. If you're eating at a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. Do whatever exercise you enjoy doing.
    4. There's plenty of cardio you can do without a treadmill. Check out fitnessblender.com for free at-home workouts that include HIIT, cardio kickboxing, strength training, yoga/pilates, etc.

5. Never listen to this person. What a crock! Amazing that I managed to lose over 30 lbs eating 1800+ calories per day with very limited cardio and plenty of strength training. I must be a medical marvel! Me, and a bunch of other people on MFP who did the same thing.

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill, too. I like (and do) weights, kickboxing, yoga, dancing, and walking/jogging/running outside. find what you like and do it. picking up heavy things might do more for "inches" instead of "weight," but are you doing this for the numbers on the scale, or for the way your body looks?
  • jennifershoo
    Options

How can someone who's been on these forums for long enough to make 622 posts believe something like this?

Exactly my thoughts.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill deadly boring. I walk and run outside.
    Here's a gaming attachment for the treadmill if you are in to that sort of thing:
    http://www.gojiplay.com/

I completed twelve minutes on my recumbent bicycle the other day and burned a royal total of fifty calories. What's that? Half a cookie?

I do love to run. You could go through a C25K or a Running Room eight week class or online equivalent program.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what you need for weight loss as others have said here.

I've recently started more strength training. I was doing some bodyweight things before, but actually bought a small, cheaper dumbbell set to get me started. I know I'm not gaining muscle, but it is making a difference already for me that I can see and feel. I used to be very very fit and strong (not bulky or manly looking - just defined/toned), so I don't know if that is contributing as well. I do cardio just because I love to move and to earn calories some days. My absolute favorite is hiking in state parks when my body lets me.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

This is wrong. Cardio does nothing for weight loss, it just allows you to eat more and lose the same as you could with diet alone.

Strength training will help ensure that a larger % of your weight loss comes from fat, instead of fat and lean muscle.

Complete rubbish to say it does nothing. Cardio does burn calories and that helps you lose more, all things being equal. The actual effect it has depends upon duration and intensity.

The weight loss depends on calorific deficit from whatever source.

OP read up and you will see you are misinformed, but common sense says if you hate it then why do it, but go and find an alternative form of exercise that you enjoy and can do consistently, from walking to swimming, yoga etc. Anything that gets you moving and burns calories. If you join a gym and want to maximise weight loss, then do both cardio and resistance becayse they complement each other and have different benefits.

urloved33 assume thats a troll or yr wonger than a very wrong thing.

OP there are plenty of workouts on youtube or try fitnessblender.com.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    lawl
    I need to lose 15 to 20 pounds but I hate the treadmill!! I do not have a gym membership and do all of my workouts at home. I love to do strength training workouts but have heard that this will not help me lose the weight. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cardio workouts that can be done at home? Or had any experience with strength training and how it affects weight loss?

Strength workouts will help you lose weight by retaining your proportionate lean body mass, which burns greater calories than fat.

Cardiovascular exercise burns calories at a greater rate than weight lifting does during bouts of exercise.

If you don't like cardio, perhaps consider finding HIIT routines - - high intensity interval training - - which are designed to get your heart rate up high and keep it there, such that you maximize your burn and minimize the amount of time spent doing cardio.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Just don't leave the treadmill to urinate and leave your towel to indicate you aren't done using it. No gym owner would stand for that gross violation of gym rulez.

PS I am with the dragon lady, my muscles help me burn more calories at rest.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There are lots of for whom cardio is necessary to maintain a reasonable deficit - but that definitely doesn't apply to everybody. Different strokes, etc. As others have noted, make sure your diet is in line with your goals.

There are a million cardio vids on YouTube, and of course there is always going outside and running. :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do what you enjoy OP. I do encourage adding a few minutes of HIIT in (say, 10 minutes after lifting or 30 minutes once a week) to increase calorie burn slightly. Focus on diet as the key to fat loss.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

So much wrong.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    While it's hard to pinpoint just how long this effect (of aerobic exercise) lasts (it varies depending on body composition and level of training), "it’s safe to say metabolic rate can be elevated with aerobic exercise for at least 24 hours," says Wharton.

If you want to prolong this calorie-burning effect, Wharton advises exercising for longer periods.

"Studies have shown that with increases in exercise time, the elevation in resting metabolic rate is prolonged," he says.

2. Do Strength Training to Build MuscleWhen you exercise, you use muscle.

Are you just copy-pasting some poor article?
    When you do too much cardio, you lose muscle mass.
    You need strength training (lift heavy is even better) to retain your lean mass as much as possible, when you eat at a deficit and lose weight (mostly fat).
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

How can someone who's been on these forums for long enough to make 622 posts believe something like this?

Because all of her posts have been in the last week.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

I hate the treadmill as well as I find it very boring. I walk at a local park. I know that's not 'home' but it's close enough for me and maybe you can find the same?

As far a losing weight, exercise is less important than eating fewer calories than you burn.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Because all of her posts have been in the last week.

She's not new. She changed her name and her profile picture. Her old name is on the profile picture.

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    While it's hard to pinpoint just how long this effect (of aerobic exercise) lasts (it varies depending on body composition and level of training), "it’s safe to say metabolic rate can be elevated with aerobic exercise for at least 24 hours," says Wharton.

If you want to prolong this calorie-burning effect, Wharton advises exercising for longer periods.

"Studies have shown that with increases in exercise time, the elevation in resting metabolic rate is prolonged," he says.

2. Do Strength Training to Build MuscleWhen you exercise, you use muscle.

This still has nothing to do with your original post...