Wal-Mart

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
Did you know that Wal-Mart is ranked as the number one employer in 20 of the 50 United States?

Replies

• Awolkawasaki
    Awolkawasaki Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That's disgusting
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Behind the government?
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Bummer
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    No, I did not know. Interesting.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    That's disgusting

LOL! this!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    That's disgusting

agreed

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Why is that disgusting? Walmart is a large corporation, providing respectable income for many people. Would you rather they be sitting on their couch drawing welfare?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Behind the government?

LOL. :)

that includes ALL government employees, state and local.

Often the highest paid government employee is one of the service academy's football coach...

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart in something like 10 years. There's a reason their stuff is so cheap.
  • Awolkawasaki
    Options
    Why is that disgusting? Walmart is a large corporation, providing respectable income for many people. Would you rather they be sitting on their couch drawing welfare?

Respectable income? They encourage their employees to register for government programs because the Waltons need to water their plants with baby seal tears and can't pay their employees enough to be self sufficient.
  • Awolkawasaki
    Options
    Also disgusting that all our manufacturers have left
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Actually, their "respectable income" is so low that many of their workers do, in fact, draw welfare. Why would you support a company whose business model is to pay people so little that they have to rely on public assistance to survive?
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I guess it depends on where you live. Our local Walmart is clean and well-stocked with fresh produce and other foods. Target carries most of the same merchandise, just at a higher price. I have, of course, seen many different grocery stores in other areas that are dirty and unkempt. This applies to all types, not just Walmart. But for some reason Walmart always gets bashed as the low class place to shop.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

Actually, their "respectable income" is so low that many of their workers do, in fact, draw welfare. Why would you support a company whose business model is to pay people so little that they have to rely on public assistance to survive?

I agree. The baggers and greeters should make $20/hour.

Oh, by the way, your gallon of milk is now $14.

• tincanonastring
    Options

Yes, let's take the debate over a liveable wage to the most extreme example immediately. That's definitely the way to have a productive conversation.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I guess it depends on where you live. Our local Walmart is clean and well-stocked with fresh produce and other foods. Target carries most of the same merchandise, just at a higher price. I have, of course, seen many different grocery stores in other areas that are dirty and unkempt. This applies to all types, not just Walmart. But for some reason Walmart always gets bashed as the low class place to shop.

None of this has anything to do with them taking advantage of their employees and not paying a liveable wage.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

I'd hesitate to call $9.38 respectable in most markets.

US Military employs 3.2 million.
    Federal government 2.6 million.
    The Chinese army employs 2.3 million.
    Walmart employs 2.1 million.

Let the partisan bickering and hyperbole begin. Get it on!

• Awolkawasaki
    Options

Yes, let's take the debate over a liveable wage to the most extreme example immediately. That's definitely the way to have a productive conversation.

How about we take it to communism or some other extreme view?
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

I agree that for the entry-level, non college educated employees, the pay is not very high, altho Target and other stores do not pay any higher for the same employees. Neither do fast food establishments.
    This is why people should stay in school and get a good education, so that they can get higher paying jobs. BTW, the new CEO of Walmart just announced a $1.50 per hour raise in the starting pay for non-management employees, so this should help.

Also, I worked for American Airlines for many years, and their new-hire employees at one point, qualified for government assistance as well. Any job that does not require a college degree or a marketable skill, is not going to pay a whole lot.

• homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

It was just an example of how a demand driven market works. The market calls for cheap products, then you need cheap labor. If all of their people were paid at a level above what the market drives, then their products would be more expensive and they would lose business to competitors and eventually the company would fail. And the "other" company that is selling the parts cheaper is paying their employees at a market driven level.

Sorry. It is how things work.