How often do you weigh in?

Options
I originally wanted to do weekly, but I'm tempted to do daily because I'm a bit addicted. How often do you all weigh yourselves?

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I don't. But if I did, I would weigh monthly. No sense in getting stressed out about normal day to day fluctuations.

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I try to weigh daily, just so I can stay on top of things.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Every morning.
  • chappy5612
    chappy5612 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday at the same time and in the same clothes...but I also have to realize that I'm going to fluctuate daily. I just like the routine and when I do see it go up a pound or two even if its water weight, it is motivating to keep on track.
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    chappy5612 wrote: »
    I weigh everyday at the same time and in the same clothes...but I also have to realize that I'm going to fluctuate daily. I just like the routine and when I do see it go up a pound or two even if its water weight, it is motivating to keep on track.

That's what I was thinking. And even if it goes up a couple pounds, as long as adherence is continued, there's no reason that's actually gained FAT. So, maybe I could justify doing it daily then. I just wanted to convince myself I wouldn't be upset with fluctuations.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Weekly...when I remember.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Now that I've been on mainteance for last 2 years, I usually weigh myself once a week or so, just to keep everything real.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I do daily, but you really have to remind yourself that you're looking at the trend not the individual data points. My weight can vary by 7-8 lbs in a day depending on my level of hydration, carbs eaten, sodium intake, exercise level...really any number of factors.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you are going to weigh daily and are a little worried about it messing with you- I would suggest tracking it on a spreadsheet. And then tracking your cycle at the same time. You will notice correlations and that helps a ton. I go up and down based on my cycle and there is a certain point a few days after TOM leaves town that ends up being the measure I track to know if I am actually going up or down. There are so many things that can influence the scale: dehydration, salt, exercise, dinner, etc. Big picture thinking is required when tracking the daily numbers.
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. And even if it goes up a couple pounds, as long as adherence is continued, there's no reason that's actually gained FAT. So, maybe I could justify doing it daily then. I just wanted to convince myself I wouldn't be upset with fluctuations.

This right here explains why I weigh daily. It seems like the opposite would be true, but by weighing daily I feel less powerless. I used to weigh weekly and would get really hung up on that one weigh in. After all, if I didn't see what I wanted, I would have to wait another week for a loss. But by weighing daily, there is not the same pressure. If the number goes up, no big deal because I'll be weighing again tomorrow.
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was doing it daily and was kinda addicted to it. I know fluctuations are normal due to water and whatnot, but it still kinda upset me when it went up (I'm human with stupid irrational human emotions). So I actually had to put my scale away to make sure I only do it once a week.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Daily but as oftn as I like. Its whatever suits you they both have advantages. If you do daily, then make it consistent and undestand about fluctuations.

Use other methods as well becayse the scale isnt the only criteria, tape measure is important.
  • CitrusEscape
    CitrusEscape Posts: 30 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Weekly and with minimal clothing early in the morning. I don't drink/eat before I weigh myself. I also weigh myself after I pee. I don't consume too much sodium the day before weigh in neither.
  • healthy_life2015
    healthy_life2015 Posts: 215 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

This right here explains why I weigh daily. It seems like the opposite would be true, but by weighing daily I feel less powerless. I used to weigh weekly and would get really hung up on that one weigh in. After all, if I didn't see what I wanted, I would have to wait another week for a loss. But by weighing daily, there is not the same pressure. If the number goes up, no big deal because I'll be weighing again tomorrow.

All that said, I would try different things and see what works for you. You can weigh daily but only record weekly. You can also just record your low points. I have though about doing this because right now I am confident that I am at a very significant deficit and I don't cheat, so any fluctuations are not actual weight gain. I would not recommend doing this if you are still figuring things out when it comes to dieting because it can lead you astray.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Daily. My weight fluctuates +/- 3 lbs. on any given day. So I'm watching for trends.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after I pee. I've started to notice it's becoming a little obsessive for me so I'm actually going to try to wait until April 1st to weigh myself next. I can't do weekly because it reminds me too much of my weight watcher's weigh ins where I'd find ways to cheat the system.

If you think you can do it daily without it bothering you, then go for it. Be aware there will be some WTF fluctuations when you're weighing daily.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Daily but that is only recently. I started a new med for something not weight loss related but it has drastically effected my eating and weight loss and the geek in me is curious to see how it effecting the scale and every day I sneak at the scale. It is crazy..... but that's another subject.

So many things can make the scale go up. Food that still needs to be digested, excess water, etc so keep that in mind when weighing yourself.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning. Which I know is a bit obsessive, but hey, whatever keeps me motivated...
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Very good point!

As was the tip about the spreadsheet. I write it on my phones calendar to keep track.