Wal-Mart

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    They actually gained a bit of my respect when they upped their minimum wage to 9:00. That forced Target to do so as well as did TJMaxx. Hopefully it will force more companies to do so. In reality, they pay their employees better than nearly any other for low skilled type jobs.

If they would put more than 4 cashiers at the register's when I check out, I just might go there sometimes......... nahhh.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    Why is that disgusting? Walmart is a large corporation, providing respectable income for many people. Would you rather they be sitting on their couch drawing welfare?

I'd hesitate to call $9.38 respectable in most markets.

By respectable, I meant it is an honest living, as opposed to drug dealing or prostitution. Which certainly pay a lot more, but carry a much higher risk of death or imprisonment. And not usually safe for 'take your kid to work day'. ;)

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    They have as good a produce department as any other store in my area. I don't get all the negativity towards them. They are certainly doing more for our economy than the nay-sayers.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing that so many people think someones deserves to be paid more, just because. If you want to earn more money, do something to make yourself more valuable. Nobody deserves to be paid a certain amount just because they posses the skill of converting oxygen to carbon dioxide.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    I find it amusing that so many people think someones deserves to be paid more, just because. If you want to earn more money, do something to make yourself more valuable. Nobody deserves to be paid a certain amount just because they posses the skill of converting oxygen to carbon dioxide.

I concur.

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I don't think they deserve more just because. I think we, as a society, a long time ago, agreed that there was a minimum fair wage that any worker should be paid per hour. That wage has not risen in accordance with other economic measurements, and it has allowed employers to intentionally stagnate wages at every level.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    They have as good a produce department as any other store in my area. I don't get all the negativity towards them. They are certainly doing more for our economy than the nay-sayers.

Plus, if all the naysayers that say they wouldn't give them a dime, didn't give them a dime, Wal-Mart would not be in business. People complain and still shop there. I don't get it?
  • djeffreys10
    edited March 2015
    Options

I don't think they deserve more just because. I think we, as a society, a long time ago, agreed that there was a minimum fair wage that any worker should be paid per hour. That wage has not risen in accordance with other economic measurements, and it has allowed employers to intentionally stagnate wages at every level.

People that have done nothing to improve the financial value of their time in a free market. As such...translated: "I think they should be paid more just because."
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    we have 3 Walmarts in my city, and all do a great business, funny how everyone of our Target stores in the country are closing and Walmart is opening 30 new stores, a big employer here and wages are very competitive, ours are paid in the 12.00/hr range, not bad
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I buy Levi jeans at Wal-Mart for $20 a pair. I went to the western store and tried on the exact same pair only they were $89 ... they were the exact same jeans. That is why I shop at Wal-Mart! Price!
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Translated: "I think they should be paid more just because."

If that's how you want to view it. Do you believe there shouldn't be a minimum wage at all?
  • AmberStarr_87
    AmberStarr_87 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Why is that disgusting? Walmart is a large corporation, providing respectable income for many people. Would you rather they be sitting on their couch drawing welfare?

Actually, their "respectable income" is so low that many of their workers do, in fact, draw welfare. Why would you support a company whose business model is to pay people so little that they have to rely on public assistance to survive?

I agree. The baggers and greeters should make $20/hour.

Oh, by the way, your gallon of milk is now $14.

Yes, let's take the debate over a liveable wage to the most extreme example immediately. That's definitely the way to have a productive conversation.

This. +1
  • djeffreys10
    Options
    There shouldn't. I believe a person should be allowed to enter into any agreement he/she so chooses without government interference. That includes an agreement to barter his/her time with someone in exchange for whatever pay they agree upon. If you don't like what you can earn from someone, don't work for them. If you are unable to command more money, make yourself more valuable.

Funny how I do not have any law dictating that I get paid as much as I do. I made my time valuable, and my employer pays me as such.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    There shouldn't. I believe a person should be allowed to enter into any agreement he/she so chooses without government interference. That includes an agreement to barter his/her time with someone in exchange for whatever pay they agree upon. If you don't like what you can earn from someone, don't work for them. If you are unable to command more money, make yourself more valuable.

Funny how I do not have any law dictating that I get paid as much as I do. I made my time valuable, and my employer pays me as such.

I think you're dismissing minimum wage without realizing the effect it has on your own salary. I also think you vastly underestimate how difficult it can be to "make yourself more valuable" depending on your starting point.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

If that's how you want to view it. Do you believe there shouldn't be a minimum wage at all?

I think minimum wage was about $1.65 when I started working. Wasn't enough to survive. I joined the Marine Corps. 6 years later minimum wage was still under $4. I took a second job and worked all the OT available.

I believe minimum wage is necessary, but I am not so sure that everyone should be paid $15.00 for flipping burgers or pumping gas. If there is no incentive to progress, why bother. Too many people have their hand out. Too many people feel entitled.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options

The livable wage debate kills me. I can agree that people in general need to get paid a little more, but things like the "fight for 15" bug me, since I make just under 15 and I do a job where if I mess up someone could potentially die, and I have to handle HIV blood on a daily basis...
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

I think minimum wage was about $1.65 when I started working. Wasn't enough to survive. I joined the Marine Corps. 6 years later minimum wage was still under $4. I took a second job and worked all the OT available.

I believe minimum wage is necessary, but I am not so sure that everyone should be paid $15.00 for flipping burgers or pumping gas. If there is no incentive to progress, why bother. Too many people have their hand out. Too many people feel entitled.

I ran across an interesting article on politifact a year or so ago that showed how it was possible to finance an in-state college education in the late 70's on a minimum wage (less than $3/hr) summer job. Do you think that would still be a possibility? Some of it is rising college costs, but some of it is due to a stagnant minimum wage. If you're comparing $1.65/hr from your youth to $15/hr today, I can see how that seems excessive, but think of the difference in purchasing power of the dollar from back then to now.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Minimum wage is a tool to get votes. When minimum wage goes up, the companies that hire mostly minimum wage workers do two things; raise prices and cut hours to maintain their margins. That, in turn, reduces the quality (if you can call it that) of service, and makes those of us who have worked hard to get where we are pay more without a comparable bump in our non-minimum wage jobs.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    After my Divorce I went from upper class housewife to needing government assistance which they turned me down said my van cost too much although I left with the clothes on my back they wouldn't give me cash or food stamps. Wal-mart hired me at $8.00 hr to feed myself and three kids and a rottweiler which ate more than my kids. I am very grateful to Wal-mart they kept me from starving although I had to watch every penny and make sure the kids and I didn't over eat the ramen noodles and pasta that was all I could afford. But being hungry in that low paying job kept me looking for more profitable work. I went back to school and made a better living and put my two girls through college. I am grateful for that low paying job but I do believe it should be a stepping stone, not a long term job (not that there are many of those left) Wal-mart is no different from all the other places that put manufacturing jobs overseas then they ship it back to us and we are the fools that buy the products we are not allowed to make here in the USA. The one thing I do know that shorter hours will come with that raise. Wal-mart will cut back on there hours that is what all retail and restaurants do, they cut hours to make sure the profit doesn't go down. I know, my son owns two restaurants and when it's slow or he has paid what he feels is enough towards payroll he sends his manger out to send some people home. That sucks but it's life in retail and restaurants.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    jnichel wrote: »
    Minimum wage is a tool to get votes. When minimum wage goes up, the companies that hire mostly minimum wage workers do two things; raise prices and cut hours to maintain their margins. That, in turn, reduces the quality (if you can call it that) of service, and makes those of us who have worked hard to get where we are pay more without a comparable bump in our non-minimum wage jobs.

People who work minimum wage jobs don't work hard?