That was how many calories??? Guess I should check BEFORE I eat. :)

Options
ccam99
ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
I had a BLT for breakfast today from Wawa thinking it may not be that many calories considering the lettuce and tomato but wow when I logged it in it came up to 450 calories. I did add cheese which I never do at home and I guess I should have left it off. Have you eaten anything and then shook your head when you realized how many calories it cost you?

Replies

• Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It blows me away how many calories nearly ANYTHING has when you go out to eat! A trip to Johnny Carinos or Olive garden is more calories than I am shooting for in an entire day! Unbelievable what the portion sizes and caloric intakes are for servings today. Its no wonder why obesity is such an epidemic. If you werent tracking your calories how would you have any concept of how much you are overeating!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I always pre log everything to escape that problem. For instance, my dinner, lunch and snacks have already been out in my diary and I haven't even eaten my breakfast yet. It frees up your mind for the day to concentrate on other things besides counting calories.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    1 cup of cashews .. which was almost 700 calories ugh.
  • ccam99
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    I always pre log everything to escape that problem. For instance, my dinner, lunch and snacks have already been out in my diary and I haven't even eaten my breakfast yet. It frees up your mind for the day to concentrate on other things besides counting calories.

I'm not that organized yet, lol
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've done this, too many times to count, really. I think one of the things that really surprised me, though, was the fact that two slices of bread or a hamburger roll are usually upwards of 200 calories. It's gotten to the point that I eat lunch meat without bread and a hamburger patty without a bun most of the time. I'd rather use those 200+ calories on something better.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Made that mistake the first week on MFP. Coaching at a swim meet and someone asked if I wanted a coffee from Caribou, not thinking I said sure Lg Turtle Mocha, POW! 710cal, ouch
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    This time last year when I first signed up for MFP we were celebrating a birthday with a family breakfast at Bob Evans. I ordered the french toast with no sides. I was thinking by skipping the potatoes and bacon I would be fine. Oh hell no...It was 1200 calories. I was on a daily intake of 1200 calories. Not only did I cry but I learned always prelog meals. When we go out to eat I always plan ahead of time.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    ccam99 wrote: »

I'm not that organized yet, lol

After awhile, you can get to the point of figuring out what you'll have the next day and log it right before bed. When I have a get together at a restaurant, I'll ask the family or friends what restaurant they plan to go to the day before. Then I hop online and pick out what is reasonable calorie wise. You can then decide if you want to go higher calorie and exercise it off, or just deal with it, or swap it out for something more reasonable.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Me too! I have a better chance of success for the day if I pre-log. It helps that I plan the meals at home and take last night's leftovers for the next day's lunch. It also helped me to not fixate on my calories and relieved some stress worrying about having enough at night.

My biggest calorie surprise was olive oil (or any oil for that matter) I cook by the teaspoon with it now!
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Yeah, I've done this, too many times to count, really. I think one of the things that really surprised me, though, was the fact that two slices of bread or a hamburger roll are usually upwards of 200 calories. It's gotten to the point that I eat lunch meat without bread and a hamburger patty without a bun most of the time. I'd rather use those 200+ calories on something better.

Check out Aunt Millie's light breads! They have whole wheat and oatmeal breads with 35 calories per slice. They also make buns with about 110 calories each! The bread is pretty tasty too!
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    lindsayh87 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »

Check out Aunt Millie's light breads! They have whole wheat and oatmeal breads with 35 calories per slice. They also make buns with about 110 calories each! The bread is pretty tasty too!
    I LOVE aunt Millie's, pretty much the only bread I eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    450 calories for a meal seems perfectly reasonable to me...and I'm assuming Wawa is a restaurant...which makes 450 calories even that much more impressive considering you can't get much in the way of an actual meal at a restaurant under 800-1000 calories unless it's off a special low calorie menu.
  • ccam99
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    450 calories for a meal seems perfectly reasonable to me...and I'm assuming Wawa is a restaurant...which makes 450 calories even that much more impressive considering you can't get much in the way of an actual meal at a restaurant under 800-1000 calories unless it's off a special low calorie menu.

I guess it's not that bad but I didn't post that I also had an iced coffee with that at 150 calories so my breakfast was too high. I've finally finished the carton of coffee so I won't be buying that again. Wawa is actually a gas station in Maryland that has a pretty good food counter. It's always busy.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ccam99 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I guess it's not that bad but I didn't post that I also had an iced coffee with that at 150 calories so my breakfast was too high. I've finally finished the carton of coffee so I won't be buying that again. Wawa is actually a gas station in Maryland that has a pretty good food counter. It's always busy.

This was the kind of stuff that shocked my wife...not me so much because I'm a plain old coffee drinker with a splash of milk...but my wife likes all the fancy coffee drinks and most of them are calorie bombs. She used to get the grande caramel macchiato from Starbucks a lot and it's like 250 calories...for me, if I'm going to blow 250 calories I'm going to have a good craft beer.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    450 calories is nothing.

I made myself a grilled cheese yesterday... Pretty fully aware of how many calories were in everything, but figured I had 535 calories left so I'd just make it the way I want and log it after... it came out 546. For a grilled cheese. And I went light on the butter!
  • sporttabasco
    sporttabasco Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hate to eat out for this very reason. I ordered a salad at McAlister's on Sunday. I thought I had made a good choice. I went to plug it into MFP before it arrived at the table and was shocked to find that it had 850 calories in that one salad. By eating a portion of it and not putting dressing on it, I got it down to a manageable number. The good news is that I have managed to make four meals off that one salad. We are going out to eat on Friday. I asked my husband to take me to Sake Sushi. I can eat the seven piece sashima meal for very few calories and get lots of protein.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Dinner at Texas Roadhouse last night over 1,000 calories. I thought I was ordering well until I added it all up.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I weighed and logged my ingredients as I made dinner tonight, so I knew I wasn't going over or anything. But, I didn't look at my total for just the one meal. I knew it would be a little higher...but as I sat down to eat, I was shocked to see it was 794 LOL. I never make meals with that many calories anymore.

It was 1 1/2 servings whole wheat pasta (I was hungry) with 132g ground turkey, lots of zucchini sauteed in 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and 1 weighed serving pre-made pesto. It was a whole plateful. It was delicious! I'm very stuffed. But wow lol

Today was good for that kind of thing since I hadn't been hungry since breakfast. I can't do this often.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    davidcliff wrote: »
    Made that mistake the first week on MFP. Coaching at a swim meet and someone asked if I wanted a coffee from Caribou, not thinking I said sure Lg Turtle Mocha, POW! 710cal, ouch

Ha! That happened to me when I got the white chocolate Mocha From Starbucks after an hour walk on my lunch break- 370 calories. Should have gotten the caramel macchiato. I make sure I look things up now.
  • octhawk
    octhawk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Biscuits! I don't even like biscuits (I know, I'm weird) but I was at a work function and decided to eat one so that there was food on my plate and then I logged, Wow! Too many calories for a food I don't even like