2 day Fast - Kick Started my weight loss

Options

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    So you lost 2 pounds since your last weigh in from 6 months ago and it's because you fasted?

No.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of occasionally fasting. I usually do a 24-hour fast about once every 10 days or so. I look forward to the fast day. I enjoy it.

You are right - after a fast, I think better, and every personal best I have ever had in the weight room or on the trails has been fasted ..

Definitely agree there! After a fast and going to the gym it's like a burst of energy.

Interestingly enough, after +/- 3 days of fasting, your resting metabolism rate is 20% higher than normal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292

When people ask how to increase their metabolism, I'll always reply "stop eating for a couple days"

I agree, my doctor told me to fast a few days, drink lots of water and flush out my system. And when I was done to start on vegetables. It was physically impossible for me to binge eat after fasting.

Is your doctor a cartoon named "Dr Nick"? Because I'm not sure what medical doctor would tell a patient to "jump start" their weight loss by not eating for a few days and then eating only vegetables. And I am pretty sure that a medical doctor would know that virtually all of us are born with a system that flushes out our bodies, one that doesn't require us to stop eating in order to work.

Only eating vegetables after the fast and by adding more in.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this. Do you mean you are adding more in than just vegetables? So you're basically going to undo the "stomach shrinking" that you somehow accomplished by only eating vegetables?
  • JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I would binge majorly doing that!! I lost weight the old fashion way, eating in deficit and working out and I didn't need to kick start anything either.

I worked out those two days also.

I would be passing out!!

How many calories are you eating now??

I keep myself at around 1200 to 1400 calories a day
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I didn't suffer at all. It cleared my mind and there are tremendous health benefits to fasting.

Like what...?

Dizziness?
    Feeling faint?
    Passing out?

None of the above. People always didn't have food around them all their lives. You ever heard of the warrior diet? Warriors were in top shape and only ate what they could kill. If they couldn't then they ate vegetables. And most of the time it was once a day in 20-24 hour periods.

And now it's the 21st century, bud.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I didn't suffer at all. It cleared my mind and there are tremendous health benefits to fasting.

Like what...?

Dizziness?
    Feeling faint?
    Passing out?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403090259.htm

Summary: New evidence from cardiac researchers demonstrates that routine periodic fasting is good for your health, and your heart. The study found that fasting not only lowers one's risk of coronary artery disease and diabetes, but also causes significant changes in a person's blood cholesterol levels
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Fasting may help some people mentally but it does nothing to "jump start" weight loss physically. The only way to physically shrink the size of your stomach is to have it surgically altered. Fasting often leads to binge eating. The only way to lose weight in a healthy way is to decrease your calories to a sustainable level that is below your maintenance point. Also, totally cutting out foods that are deemed "bad" often leads a lot of people to have intense cravings and when they do eat it, they tend to eat in excess. Unless you know a specific food is a trigger for you there is no reason to cut anything totally out...just make it fit your calorie goal for the day.

I am only 5'3 and want to lose 5 to 10 pounds so I eat 1200 calories a day. Someone who is taller, and/or male would need more calories than me just to function.

1200 a day or 1333 a day for 9 days and 0 on the 10th day makes no difference at all to your weight loss.

You don't need calories every single day to function.
    Yes you do!!!!

That is correct and an error on my part ... the body stores energy for times where we can.t eat - so yes you do need calories to function.

You don't need to eat every day to function.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I would binge majorly doing that!! I lost weight the old fashion way, eating in deficit and working out and I didn't need to kick start anything either.

I would be passing out!!

A 26 year old man needs way more than 1200-1400 calories/day.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I would be passing out!!

Your 26 years old you should be at least doing twice that amount, so much for lean muscles, *facepalm*
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting with intermittent fasting the past couple months using the leangains approach. There is a lot of interesting information on the site. Check it out if you want to. http://www.leangains.com/
  • JaimusWilliams
    Options

I would be passing out!!

Your 26 years old you should be at least doing twice that amount, so much for lean muscles, *facepalm*

Actually I can lift a great deal and don't need to consume more calories if I don't wish. I feel perfectly fine. Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't believe everything you hear based on media and government standards.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Bunch of negativeness coming on these forums. Just because you don't agree with something.

Welcome to the internet and different opinions. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it would work for everyone else. And to be fair, you asked if other people fasted or did what you do. You've gotten mostly no's and 1-2 yeses. If you didn't want peoples' opinions, you shouldn't have asked.

And you don't need to eat 1200-1400 calories as a 26 year old male to lose weight. I'd suggest giving this a read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Like what...?

Dizziness?
    Feeling faint?
    Passing out?

Summary: New evidence from cardiac researchers demonstrates that routine periodic fasting is good for your health, and your heart. The study found that fasting not only lowers one's risk of coronary artery disease and diabetes, but also causes significant changes in a person's blood cholesterol levels

I totally reverse my heart disease to zilch eating foods!!! Figure that one out, again, I must be miracle, lol!!!

ETA: I never had high cholesterol either, not even when I was fat and yesterday My cardio doctor said I had a blood pressure of a teenager and never did I do a fasting either.
  • sullus
    edited March 2015
    Options

Like what...?

Dizziness?
    Feeling faint?
    Passing out?

I totally reverse my heart disease to zilch eating foods!!! Figure that one out, again, I must be miracle, lol!!!

Right. Because it can only be one or the other. There's no way 2 different things could still be beneficial in different ways.

Not on my watch.

And you fixed it by getting fitter. Not by eating food.
  • JaimusWilliams
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Bunch of negativeness coming on these forums. Just because you don't agree with something.

Welcome to the internet and different opinions. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it would work for everyone else. And to be fair, you asked if other people fasted or did what you do. You've gotten mostly no's and 1-2 yeses. If you didn't want peoples' opinions, you shouldn't have asked.

And you don't need to eat 1200-1400 calories as a 26 year old male to lose weight. I'd suggest giving this a read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes/No and saying they don't because they believe it's not healthy is an opinion. Just because you say people "have the right to an opinion" doesn't excuse their judgment.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I would be passing out!!

Actually I can lift a great deal and don't need to consume more calories if I don't wish. I feel perfectly fine. Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't believe everything you hear based on media and government standards.

Well, it's slightly better than just saying "It's known" that something works or talking about the way vague "warriors" ate.
  • JaimusWilliams
    edited March 2015
    Options

Like what...?

Dizziness?
    Feeling faint?
    Passing out?

ETA: I never had high cholesterol either, not even when I was fat and yesterday My cardio doctor said I had a blood pressure of a teenager and never did I do a fasting either.

I got rid of pre-diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure once I started occasionally fasting. For weeks I only ate once a day and never felt better. I didn't eat just junk though. I ate veggies, nuts, and fruits and some meat.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes/No and saying they don't because they believe it's not healthy is an opinion. Just because you say people "have the right to an opinion" doesn't excuse their judgment.

Yeah, the idea that the human body needs sufficient energy to function and that a male body needs more than 1,200 - 1,400 to retain muscle mass is just a wacky "opinion" that we picked up by putting too much faith in the government.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of occasionally fasting. I usually do a 24-hour fast about once every 10 days or so. I look forward to the fast day. I enjoy it.

You are right - after a fast, I think better, and every personal best I have ever had in the weight room or on the trails has been fasted ..

Definitely agree there! After a fast and going to the gym it's like a burst of energy.

Interestingly enough, after +/- 3 days of fasting, your resting metabolism rate is 20% higher than normal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292

When people ask how to increase their metabolism, I'll always reply "stop eating for a couple days"

I agree, my doctor told me to fast a few days, drink lots of water and flush out my system. And when I was done to start on vegetables. It was physically impossible for me to binge eat after fasting.

Is your doctor a cartoon named "Dr Nick"? Because I'm not sure what medical doctor would tell a patient to "jump start" their weight loss by not eating for a few days and then eating only vegetables. And I am pretty sure that a medical doctor would know that virtually all of us are born with a system that flushes out our bodies, one that doesn't require us to stop eating in order to work.

Hi everybody!

a79gmtde9qpv.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Like what...?

Dizziness?
    Feeling faint?
    Passing out?

Congratulations. I'm not sure what that has to do with my post, but well done!
  • sullus
    Options

Yeah, the idea that the human body needs sufficient energy to function and that a male body needs more than 1,200 - 1,400 to retain muscle mass is just a wacky "opinion" that we picked up by putting too much faith in the government.

When I went from 300+ down to 220, I did it with a regimen of weightlifting and cardio. I averaged about 1500 calories a day, and a "high" protein day would have been 90-100g. I had my body fat estimated using both calipers and an ultrasound before and after this process. Both times, my lbm was estimated to be 185 lbs. Its harder to lose muscle than a lof of people on here seem to think it is.