2 day Fast - Kick Started my weight loss

Options

Replies

• JaimusWilliams
    JaimusWilliams Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Bunch of negativeness coming on these forums. Just because you don't agree with something.

Welcome to the internet and different opinions. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it would work for everyone else. And to be fair, you asked if other people fasted or did what you do. You've gotten mostly no's and 1-2 yeses. If you didn't want peoples' opinions, you shouldn't have asked.

And you don't need to eat 1200-1400 calories as a 26 year old male to lose weight. I'd suggest giving this a read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes/No and saying they don't because they believe it's not healthy is an opinion. Just because you say people "have the right to an opinion" doesn't excuse their judgment.

Yeah, the idea that the human body needs sufficient energy to function and that a male body needs more than 1,200 - 1,400 to retain muscle mass is just a wacky "opinion" that we picked up by putting too much faith in the government.

Actually, me being overweight helps me have the energy when I fast. It is burning fat and I make sure to lift to try to keep a balance. I have seen my strength improve. Now if I was already at my "BMI" I wouldn't be able to stick to the same calories. I would need to adjust it or else I'd be to skinny. Now, everytime you eat your body needs to focus on digesting food that you put into it. In turn that takes away from your body trying to fight bacteria and infections etc. You ever notice when most people are sick they don't want to eat? It's your body telling you it needs to heal. They're are many many more benefits to fasting. I'm just scratching the surface. I have read many books on all different diets and fads and life styles. Everything from fasting to people drinking their own urine... Yes people do that, and that's good for them if they like it.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    So you didn't eat food for two days and lost weight? That's not really an epic scientific breakthrough.

I agree with everyone else that you're under-eating for how old you are and your sex. Tell me, why is it you don't want to eat food? Like, if you could lose weight eating 2000 calories instead of 1200, why would you want to eat so little?
  • JaimusWilliams
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    So you didn't eat food for two days and lost weight? That's not really an epic scientific breakthrough.

I agree with everyone else that you're under-eating for how old you are and your sex. Tell me, why is it you don't want to eat food? Like, if you could lose weight eating 2000 calories instead of 1200, why would you want to eat so little?

I eat food all day.. I just don't eat 2000+. I reach those numbers on the weekend. I don't typically eat meat during the week. I eat, I get full. Why force myself to eat more if I don't feel the need to?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Bunch of negativeness coming on these forums. Just because you don't agree with something.

Welcome to the internet and different opinions. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it would work for everyone else. And to be fair, you asked if other people fasted or did what you do. You've gotten mostly no's and 1-2 yeses. If you didn't want peoples' opinions, you shouldn't have asked.

And you don't need to eat 1200-1400 calories as a 26 year old male to lose weight. I'd suggest giving this a read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes/No and saying they don't because they believe it's not healthy is an opinion. Just because you say people "have the right to an opinion" doesn't excuse their judgment.

Yeah, the idea that the human body needs sufficient energy to function and that a male body needs more than 1,200 - 1,400 to retain muscle mass is just a wacky "opinion" that we picked up by putting too much faith in the government.

Actually, me being overweight helps me have the energy when I fast. It is burning fat and I make sure to lift to try to keep a balance. I have seen my strength improve. Now if I was already at my "BMI" I wouldn't be able to stick to the same calories. I would need to adjust it or else I'd be to skinny. Now, everytime you eat your body needs to focus on digesting food that you put into it. In turn that takes away from your body trying to fight bacteria and infections etc. You ever notice when most people are sick they don't want to eat? It's your body telling you it needs to heal. They're are many many more benefits to fasting. I'm just scratching the surface. I have read many books on all different diets and fads and life styles. Everything from fasting to people drinking their own urine... Yes people do that, and that's good for them if they like it.

Saying that digestion takes away from your body's ability to fight off disease is ridiculous. Digesting vegetables is no different than digesting any other food. Digestion is one of those basic body functions that is automatic, like breathing, or your heartbeat. Are you saying if I hold my breath a lot my body will be able to fight off disease better?

And "At my BMI" isn't really a thing. BMI is a scale meant to give population averages; it's not a foolproof chart for individuals.

How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • JaimusWilliams
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Saying that digestion takes away from your body's ability to fight off disease is ridiculous. Digesting vegetables is no different than digesting any other food. Digestion is one of those basic body functions that is automatic, like breathing, or your heartbeat. Are you saying if I hold my breath a lot my body will be able to fight off disease better?

And "At my BMI" isn't really a thing. BMI is a scale meant to give population averages; it's not a foolproof chart for individuals.

How much weight are you trying to lose?

Actually vegetables are healthy due to the nutrients they contain. I said not having any food in your system aids your body to fight disease. IE fasting. I originally said after a fast I like to end it on vegetables since it helps my digestion. If I add meats into it and go to quick it makes me feel not so good. I should have of cleared that up. My apologies.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Is anyone else thinking troll post? You had me going until...
    Everything from fasting to people drinking their own urine... Yes people do that, and that's good for them if they like it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Everything from fasting to people drinking their own urine... Yes people do that, and that's good for them if they like it.

Lost me about 2 lines before that.
    Now, everytime you eat your body needs to focus on digesting food that you put into it. In turn that takes away from your body trying to fight bacteria and infections etc. You ever notice when most people are sick they don't want to eat? It's your body telling you it needs to heal.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

The things people will do to lose weight!! :(
  • JaimusWilliams
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

People don't drink urine to lose weight. They do it because they believe putting back bacteria into their body will help it fight off the same bacteria. Or something along those lines.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

People don't drink urine to lose weight. They do it because they believe putting back bacteria into their body will help it fight off the same bacteria. Or something along those lines.
    Is that along the same lines as the poop transplant?
    Curious minds want to know

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Now, everytime you eat your body needs to focus on digesting food that you put into it. In turn that takes away from your body trying to fight bacteria and infections etc. You ever notice when most people are sick they don't want to eat? It's your body telling you it needs to heal.

Well it is a well known fact that the body can only do one thing at a time. It is not a complex multi-organ functioning system capable of doing things like digesting food AND fighting infection at the same time. It's obviously one or the other. That's probably why you aren't supposed to go swimming within 30 minutes of eating. Your body is too busy digesting the food and you won't be able to stay afloat.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »

When I went from 300+ down to 220, I did it with a regimen of weightlifting and cardio. I averaged about 1500 calories a day, and a "high" protein day would have been 90-100g. I had my body fat estimated using both calipers and an ultrasound before and after this process. Both times, my lbm was estimated to be 185 lbs. Its harder to lose muscle than a lof of people on here seem to think it is.

If you drop from 300 to a healthy weight range you have to lose some lbm. Your body adapted and added more of it when you became morbidly obese and now it will not need it.

I get that. It's actually been really difficult to drop LBM for me, and I want to drop to about 165 lbs of LBM so I can approach 200lbs total weight at 20% bodyfat (I'm 5'9")
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    skullshank wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I wanted to eat less. So I went on a 2 day fast. Drank Coffee, teas, and lots of water. It was hard I gave in once or twice to a yogurt.

After it was done I started by eating only veggies so I can keep my stomach small. So far it worked like a charm and has helped. I no longer need to eat huge portions to help me get full. However, I know I can eat much more. I am trying to find the line between a good full and a bad full.

Has anyone else fasted?

i dont understand how eating veggies keeps your stomach small.
    please explain.

Not small, easier to digest so you don't expand your stomach with heavy foods. Veggies like spinach, zuccini, kale. Not potatoes, those are heavier.

you dont mean small, you mean easier to digest?
    but then you say heavy foods expand your stomach.
    son, what the hell are you talking about?

Ok... Mr. Wise Guy.....

It's known that when you fast your stomach shrinks and in light of that it makes you eat less. Now after a fast is done... Your best bet is to eat vegatables due to the high fiber and it makes you feel fool faster. After fasting it's not wise to eat heavy foods. If you'd like to learn more ab a book and read.

lol ok.

while the stomach does have an elastic quality to it, it wont "shrink" in 2 days. it will remain deflated and empty until you fill it up again and then it will go back to the size it would be regardless whether you're filling it with kale or jelly beans.

and if youre lifting (DYELB), you may find that adding protein will help you retain your LBM (as well has keep you satiated) and carbs will give you the energy you need.

you seem to have it all figured out though.

9630cs-gaggif.gif
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

When I went from 300+ down to 220, I did it with a regimen of weightlifting and cardio. I averaged about 1500 calories a day, and a "high" protein day would have been 90-100g. I had my body fat estimated using both calipers and an ultrasound before and after this process. Both times, my lbm was estimated to be 185 lbs. Its harder to lose muscle than a lof of people on here seem to think it is.

I'm glad it worked for you, but it seems very low to offer as generally acceptable for males. OP says he is eating 1,200 to 1,400 a day and if he is eating mostly non-starchy vegetables, I don't know if he is getting as much protein as you did.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I do lots of things when I'm sick that I don't normally do to lose weight. Sometimes I sleep all day. Sometimes I vomit. Sometimes I run a fever. Extrapolating that what we do when we are sick is what we should do in order to have our body run well all the time is . . unusual.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Well it is a well known fact that the body can only do one thing at a time. It is not a complex multi-organ functioning system capable of doing things like digesting food AND fighting infection at the same time. It's obviously one or the other. That's probably why you aren't supposed to go swimming within 30 minutes of eating. Your body is too busy digesting the food and you won't be able to stay afloat.

Did I ever tell you about the time I tried breathing and walking? That was a rough day.