Is a Personal Trainer worth it?

Options
So, I'm going to start working this week (just signed up for a membership at the gym) and haven't worked out in over a year or more. My end goal is to lose 60 pounds. I know a bit of what I'm doing but have been considering a personal trainer. At this gym I can get three sessions for $140 that last about an hour each. I'm thinking of just doing the three sessions so the trainer can show me how to start. Would you think this is worth it or not? I'm doing 45 minutes of Cardio and 30 mins of some weight lifting but don't really know how to balance it out so I can lose weight and gain muscle. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you go in and just ask the trainer for help with form on the lifts, it's worth it to pay for three sessions. Pretty much everything else you need can be found here or through research on the internet. Many times the trainers are only authorized to do circuit routines or specific exercises, so check first to see what the sessions will entail.
  • emkohler77
    emkohler77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think it's very worth it, especially just for 3 sessions. It's great to get feedback and I am learning so much more with the individual attention.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Worth if you can find one that actually knows how to perform and teach the big lifts. Sadly, I've seen way too many cringe-worthy trainers.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Really does depend on the trainer, can be one of the best investments you'll make if you find a good one. Is there anyone you can ask for a recommendation?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Form is your friend, but before you go in with a trainer, you’ll need to define your goals very clearly.

Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.

Exercise should be focused on other fitness goals (strength, muscle mass gain/retention, endurance, cardiovascular, mobility, balance, speed, agility, etc.)

So, figure out what you want out of a fitness program and get the trainer to help you understand how to lift/train to meet that goal.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It might be a good investment to hire a personal trainer for several sessions, to help you set up a program, realistic goals, and learn how to use machines.

Make sure you're clear about your goals, and that you want a specific, personal, written program, as well as instruction on how to make things harder as you progress. If the trainer can't do that, or isn't willing, find someone else.

There's no reason to have someone standing over you while you exercise, so use the time to learn to do things with good form, not to do all the repetitions you need to count as a workout.
    Learn the weight machines, as well as free weights & cable machines, so you have a variety of options.

Also, find out ahead of time what this person's credentials are (degree in exercise science, or a certification as a trainer, and from where), then make sure they're valid.

Here's where you can search for people in your area who are certified by the American College of Sports Medicine:
    http://members.acsm.org/source/custom/Online_locator/OnlineLocator.cfm
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    A good trainer, yes. Here are some perspectives on how to choose a good one:

http://body-improvements.com/articles/industry-articles/how-to-select-a-personal-trainer/
    http://www.stumptuous.com/how-to-choose-a-personal-trainer
    http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/personal-trainer-break-up-signs/

PRO TIP: To prevent debilitating soreness, 1 week before you meet, do 1 set of 12 repetitions on the leg press, chest press, and seated row (all machines), using a weight that's heavy. 3 days before, do 2 sets.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    A good trainer, yes. Here are some perspectives on how to choose a good one:

http://body-improvements.com/articles/industry-articles/how-to-select-a-personal-trainer/
    http://www.stumptuous.com/how-to-choose-a-personal-trainer
    http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/personal-trainer-break-up-signs/

PRO TIP: To prevent debilitating soreness, 1 week before you meet, do 1 set of 12 repetitions on the leg press, chest press, and seated row (all machines), using a weight that's heavy. 3 days before, do 2 sets.

Seriously? You think that's going to help? LOL

My PT is worth his weight in gold ... actually more than that .. he's worth my starting weight in gold ;)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    $140 for three sessions seems very high. I did a small group session (three of us) at the YMCA which was $150.00 for twelve sessions, and learned a LOT!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    $140 is worth it if you can get a program that includes lifting free weights, instruction on how to do the lifts properly, and other advice. If it is just three training sessions, it would be a bit expensive for an intro offer.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mine's £45 an hour session - that's $67 a session

I still think he's worth it

good job I'm old and rich eh? ;)
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Form is your friend, but before you go in with a trainer, you’ll need to define your goals very clearly.

Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.

Exercise should be focused on other fitness goals (strength, muscle mass gain/retention, endurance, cardiovascular, mobility, balance, speed, agility, etc.)

So, figure out what you want out of a fitness program and get the trainer to help you understand how to lift/train to meet that goal.

BINGO!

• StrugglingtoMove
    StrugglingtoMove Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    DavidG789 wrote: »
    So, I'm going to start working this week (just signed up for a membership at the gym) and haven't worked out in over a year or more. My end goal is to lose 60 pounds. I know a bit of what I'm doing but have been considering a personal trainer. At this gym I can get three sessions for $140 that last about an hour each. I'm thinking of just doing the three sessions so the trainer can show me how to start. Would you think this is worth it or not? I'm doing 45 minutes of Cardio and 30 mins of some weight lifting but don't really know how to balance it out so I can lose weight and gain muscle. Any advice is appreciated.

It is when you first start. That way they can teach you how to use the quipment properly and teach you correct formation of exercises. After that you will be good alone. If you need them as motivation, pay for a friend or find a stranger near you and pay for their membership. Thats usually cheaper.

• rocardy
    rocardy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was very particular when I was looking for a trainer, I wanted someone with a nutrition background, not just their education in fitness/kinseology/physiology.

Know what goals you want to set for yourself, this makes the conversation with the trainer easier.

When talking with the trainer make it clear if your goal is short term or long term.

Good luck in your decision.

Ps. I paid $206 for 6 personal sessions for my trainer at my local YMCA. Price may vary by location, but stop in and check them out.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    For the three sessions, to learn the basics, absolutely.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on your needs and whether or not the trainer you hire can meet those needs.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    mine charged £140 for 3 sessions plus programme design. He has designed a full cardio and weight training programme for me. Also includes ad hoc consultancy if Ive any questions between sessions. The sole purpose was to design the programme, rather than come along and gee me along, but for me its been worth every penny... Im now on a road specifically tailored to get me the results I want.
  • mhanispeedy
    mhanispeedy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    2 years back i was in the same boat , where i was just asking coach to help me , and not putting my effort, and he gave me a strict diet ( totally 0 carbs and veggies ) lol!!
    Then i left him after 1 month and joined a new gym where i can exercise whatever i want and a free coaching
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Compared to doing no lifting the week before.. absolutely. A good trainer won't do more than 2-3 heavy sets per muscle group the first workout with someone who hasn't lifted in a while.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Compared to doing no lifting the week before.. absolutely. A good trainer won't do more than 2-3 heavy sets per muscle group the first workout with someone who hasn't lifted in a while.

A good trainer won't do any heavy sets with someone inexperienced.