Veggies, eck!

Replies

• Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Try some of the recipes on Thug Kitchen (parental guidance is suggested). I prefer raw veggies but a lot of their cooked recipes are pretty good.
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    I have to say that I love veggies. It's tough if you don't like them, but there are certain vitamins and minerals that can only be found in them, that we need for proper nutrition. If you have not already, try sautéing them in olive oil with tons of spices! Also grilling them makes them taste very good. There are lots of ways to make them more palatable for a non-veggie lover :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am sure there is a centenarian somewhere who managed to get through life consuming a minimum of vegetable matter. But national guidelines do recommend a minimum number of servings of fruit and vegetables a day for a reason (adult male, 8-10).

So what are you missing out, health-wise? Fiber for bulk and digestion, and some micro-nutrients. You could theoretically replace them with a fiber supplement and a multivitamin.

I think you could agree to try a new vegetable dish once a week. She can flag the successes and have them more often. I do this with my hubby.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    five years ago, this would've been me. i got used to them, slowly but surely. started off roasting them with oil and garlic, or hiding them in sauce. now i'm cooking them myself and eating a second helping of them.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    As a veggie lover I don't get it...but as others say, make them tastier, roast them, spice them up and just keep trying them, I am pretty sure you will come to enjoy them if you give them a chance :smile:
  • breezy0906
    breezy0906 Posts: 164 Member
    The problem could be in the way shes making them. no offence to your wife. But if shes not seasoning them and just steaming them and slapping them on a plate well then yeah I wouldn't like them either. The roasting Idea is good too. with olive oil sea salt and pepper. Stuff like carrots and squash you can make sweet with brown sugar and nutmeg instead of salt and pepper.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    I don't like vegetables either. Bring on the judgement.

How about instead of having veggies everyday, alternate each night with what you love to eat and what she likes to eat?

If she's getting tired of making food you don't like, maybe she should try making food you like. She can't just expect you to like vegetables just because she prepared them. I'm assuming whatever entree she's making has vegetables in it? My mom makes lasagna with green peppers, onions, and mushrooms in the sauce. Everyone else loves it, I can't stand it. You have different tastes and if you only want to make one dinner you're both going to have to compromise.

I think the alternating idea is a good one. Maybe she can make the veggies the side sometimes rather than part of the entree? Or you could have a sandwich for dinner instead.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    I actually get sick if I don't have a mixing bowl full of fresh chopped salad every day. But when veggies are cooked I'm not as big a fan. Try roasting root veggies with a tiny bit of olive oil, salt and balsamic vinegar. Their flavors are intensified and so yummy.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited March 2015
    I HATE veggies (don't judge). My wife loves them and is getting tired of cooking meals that I dont want to eat. (I do it begrudginly because I love her, though). She doesn't want to "hide" them because she likes the flavor. We cannot afford to make two different meals each dinner. Suggestions?

You should take over all meal preparation and cooking. Then you can fix what you like.

It is really big of you to begrudgingly eat the meals she fixes for you. I imagine it makes her feel great to know that she is begrudgingly appreciated. :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member

How about instead of having veggies everyday, alternate each night with what you love to eat and what she likes to eat?

If she's getting tired of making food you don't like, maybe she should try making food you like. She can't just expect you to like vegetables just because she prepared them. I'm assuming whatever entree she's making has vegetables in it? My mom makes lasagna with green peppers, onions, and mushrooms in the sauce. Everyone else loves it, I can't stand it. You have different tastes and if you only want to make one dinner you're both going to have to compromise.

I think the alternating idea is a good one. Maybe she can make the veggies the side sometimes rather than part of the entree? Or you could have a sandwich for dinner instead.

Personally, I think if they are going to alternate meals catering to taste, then each person should be responsible for preparing the food they "like."

Although, I really don't think "not eating any veg" is a really good way to role model good eating habits to kids...if wee humans are in your future plans, you might want to think about what you can do to help them learn to love vegetables all along.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Whenever I see "I hate veggies" I read "I hate food." But that's just me. I don't know if I could live on only meat and bread/grains.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member

Or maybe he should make his own food. Why is it her responsibility?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    bostonwolf wrote: »

Because, female.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    bostonwolf wrote: »

It's not her responsibility. I got the impression she's the cook. OP said she was complaining about him not liking what she makes. You can't force someone to like veggies or anything else you cook. As I said, they need to find a compromise which may involve him making himself a sandwich.
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    You can put your veggie side with sauce to help cover the flavor, while your wife can eat hers plain. I find that eating each bit of veggies with a bit of rice, or whatever else we're having, helps me. Also, try cauliflowered rice! It's like a rice side dish but made with cauliflower. Yum!
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    sullus wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    There is no requirement to eat veggies.

Wrong, wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Actually, humans REQUIRE vegetables for health.

There is so much variety among vegetables and so many different ways to cook them that you are bound to be able to retrain yourself not to reject them out of hand == and you MUST if you intend to "live long and prosper."

Humans require what's in vegetables for health, but they don't actually require the vegetables.

^ Yep. That.

• jgnatca
    The first couple years of our marriage was all about splitting up the chores. My daughter was genuinely worried as neither one of us wanted to do "floors". I won that battle.

I ended up with the cooking.

I haven't done laundry in twelve years. Bonus!
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    It's called being an adult.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Throw some cheese on them. Done and done.
  • jgnatca
    Ooops. Got interrupted by said husband. I'm in charge of cooking. He never complains. If he doesn't like it, he takes less of it and breaks out the beans. Somehow he's finagled when it's "Fish Night" and finds any excuse not to eat at home that night.

On my part, I'd like to serve meals he likes, so I flag the family favourites and make them more often. I experiment more than he does so some nights he's in for an adventure.