Does waist training really work?

Options

Replies

• adriat
    adriat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This whole concept just sounds wrong. I don't get why people invest in this. Who wants the fat pushed somewhere else? Why not just work to eliminate it? Also...lying to your family sounds better than rearranging your internal parts. Not sure I understand the logic.

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've read some into it and it has led into deformed rib-cage, constricting organs, dislocation of ribs, and other long term effects. I personally wouldn't try it.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hopefully someone will post the picture of what these things do to your organs :noway:
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone will post the picture of what these things do to your organs :noway:
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

Perfect
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The only thing it trains your waist to do is be weak and deformed.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

Wow that sure looks awesome........

NOT. I'll stick to my naturally abnormal body shape where my organs are where they like to be ha ha!
  • Nectere
    Nectere Posts: 24
    Options
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

By which you're saying 'let's post pictures of what Victorians thought corsets did to your body, rather than doing actual research into what they actually do?' That's an outdated "medical" drawing based on what people thought they did. Any waist-trainer worth their salt who has the option will get doctor approval before wearing a corset.
    So what you're saying is that this method does in fact push internal organs out of their usual position, similar to the end stages of pregnancy which, by the way, can be seriously uncomfortable...and were never by nature intended to be a permanent situation (and, given an 9.5-month pregnancy, don't exist for the entire pregnancy anyway, but only the final trimester, generally).

Yes it can shift organs, especially if you lace all at one in the beginning of the day, rather than in stages, like most suggest. Guess what, though? Once you take it off, they move right back, no worse for wear, no bruising, no damage, and if a corset is uncomfortable, you're doing it wrong. Corsets, contrary to popular belief are not painful and do not stop you from breathing. If I can sing La Luce Langue laced down seven inches without a problem, breathing is not going to be an issue for a person just going about their day.
    This whole concept just sounds wrong. I don't get why people invest in this. Who wants the fat pushed somewhere else? Why not just work to eliminate it? Also...lying to your family sounds better than rearranging your internal parts. Not sure I understand the logic.

Again corsets have nothing to do with losing weight. I invest in it because I like being able to go about my day without being in extreme pain. For me, since I do not "get full" it also provides me with an alert that my body does not provide. That is not the reason I wear it. I am also a little dismayed that so many people advocate deception and lying to the people they claim to care about, but that's their business.

Let me say this again. Corset training is not about losing weight. I do not advocate any kind of waist-training for the purpose of losing weight. The only real way to lose weight is by watching food and exercise intake and burning more than you take in. I also do not advocate starting waist-training without checking with a doctor first.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

Wow that sure looks awesome........

NOT. I'll stick to my naturally abnormal body shape where my organs are where they like to be ha ha!

Me too. I'll stick with my unmodified waist. Somehow, my friends and family seem to love me anyway.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nectere wrote: »
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

By which you're saying 'let's post pictures of what Victorians thought corsets did to your body, rather than doing actual research into what they actually do?' That's an outdated "medical" drawing based on what people thought they did. Any waist-trainer worth their salt who has the option will get doctor approval before wearing a corset.
    So what you're saying is that this method does in fact push internal organs out of their usual position, similar to the end stages of pregnancy which, by the way, can be seriously uncomfortable...and were never by nature intended to be a permanent situation (and, given an 9.5-month pregnancy, don't exist for the entire pregnancy anyway, but only the final trimester, generally).

Yes it can shift organs, especially if you lace all at one in the beginning of the day, rather than in stages, like most suggest. Guess what, though? Once you take it off, they move right back, no worse for wear, no bruising, no damage, and if a corset is uncomfortable, you're doing it wrong. Corsets, contrary to popular belief are not painful and do not stop you from breathing. If I can sing La Luce Langue laced down seven inches without a problem, breathing is not going to be an issue for a person just going about their day.

Again corsets have nothing to do with losing weight. I invest in it because I like being able to go about my day without being in extreme pain. For me, since I do not "get full" it also provides me with an alert that my body does not provide. That is not the reason I wear it. I am also a little dismayed that so many people advocate deception and lying to the people they claim to care about, but that's their business.

Let me say this again. Corset training is not about losing weight. I do not advocate any kind of waist-training for the purpose of losing weight. The only real way to lose weight is by watching food and exercise intake and burning more than you take in. I also do not advocate starting waist-training without checking with a doctor first.

So do you have any links to support this data about what the organs "actually" do? You say the attached image is wrong, and it may be. Where is your data that supports what you say actually happens to the organs, that they remain undamaged and so on? For instance, do you have any images of xrays or MRIs that we may look at? And do you have any medical data (for instance, studies) that support your claims?

You may say, "Your information is wrong and mine is right," but that's not a foregone conclusion. Both may actually be wrong, until we see some supporting evidence.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,780 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    "I am also a little dismayed that so many people advocate deception and lying to the people they claim to care about, but that's their business."

When you use a corset to convince yourself that you are full, you are lying to yourself.

So is it worse to lie to yourself, or to lie to loved ones about being full even if you aren't, especially if for some reason the social dynamic demands that you report your state of satiety before getting up from the table?

While loved ones can often be invaluably supportive when you try to become healthier, just as often they prove to be major stumbling blocks.

It sure sounds like you need to engage in loved-one management!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    "I am also a little dismayed that so many people advocate deception and lying to the people they claim to care about, but that's their business."

When you use a corset to convince yourself that you are full, you are lying to yourself.

So is it worse to lie to yourself, or to lie to loved ones about being full even if you aren't, especially if for some reason the social dynamic demands that you report your state of satiety before getting up from the table?

While loved ones can often be invaluably supportive when you try to become healthier, just as often they prove to be a major stumbling block.

It sure sounds like you need to figure out how to manage YOUR loved ones!

:+1: so true

I lie to my husband and family all the time about my weight loss. They ask "Are you done losing weight" and I say yes! It makes them happy and keeps them off my back :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

Yep it works to move your organs to where they don't belong!
  • Nectere
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

So do you have any links to support this data about what the organs "actually" do? You say the attached image is wrong, and it may be. Where is your data that supports what you say actually happens to the organs, that they remain undamaged and so on? For instance, do you have any images of xrays or MRIs that we may look at? And do you have any medical data (for instance, studies) that support your claims?

You may say, "Your information is wrong and mine is right," but that's not a foregone conclusion. Both may actually be wrong, until we see some supporting evidence.

Okay! :)

Here's another one of those Victorian drawings for you.

corset-training-before-and-after.jpg

Looks horrendous right? Just like the one offered up before as "proof," we can see the effect on the ribs in this drawing. except, that doesn't happen.

Modern studies in car crashes prove how much pressure it takes to deform the ribs, and it's far more than a corset could offer with only a few steel bones. (See: The biomechanics of human ribs: material and structural properties from dynamic tension and bending tests. [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18278600] and Material properties of human rib cortical bone from dynamic tension coupon testing. [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17096275])

Now, organ shifts. Am I saying these don't happen? No. They absolutely do. Is this harmful is the question. Here, you can see aforementioned tightlacer Eden Berlin, standing beside Dr. Eckhart von Hirschhausen, and MRI scans of her in and out of the corset, while wearing the special non-ferrous corset made explicitly for this.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-08-at-11.04.20-AM.png

You can obviously see that the organs do shift, however, neither the kidneys nor the lungs have moved or deformed in such a way as to impact their ability to function. Making the first two hypotheses presented by Dr. Hirschhausen (A. The lungs are compromised, so she has a lack of oxygen. B. The kidneys are compressed, so they are less efficient at filtering.) inaccurate. Again, this is a tightlacer, who in this corset has an extreme 20% waist reduction - not a reduction worn by a waist-trainer on a normal day.

Now, let's look at other organs shall we?

Screen-Shot-2014-10-08-at-11.07.38-AM.png

Now, we're looking at the digestive system, particularly the intestines and the colon. Now, because this corset was tightlaced in one go (which is not recommended, but many people do,) you can see that it is stuck in above and below. This may look graphic, but it is not harmful, in fact, it can be helpful. "An MRI investigation into the function of the transversus abdominis muscle during "drawing-in" of the abdominal wall." by Dr. J. Hides, Division of Physiotherapy, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, published in Spine medical journal, found that both drawing in those muscles, or forcing the colon to move for any length of time, actually improved the stabilization of the lumbopelvic region.

Now, by looking at this picture, we can see that unlike the drawing above (the one I posted) the liver and the stomach lie below the corset, not above it.

As far as the intestines, the MRI shows, Dr. Hirschhausen's third hypothesis, that the intestines are moved and digestion would slow is the correct one. However, how much they move will depend on the percentage of reduction you're using with a corset. Dr. Hirschhausen found that there was no risk to any organs by tightlacing to a 20% reduction, which is double where most regular waist-trainers go: 10-15% is suggested, depending on how much of that reduction is simply excess fat moving. He did say that some people may struggle with constipation if they tightlace to that extreme without a proper diet.

And when talking about organs, I feel the need to point out, that the intestinal effects shown are without the "half-hour drop" that occurs after half-an-hour to an hour, when you lace in stages as opposed to how Eden does it as a tightlacer, which brings the intestines closer to their normal resting position. And, through the magic of hands, even the most dedicated waist-trainers remove their corsets for at least an hour a day, allowing the body to rest in its normal position.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

Apparently a corset also makes your boobs more saggy?
  • Nectere
    Options

It's not a lie at all. My body does not have a full sensor, so technically, my body is constantly lying to me by saying it needs food. It'll say it needs food after I eat an entire pizza and three bowls of kale salad. Do you consider people with lap bands to be lying when they say they are full? I feel it when my stomach stretches to that point because of the corset, just like a person with a lap band feels full when their stomach can't expand any more. And as I have said repeatedly I do not wear a corset to feel full. It is a bonus I get. Corsets should not be used for weight loss alone. That is not the point of them.
    I lie to my husband and family all the time about my weight loss. They ask "Are you done losing weight" and I say yes! It makes them happy and keeps them off my back :smile:

That is so sad! :( How can you share your life with people and not trust them with the truth about your goals and desires? I couldn't live like that.
  • Nectere
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

Victorian doctors thought so, it was one of the symptoms they touted, claiming that it would impact breast tissue and milk production, making them to be "less fit wives" because they would be bad at nursing their babies.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

Victorian doctors thought so, it was one of the symptoms they touted, claiming that it would impact breast tissue and milk production, making them to be "less fit wives" because they would be bad at nursing their babies.

Seems like the more saggy the better when it comes to nursing. I mean best case scenario you can lay the baby the ground while nursing. But what do I know? I'm just a dumb dude.
  • Nectere
    Options
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

Seems like the more saggy the better when it comes to nursing. I mean best case scenario you can lay the baby the ground while nursing. But what do I know? I'm just a dumb dude.

I didn't say they were logical. :D
  • aryseespieces
    aryseespieces Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    valkoffe41 wrote: »
    Had anyone used any waist trainers and had success? I see a lot of social media about them, but wonder if they actually make your mid section tighter/smaller. Thanks!

Mine has worked! I go through Ann cherry brand and have lost 2 1/2 inches
  • aryseespieces
    aryseespieces Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

Your organs move more in pregnancy...