What is your opinion on chewing gum?

Options
So I'm a "pack a day" gum chewer, I've tried to quit multiple times but I always find myself going back to it. I find that it really helps with curbing my appetite (when I feel "bored hungry" and not "really hungry") and helping with anxiety but I'm worried that it's detrimental to my health. I just can't seem to stop, I chew it for hours a day and when I don't I end up snacking more. I was wondering what other people think of chewing gum- they say it causes GI issues and jaw disorders but has anyone actually experienced this? I know it makes me bloated and gives me a headache after a while but nothing worse than that.

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I avoid it. Most gums are full of weird chemicals. They always give me stomach ache. The sugar-free gums have about 5 calories a piece, so a pack a day can add cals quickly.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    The only times I had problems with chewing gum was when I tried chewing up 3 pieces of Hubba Bubba in one shot. Jaw hurt for a bit, but the bubble was worth it. :P I use it for similar reasons as OP (curbing boredom snacking). I do log the 3 pieces I have which adds up to 8 calories. If you're going through a whole pack in a day, I recommend logging it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    It's great when you have to work face to face with clients and breath in their face. Better to smell gum then the garlic I ate for lunch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with chewing gum.

Just don't swallow it! Stays in your gut for 7 years!!

....I'm kidding. Chewing gum can cause bloating due to the air ingested, but other than that, nothing really. Seems to have a lot more positives for you personally than negatives, based on your OP.

ETA: Plus side, fresh breath!
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like chewing gum but if I have gum I tend to chew the entire pack. As a result, both my jaw and my stomach hurts. So I rarely chew gum!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've heard* that when you chew gum, your stomach assumes food is coming and will start producing more digestive juices. When no food comes, you have extra digestive juice which can lead to heartburn and potential ulcer/gastric issues.

I used to chew a lot, until someone unkindly mentioned that I appeared like a cow chewing its cud. I've not had a piece since, except for on take off in a plane.

*meaning I have absolutely no evidence to back this up, and I'm not saying I actually believe it
  • Sassy_xo
    Sassy_xo Posts: 44
    Options
    I avoid gum like the plague. I used to like chewing it, but had weird side effects. It caused me major bloating (due to swallowing excess amounts of air while chewing) and it actually caused increased hunger because with all the fake sugars in it, your body expects calories, and when it doesn't get any it sends out hunger signals. Plus, like someone above mentioned, even sugar free gum has about 5 calories a piece, so a pack a day adds up quick.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Orbit gum - 5 calories x 14 sticks = 70 calories total.

Big Red - 10 calories x 15 sticks = 150 calories total.

Eclipse - 5 calories per 2 pieces x 12 pieces = 30 calories total.

These total caloric values for a pack aren't all that crazy.

If it helps curb her appetite, then all these claims of it potentially increasing hunger don't apply to her.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I buy Trident bubble gum by the case. Literally. I can go through a pack in a day. It keeps my sweet tooth satisfied. (I don't blow bubbles because it would probably annoy my co-workers.) :blush:
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I stopped chewing gum because it started to make me nauseous.

But I don't think there's an objective "this is always bad for everyone in all circumstances" ruling on gum. So I'd say if you like it, and you don't think it is affecting you, personally, in a big negative way, then it's probably fine for you.

Anxiety, for example, is bad for your health. So if gum helps you with that, then awesome.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't resemble a cow chewing it cud you're good :laugh:
    For me, chewing gum makes me hungry
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum can either hurt your jaw and cause problems, or it can alleviate pain if you already have a TMJ disorder. Most likely it will already have caused a problem by now since you seem to be a regular gum chewer. Ask your dentist the next time you go in for an exam. Also, if you chew gum, look for kinds that contain Xylitol since this is better for your teeth. The only brand I've found thus far is Trident. Otherwise, I would not say gum chewing is a major issue. Just don't use it as a meal supplement!
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I only use it to get strong flavors out of my mouth. It seems to make me REALLY thirsty
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like gum but I am trying to avoid it now and just have mints.. I find whenever I have it my stomach gets bloated and it makes me hungry if.
  • SerenityGrace
    Options
    Regarding the upset tummy, I noticed that aspartame caused me to have serious nausea. I switched to cinnamon trident or the gum sold at the health food store and it doesn't cause upset stomach now. Neither has aspartame in it. Just thought I would mention this.
  • MikeSanchez2323
    MikeSanchez2323 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A pack of gum...wow that seems like a lot. I am a big fan of the small altoids.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yuck. Tastes like chemicals and gives me a headache
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't know specifically what it is about gum that helps you to curb snacking, but I've found that using some mouthwash helps me avoid mindless snacking, because my mouth feels fresh and clean and I (somewhat subconsciously, I think) don't want to tarnish that! If your concerned about the less than ideal effects of gum, consider a swig of mouth wash!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm gum
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I chew a lot of gum during the day. Saves me from mindless snacking, one pack is pretty normal for me :D ... Although, it really did caused me jaw problems...