not eating enough

Hi I am new to this calorie counting business. I have decided to loose some weight and change my eating habits. However I seem to be struggling to eat more than 1000 calories a day I am eating fruit which seems to send my sugar intake through the roof but I have been good at watching added suagrs I dont know if I am doing this right and weather it is going to be effective b help pleaee

Replies

• sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Eat more: lean protein, healthy fats and nuts. An oz of nuts a day easily adds calories and is great for you. Drink a glass or 2 of milk instead of water...adds calories and calcium/vitamin/protein.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Struggling to eat over 1k why? Full? Poor? No appetite?

I find fruit to be high in calories.

Also what are your height weight gender etc

Are you meant to be eating 1200 where 1k is a little low or meant to be eating 1600 where 1k is very low.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Don't worry about going over sugar, excess sugar does not equal weight gain, excess calories do.
    If there is a sugar hell I have got a one way ticket because i go over mfp's sugar recommendations most every day, purely because of milk and fruit, not sugary cakes etc etc

Also if you are struggling to eat over 1000 calories, how did you become overweight in the first place? Obviously at some stage you were consuming a lot more than that....
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Same thing happened to me at the beginning. It will pass! Just make sure you are logging accurately and peanut butter will be your best friend in the meantime ;)
  • Merkavar
    I suggest sustagen in milk. Milk, chocolate, vitamins and minerals, how could you pass that up.

Or maybe some Greek yogurt with blue berries.

Maybe some cheese cubes.

This message was brought to you by the dairy farmers association of Australia :smiley:
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    First things first, are you tracking accurately? That means you use a food scale for most if not all solid foods and measuring cups for liquids, and that you get everything you eat into the log.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Calorie dense foods are your friend (nuts, nut butters, full-fat dairy, avocados, oils...)
  • Christine_72
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I suggest sustagen in milk. Milk, chocolate, vitamins and minerals, how could you pass that up.

Maybe some cheese cubes.

This message was brought to you by the dairy farmers association of Australia :smiley:

Sustagen gold is the bomb!! So yummy

• Merkavar
    Merkavar wrote: »

Maybe some cheese cubes.

Sustagen gold is the bomb!! So yummy

Not sure what gold is. I like Dutch chocolate.
  • tarnz157
    tarnz157 Posts: 3
    I get too full thats why I struggle to eat over 1000 some days I do. I had really bad eating habits before I wouldnt eat all day and then come dinner time I would be starving I also drank alot of sugary drinks like coke. So even eating 3 meals a day is alot for me. I have almonds and brazil nuts which I will use as snacks or ill have some fruit. I find the mfp's recommendations for fats a bit hard to stick to well not the total fat but the fats that r in the nuts there no allowance for them. Im always under that total fat allowance my the mono and poly and trans fats always over because I will have the nuts and avocado.

I dont have snacks every day especially on dayswhen I'm busy I end up forgetting because not hungry. Im starting to look at different dinner ideas. But r also cautious if dinner because apparently its only meamt to be a small meal.

I have never dieted before and at the moment what im eating I enjoy and find nice so it doesnt seem like dieting and I dont no how effective it will be.
  • I just posted that I'm having difficulty eating the 1200 calories, though am over weight. I was told I shut down my metabolism by not eating often enough and therefore my sugar isn't at a consistent level. My question is why does my project weight lose change day by day?
  • Merkavar
    lauradrach wrote: »
    My question is why does my project weight lose change day by day?

Projected weight is based on that one day. Are your days identical? Are your net calories at the end of the day the same or are you under and over by different amounts?
  • Different - thanks
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Just eat more of the stuff you used to eat and you'll have no trouble reaching your goal.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Do you use a food scale for anything not liquid?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,722 Member
    I can eat 1000 in a meal lol
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    You don't have to have 3 meals or snacks. If you'd rather eat lightly most of the day and then eat one large meal, then you can do that. If you want two large meals and no/1 snack, then do that. Whatever works with your hunger signals.
    I would recommend eating whole foods if possible for better nutrients, but you know what you can reasonably do with your lifestyle. I eat higher fat and sometimes still only get 1200. Some days you aren't that hungry. A day or two later I make it up because my activity has upped my appetite.

Maybe not concentrate on "dieting" or "diet food", but on eating a variety of yummy things - mostly good for you - ;) and staying within your calorie goal. Did you eat a bunch of fruit every day before? If not, why are you doing that now? Think variety and don't shy away from fat. Fat is necessary for metabolic processes, brain function, and vitamin absorption...to name a few.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member

That's hilarious.
  • Christine_72
    onyxgirl17 wrote: »
    I can eat 1000 in a meal lol

I ate a pack of snickers pods last night for 800ish calories. Shame, shame, shame :cry:
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member

That's hilarious.

Why?