Successful Keto diet anyone?

Options
Astharteea
Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I started this keto diet 2 weeks ago after a 13 days metabolic diet. I made some changes to it because I can't exercise as much as they recommend so... I'm keeping my calories at 1200 a day and not more than 1400 in my bad days. I sometimes eat cheese and plain whole milk yogurt. I rarely go over 40 grams of carbs a day. I didn't have refined carbs in a month and I'm okay with it. I use my treadmill a few days a week even tho they recommend strength training instead of cardio. I lost 14 lbs in the past 4 weeks and I'm okay with it. The thing is I want to beat the statistics and lose 50 lbs by July 20th by doing everything right. Soon I'm going to start lifting some weights also just to see the difference. Anyone else trying the ketogenic diet?

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If you're going to begin strength training, you may need to up your calorie intake a little, specifically protein. You have to make sure you give your body the nutrition it needs to repair and then build muscle.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    Well, that's what this keto diet is about. You need to eat more fat than protein and stay under 30 grams of carbs. The idea is that your brain and body feeds of the fats instead of the protein and carbs. My macros are 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat. I have a hard time lowering the protein though. But anyway, it is pretty Succesful either way. I mean, it works for me.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    Thanks JP!
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I lost 11 pounds on Atkins in just weeks and I never gained that weight back. Unfortunately, instead of going through the phases like I was supposed to, I fell off the bandwagon and stayed at 160lbs for over a year. Then I learned about Paleo about a year ago and did that and same thing. I lost 10 pounds overnight and never gained it back. However, holidays threw me off and I never got back on and I am super eager to. I downloaded this app yesterday and today was my first day low carbing again. I am doing a kind of low carb Paleo mix (aka I haven't given up cheese and bouillon yet) I set my macro nutrients to 10% carbs, 30% protein, 60% fat. This means I can't have more than 30 carbs a day and my limit is 1200 calories. Hopefully I will have more will power to follow this now that I have found a handy tool I never had before and a community with it.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    Well done Corinna! I've read about Paleo but I like a little bit of yogurt sometimes. Atkins is more restrictive sometimes and I have a hard time following. Low carb is not restrictive at all and that doesn't work for me either :smile: so Keto was the only one that looked alright but I still have cappuccinos and yogurt in the weekend no mater what the recommendations are. It's nice to hear from you saying how you didn't gain any of that back. That's very encouraging! Thank you!