I hate my body

Options
13»

Replies

• MsJennyffer
    MsJennyffer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've have hated myself, too, but it was only making me miserable. I decided I needed more. I needed to love myself. I needed to be happier and healthier. So I started to take steps toward a better attitude about my body and ways to improve it.

First, you must change your mindset. Negativity gets you nowhere. Use your frustration as fuel, as motivation to change. Get through one small workout and be proud of your accomplishment! Use that to continue on! Be more mindful of what you eat. Use the food diary on MFP. It really shows you what you're really putting in your body!

Each time you reach one small goal, you will feel better about yourself! You will feel a tiny sense of accomplishment and that keeps you going! Don't try to do too much at once, but be sure to push yourself. Remind yourself that you deserve to be happy and healthy!

Thanks for that, its exactly what I needed to hear struggling with lack of motivation right now. All my goals seem so far and unattainable.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I totally understand about hating your big arms. I have huge arms too from the elbow up. It's genetic because the rest of me is very small (when I am at my normal weight) but my arms are deformed big! I hate it but have learned to live with it. I am what God made me and I just don't wear anything sleeveless. It's pain in summer - but we do what we have to do.
    I love what Ninerbuff said, "Abstaining from what you like to eat isn't the answer. Restricting HOW MUCH you eat is!" That is brilliant and has been the only way I was ever able to lose weight and keep it off.
    Best of luck
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The reality is that if you really wanted to do it bad enough, you'd do what it takes. Abstaining from what you like to eat isn't the answer. Restricting HOW MUCH you eat is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

To me this is a little harsh... and yes although some of this or all of this is truth in this... a little personal touch and some tact in how you say things can go along ways...

Don't we really want to help someone or do we just want to speak out a lot of knowledge that may or may not make sense.... MFP members are guilty of that a lot (including me)...

We tend to jump in (as experienced weight losers, fitness gurus) and just say do it or just stop... I read a thread earlier and I am guilty of this too.. you may think people are looking for a reason to vent or wine (and maybe some are) but sometimes you can pick up that someone is trying or wanting to get started... the OP did setup a an account in MFP..

To the OP, if you have a question or need advice how to get started or where to find research on certain questions you may have... you will get some advice or kind words from most... Add me if you need a MFP friend..
    A little harsh......okay. But I'm betting the OP hasn't felt this way just this time. Chances are it's been an ongoing issue and many times being direct is what some need. Working in the industry, I've heard every story (or variations of it) from emotions, being unmotivated, having no support, etc.
    The one COMMON thing that people who successfully reach goal is they WANTED IT more than any obstacles and deterrences that got in their way, even if it was from people they loved.
    The OP has the option to take the advice or not. Being upfront isn't being mean. Perception is the difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

OP is an 18 year old girl. Let's take it down a notch and have some compassion, shall we? I'm not opposed to being direct, but assuming that this OP is full of excuses based on her very first post on the site is more than a little harsh.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    OP, you don't have to cut out the foods you enjoy to lose weight...plug your numbers into MFP (go with a 1-1 1/2 lb per week loss), eat back a portion (if not all) of your exercise calories, log your food consistently, exercise regularly (a mix of cardio and weights), and plan for treats from time to time. Most important of all though, learn to love your body NOW. Not the body you wish you had, the one that is serving you well each and every day already.
  • whattheJKD
    whattheJKD Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Your body is amazing and can do so many things. Please don't feel so bad about yourself. When you look at yourself, all the bad stuff is magnified. When your friends see you, all the good stuff is magnified. I totally understand how you feel and I am there some days too, and was a LOT at 18. But- having a bit of fat on your body doesn't mean the whole thing is worthless! When you catch yourself thinking something like this, tell yourself to stop being so mean to yourself. You'd never say things like that to your friends and hurt them so don't say things like that to yourself to hurt yourself. For what it's worth I was an ugly duckling until my mid/late twenties- chubby, awkward, and self-conscious. Around 26 my face hollowed out, I learned to dress stylishly, my butt got cute after I started running and now men look at me for a long time when I walk in a room. Please be nice to yourself! Be nice to your brain by reading books, nice to your body by walking or running and eating some veggies, nice to your lungs by not smoking,and be nice to your soul by not bashing yourself. And please friend me if you'd like to.
  • SamberryC
    SamberryC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've have hated myself, too, but it was only making me miserable. I decided I needed more. I needed to love myself. I needed to be happier and healthier. So I started to take steps toward a better attitude about my body and ways to improve it.

First, you must change your mindset. Negativity gets you nowhere. Use your frustration as fuel, as motivation to change. Get through one small workout and be proud of your accomplishment! Use that to continue on! Be more mindful of what you eat. Use the food diary on MFP. It really shows you what you're really putting in your body!

Each time you reach one small goal, you will feel better about yourself! You will feel a tiny sense of accomplishment and that keeps you going! Don't try to do too much at once, but be sure to push yourself. Remind yourself that you deserve to be happy and healthy!

Thanks for that, its exactly what I needed to hear struggling with lack of motivation right now. All my goals seem so far and unattainable.

Definitely! As I always tell my little girls. Set yourself small goals and work towards them. Each victory will build your confidence up and help you conquer the difficult challenges.

You're capable of so much more than you realise. The only obstacle to happiness is your own mind frame. And you have the power to overcome that!
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    This might make me sound like a really awful person and that's probably fair, but...

Honestly, watching shows like The Biggest Loser or My 600 Pound Life make me feel better. You think every woman you see is skinny - that's not true, that's just your perception. Watching shows like that might help give you more perspective. I know I was pretty disgusted by my body when I was 18. I think that's part of life - we don't appreciate what we have when we're young. Don't fret. You are 100 times more beautiful than you think you are. I promise you that.