What do you eat when you can't cook?

Options
What are some healthy go to foods for when you don't have time or energy to cook? I live on campus and the food at the cafeteria is terrible and unhealthy, so I'm trying to start cooking for myself.

However, there are some days when I either ran out of food, don't have time to cook, or some other reason. I want to stock the appt up on food that I can just throw in the oven for dinner on those days.

So far the only "healthy" ones I've tried have been disgusting (like lean cuisine). Any suggestions for brands or specific foods?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Most school cafeterias give you lots of options. Ask for calorie and nutritional information.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's in town, they've got some really tasty frozen meals - check them out.

Otherwise, find yourself a George Foreman Grill, I see them at yard sales and thrift stores all the time - popular wedding gift that people use once or twice, if at all, and then they donate it a few years down the road. You can cook up boneless chicken in those things pretty fast - a little seasoning, a few minutes on the Foreman, and it's done!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Fish, chicken, and turkey are simple to make. Slap them on a pan, put some spice on those puppies, and fling then in the oven. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    salads with chicken and tuna/fish etc.
    tuna you can keep on hand all the time
  • jackstraw67201
    jackstraw67201 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love those cafe steamers frozen dinners. Fairly low cal, but the sauces are tasty. Sodium ehh.. between 500 - 600 mg per serving
  • LazyCatNap
    LazyCatNap Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    If you have a Trader Joe's in town, they've got some really tasty frozen meals - check them out.

Otherwise, find yourself a George Foreman Grill, I see them at yard sales and thrift stores all the time - popular wedding gift that people use once or twice, if at all, and then they donate it a few years down the road. You can cook up boneless chicken in those things pretty fast - a little seasoning, a few minutes on the Foreman, and it's done!

Oh I'm pretty sure we do have a Trader Joe's nearby! Is just about everything they sell here more or less healthy? I can check the nutrition info myself of course, but just as a reference.
  • LazyCatNap
    LazyCatNap Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love those cafe steamers frozen dinners. Fairly low cal, but the sauces are tasty. Sodium ehh.. between 500 - 600 mg per serving

Sounds good, I'll get some next time I'm shopping. Thank you!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Hot Pockets.
  • try4better128
    try4better128 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Put a few frozen chicken breasts in a dish, throw a cup of salsa on top and bake. Serve with frozen green beans or other frozen veggie of your choice. Sprinkle cheese on it after if you want.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    My go to's when I am lazy about meal prep are the canned chili from Trader Joe's or the clam Chowder and lean pockets, add a salad and I'm good to go. I also like the chicken teriyaki, frozen, from Trader Joe's.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Chipotle burrito bowls!

Romain lettuce, black beans, chicken, fajita veggies, and green salsa for under 400 cals. :)
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Those already cooked rotisserie chickens that are always at grocery stores.
  • NEWMEKELLIB
    NEWMEKELLIB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    premake your food one day a week -beans / meats (if your into that) rice salads boil your self some eggs ...store them in your fridge so you have no ways to stray away from your diet- because of time or whatever... pinterest is really intresting for this- and slow cookers will be your bestfriend if you let it!
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Chipotle burrito bowls!

Romain lettuce, black beans, chicken, fajita veggies, and green salsa for under 400 cals. :)

Agreed. Love chipotle. Little high in sodium but I get that exact meal myself (usually double the fajitas :smile: )
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    when I don't feel like cooking or strapped for time or travelling , my go tos are usually nuts, bananas, greek yogurt, trail mix bars and protein bars, canned fish and chicken are other quick options.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    on nights i don't feel like cooking, breakfast for dinner is super fast (omelets for example)
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Sardines with sriracha sauce on the side.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    premake your food one day a week -beans / meats (if your into that) rice salads boil your self some eggs ...store them in your fridge so you have no ways to stray away from your diet- because of time or whatever... pinterest is really intresting for this- and slow cookers will be your bestfriend if you let it!

I do this generally, but my go to is scrambled eggs if I need something quick. Eggs is one thing I rarely run out of. Greek Yogurt, oatmeal, protein shakes are others that are easy.

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think the more you can cook, the worse you can eat. I agree with the lady a few posts down, keep things really simple, once you start eating food in combination that is where the calories add up quick...sauces..casseroles...etc..no no
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I lived, LIVED, off of apples and bananas with peanut butter. Back then I couldn't afford the fancy organic stuff PB, but Jif worked just fine on my budget. If you have a meal plan, pocket an apple or a banana when you leave the cafeteria and you won't have to buy fruit.