Calorie intake question for those who have 20 or less pounds to lose ...

Options
Sophiasmomma
Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have about 20 lbs to lose. I am curious to see what your daily calorie intake is.? Also are you eating your calories you have burned? Also on average are you losing each week ?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Daily calories would depend on height, age, weight, gender, activity level etc.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have about 20 lbs to lose. I am curious to see what your daily calorie intake is.? Also are you eating your calories you have burned? Also on average are you losing each week ?

Calorie intake depends on your profile. You eat fewer calories than you burn to lose weight. How much you lose depends on the deficit and varies from person to person depending on preference.
  • qwikstreet
    qwikstreet Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My goal is set pretty low. I'm set at just 5lbs for 5 weeks. My daily allotment is 2150 calories. If I exercise, I figure I'm doing it for strength training and just being fit. So, in hindsight, those calories I burn I use as a buffer zone to allow me to feast within reason. However, there are a lot of days where I burn a lot of calories but my food intake is still well below 2150.

It all depends on what I want to eat and where I am eating.
  • Sophiasmomma
    Options

Sorry I must have hit the enter button before I added what's your age height and weight.?
    I am almost gulp 40 weigh 150 and I'm 5'3.5
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry I must have hit the enter button before I added what's your age height and weight.?
    I am almost gulp 40 weigh 150 and I'm 5'3.5

Have you entered that into MFP along with activity level? That will set your calorie intake.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've got 7lbs left to lose. I'm currently eating at my goal weight maintenance calories which is 1650. I'm 5"8, 140lbs, sedentary, age 43
  • Sophiasmomma
    Options
    I've got 7lbs left to lose. I'm currently eating at my goal weight maintenance calories which is 1650. I'm 5"8, 140lbs, sedentary, age 43

Thanks. I have put my numbers into MfP and it gives me 1200c alories im not sure if im doing something wrong?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet 5 inches, 28 years old. Been eating 1550 average the past 3 months (working at a -0.5 lb per week deficit). I would like to lose 5 more pounds and then reassess.

TDEE during school year: 1800
    TDEE during summer: 1600
    (I'm a teacher ;) )

I cut from those amounts when trying to lose weight. I figured if I tried to lose weight now instead of in the summer it will be much easier since I am naturally more active right now.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Thanks. I have put my numbers into MfP and it gives me 1200c alories im not sure if im doing something wrong?

Did you enter 2lbs a week loss?

• JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Its probably right. I only get 1,250 set to ONLY one pound a week. I weight 72.5kg, 167cm tall. I have a desk job so I sit on my bum ALL day

I sometimes eat back my exercise calories (30 day shred, the odd walk) but even if I don't weight lose is quite slow. I am trying to lose another 4 to 6kg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I maintain on roughly 2900-3000 calories with my stats and activity level...so I cut well on about 2300 but I can eat more and still cut. 2300ish calories keeps me at less than 1% of my body weight per week rate of loss..
  • Christine_72
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I maintain on roughly 2900-3000 calories with my stats and activity level...so I cut well on about 2300 but I can eat more and still cut. 2300ish calories keeps me at less than 1% of my body weight per week rate of loss..

Oh shut up you! :p You're living my dream B)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'm 5'3, 45, 125, and would like to lose about 5 more pounds.

I've been doing kind of a maintenance break, but am starting again with 1450 calories on non workout days, 1950 on heavy workout days, and maybe a sliding scale in-between. If I stay at maintenance with this I'll cut back the calories on workout days some.

I was losing about .75/week on 1750 (TDEE method, so no eating calories back) before I just decided I needed a break.

I do a good bit of exercise.
  • ReignOerMe
    ReignOerMe Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I'm 5'5" 20 y/o and 135 pounds. I net 1480 for 1/2 pound per week loss. If I set it to 1 pound per week, I would have a calorie goal of 1230. So 1200 sounds about right for you if you're losing 1 pound per week. If that's not enough food for you, you could try 1/2 pound per week or exercising and eating back some of those calories.
  • LanaBerk
    LanaBerk Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I guess as we are older (68), this 1200 cal a day doesn't work. I gain on that! I'm 5'3 132. I've been eating that this week and have gained 2+ lbs. grrr.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 133 lbs. I'm looking to lose another 3-8 lbs. I eat 1500 on weekdays, without eating exercise calories back. I burn about 600 calories during the week. I usually eat about 2,500 calories on Saturday which uses up my exercise calories and then some. I end up with an average of 1600 calories daily...and I lose .5 a week, approximately.
  • PStem
    PStem Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm eating about 1200 calories per day (age 57 and 5'4") and am slightly active during the day. I entered wanting to lose 2 lbs per week, but that's not happening. I'm doing exercise a couple of times per week, but based on the calorie intake, would think that I would lose a bit faster (only .50 lb per week). Is my body holding onto the food because I'm not eating enough?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    PStem wrote: »
    I'm eating about 1200 calories per day (age 57 and 5'4") and am slightly active during the day. I entered wanting to lose 2 lbs per week, but that's not happening. I'm doing exercise a couple of times per week, but based on the calorie intake, would think that I would lose a bit faster (only .50 lb per week). Is my body holding onto the food because I'm not eating enough?

No, you're eating more than 1200 calories
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    5'7", 137-138lbs, 23

I've been eating around 1791 a day but I took a good look at my body today and decided to try out maintenance. I'm increasing my daily goal by 50 on Monday.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Christine, I was wondering how this new method was working for you? I have about 7 pounds left to lose too, and this seems like a good way to start transitioning into maintenance, but I haven't really heard any stories good or bad on how it's been working for those doing it.