Hashimotos and gluten-free diet

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    tiger2411 wrote: »
    Hello All! I've been struggling with my weight since the tubal ligation after my daughters birth in 2011. I have been using MFP since that time and I have moments when I actually lose weight but then I regain in a big hurry. I've had hypothyroidism for the past maybe 10 years or so. I was just diagnosed with Hashimotos disease and my doctor hasn't talked to me about it other than to just say continue taking my levothyroxin daily and to only take half a dose on Sundays. I've been doing research and the only "treatment" I find is to go 100% gluten-free. Has anyone else been through this and if so anything you can share with me? Advice/support would be greatly appreciated! Also, is there a way to set my MFP to a gluten-free mode?

Thanks in advance!

Exactly what I have done and yes it works listen to what other hypo people are saying here and not the ones that don't have it but like to tell everyone they are wrong anyway. The biggest things I can tell you are to drink healthy water lots of it. Chemicals found in city water have a negative effect on your thyroid mainly fluoride. Stay away from overly processed foods and inflammatory food (those are foods your body gives you clear signs its not happy with) and go for lots of walks. Feel free to add me as a friend.

What? No. Too much Psuedoscience.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    @aggelikik. I said I was waiting for the rest of my autoimmune panels from my endocrinologist. And based on your link the conclusion itself would make me want to start a gluten-free diet asafp! I already know I have several autoimmune disorders, why would I wait to see if I have celiacs too? You said to just take my meds and forget about it!? Umm, no! That would be a death sentence and I have far too much to live for to do that. Besides, what would be the harm in a person who isn't positive for celiacs to be on a GF diet? Our ancestors did it why can't we? Wouldn't it make sense to not eat out of a box and to not eat glue? This is not the negatively I was looking for and I don't need it in my life right now.

You said your only confirmed illness is Hashimoto. Which is really as simple as "take a pill check your levels every X months, adjust pill if needed, live your life as usual". It is a vey very common illness, and it is not a death sentence unless you happen to live in an area where there are no drs and no meds.
    Yes, there are tons of magic cures, diets, tricks etc. Same as there are a ton of magic cleanses for fat loss, magic cures for stretchmarks and so on.
    It is not some exotic illness that really affects your life if treated properly. How do I know? Because I was first diagnosed 23 years ago and so do many women you meet every day and you could have never guessed they suffer from it. It is nto a death sentence!
    As for celiacs, the link I sent you shows you have a 2-5% risk of having this too. Your chances of having diabetes with Hashimoto's is higher. Also your risk of elevated cholesterol and triglycerides. You cannot panic for every single thing that could happen, and follow an appropriate diet, because you might end up with very few things left to eat. Which might be still ok, but it is going to overcomplicate your life over nothing.
    If you have celiac you are going to manage it with the appropriate diet. This will not fix your hypothyroidism though.
  • sarahbicknell2013
    sarahbicknell2013 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am celiac and dieting is so much harder... As most foods that are gluten free are higher in sugar etc. Can anyone help suggest how to make it easier... I've lost 5lbs in nearly 80 days but got loads More I want to lose but need help and advice.... :smile:
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I am celiac and dieting is so much harder... As most foods that are gluten free are higher in sugar etc. Can anyone help suggest how to make it easier... I've lost 5lbs in nearly 80 days but got loads More I want to lose but need help and advice.... :smile:

I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 18 years ago. This was long before it was easy to find gluten free products on supermarket shelves. I had to order sub-par products online for years!

Over the years, I learned a lot. Some things are worth eating the gluten free substitutions for. Some things aren't.

There's a whole wide world of cuisine out there that never revolved around gluten-based ingredients. Find it. Naturally gluten-free foods like lean protein, dairy, beans, potatoes, rice, fruits, vegetables, nuts, gluten free oats... you can build a diet around those.
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hello All! I've been struggling with my weight since the tubal ligation after my daughters birth in 2011. I have been using MFP since that time and I have moments when I actually lose weight but then I regain in a big hurry. I've had hypothyroidism for the past maybe 10 years or so. I was just diagnosed with Hashimotos disease and my doctor hasn't talked to me about it other than to just say continue taking my levothyroxin daily and to only take half a dose on Sundays. I've been doing research and the only "treatment" I find is to go 100% gluten-free. Has anyone else been through this and if so anything you can share with me? Advice/support would be greatly appreciated! Also, is there a way to set my MFP to a gluten-free mode?

Thanks in advance!

Exactly what I have done and yes it works listen to what other hypo people are saying here and not the ones that don't have it but like to tell everyone they are wrong anyway. The biggest things I can tell you are to drink healthy water lots of it. Chemicals found in city water have a negative effect on your thyroid mainly fluoride. Stay away from overly processed foods and inflammatory food (those are foods your body gives you clear signs its not happy with) and go for lots of walks. Feel free to add me as a friend.

Sorry no not everyone fits in the same box. A lot of people that have thyroid issues and they are not all the same but damn me If i feel better eating paleo or any other low grain diet. Damn me for doing me and sharing my experience and trying to make a helpful suggestion based on my experience with it and damn it if a lot of people here had a similar experiences. Were all wrong ya know...so you win.
  • sarahbicknell2013
    Options

I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 18 years ago. This was long before it was easy to find gluten free products on supermarket shelves. I had to order sub-par products online for years!

Over the years, I learned a lot. Some things are worth eating the gluten free substitutions for. Some things aren't.

There's a whole wide world of cuisine out there that never revolved around gluten-based ingredients. Find it. Naturally gluten-free foods like lean protein, dairy, beans, potatoes, rice, fruits, vegetables, nuts, gluten free oats... you can build a diet around those.

How do you find dieting then with being gluten free? I eat a lot of things like rice and going down to basic ingredients but just find it so hard at times to manage when u do have to use the substitutes. Just wanna shed the wait I put on after I quit smoking but having celiac & lupus food & exercise is tricky.
  • smildej
    smildej Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If I may share my own personal experience with Hashimoto's...I was diagnosed several years ago now, after my oldest was born. I've always had a pretty stable go with it once my meds were optimal for me. I was then diagnosed 2 years ago with another autoimmune condition called CREST syndrome (a form of scleroderma). I was going to do everything that the nutrition world says to do and went on a strict Paleo diet. I was seeing a chiropractor for my nutrition and supplements. My grocery bill was through the roof and I was completely stressed with this way of life, that was going to save me. I was already following a healthy diet, maintaining my weight with having Hashi's, but yet because I was told the gluten would keep driving my thyroid to a bad place , I went into fear mode. Well what good was fear and panic going to do for me? Nothing. So from a more spiritual perspective, I decided that I had enough of the Paleo thing, went back to my regular ways of eating, stopped seeing the chiro and stopped the supplements, but I started to work on the mind/body/spirit connection. I took care of my soul, began loving myself and stopped fearing the outcomes. The Gluten free diet and Paleo thing only lasted a few months for me before I decided to go back to my normal, healthy ways of living. So in these 2 years since my second diagnosis, I have dropped 3 doses with my levothyroxin, my thyroid is a normal size and I feel great! Diet and nutrition are always important and we need to be loving and caring for these bodies, but taking care of your soul is so important too.
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have had hashimoto's for a decade, but no other autoimmune diseases that i am aware of.

It's not a death sentence by any means, just take the pill, keep your tsh, free t3 and free t4 at the right levels, and work harder than normal to lose weight. Some people have no thyroid at all due to cancer and they just take the medicine too. You don't need a thyroid to live.

I will say though, that some dr's think as soon as your TSH level is below 4 or 5, or whatever the highest range they use is, that you are fine and healed. I still had hypo symptoms until i got it below 1. That's just me, everyone is different. Most Dr's will also only prescribe synthroid/levothyroxine, but I never felt good on those. I take armour thyroid and feel so much better.

As far as gluten free, if you try it and it makes you feel better and you lose weight and can stick to it, go for it. It's not necessary to treat hashimoto's, but obviously if you find out you have celiac's then there is your answer.

• PeachyCarol
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks in advance!

Sorry no not everyone fits in the same box. A lot of people that have thyroid issues and they are not all the same but damn me If i feel better eating paleo or any other low grain diet. Damn me for doing me and sharing my experience and trying to make a helpful suggestion based on my experience with it and damn it if a lot of people here had a similar experiences. Were all wrong ya know...so you win.

Chill. I'm glad you found a way of eating that you like. But the water thing, bro? Really? Step away from Mercola.

Taking all sarcasm away from my voice, I have three autoimmune conditions and played for years with eating various ways, including paleo BEFORE Cordain even wrote his first book (Neanderthin came out in the 90's) trying to feel better.

I've learned a few things on the way.

One of the hard truths is this: the only concrete thing you can do to make yourself feel better is exercise and not carry extra weight to tax your body.

That's about it. Oh, and develop good sleep habits. Everything else is just placebo effects.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

How do you find dieting then with being gluten free? I eat a lot of things like rice and going down to basic ingredients but just find it so hard at times to manage when u do have to use the substitutes. Just wanna shed the wait I put on after I quit smoking but having celiac & lupus food & exercise is tricky.

Congratulations on quitting smoking!

Exercise can be tricky for me too. I have my share of medical conditions too: chronic migraines, psoriatic arthritis, and fibromyalgia. So my exercise schedule is hit and miss. When I can manage to do it, it helps a lot.

I do find that cutting carbs to a moderate level helps with fatigue levels, so I keep them to 40% of my diet. That eliminates some of the decision making I have to make with celiac disease, because I only keep my favorite things on the menu.

Let me start by asking you where you find yourself using the substitutes most. That might be the best place to find the answer to your question.

• sarahbicknell2013
    Options

Exercise can be tricky for me too. I have my share of medical conditions too: chronic migraines, psoriatic arthritis, and fibromyalgia. So my exercise schedule is hit and miss. When I can manage to do it, it helps a lot.

I do find that cutting carbs to a moderate level helps with fatigue levels, so I keep them to 40% of my diet. That eliminates some of the decision making I have to make with celiac disease, because I only keep my favorite things on the menu.

Let me start by asking you where you find yourself using the substitutes most. That might be the best place to find the answer to your question.

Aww thanks coming up to a year and a half smoke free,

I mainly use pasta as substitute cause it's easy other than that I don't eat bread as I don't like the gluten free ones available, I do use the gluten flour to make pizza bases on the odd occasions, but my main diet for dinner consists of pasta or rice dishes as I can eat them and my other half who's not celiac likes those means. I eat veg and fruit a lot but I'm not a massive potato lover. I eats salads a lot too. I do use rice flour and other types of flours too but don't know if it helps much. I've only been diagnosed for last three years as I was very poorly in hospital, I've had to reteach myself about food and with quiting smoking trying to lose the weight I added. Just don't know what I can do as I love my rice dishes and spicy pasta bakes, I heed using coconut oil in rice can help get rice of calories. Any suggestions on other substitutes out there I could use and try? Thanks for your help so far. :smiley:
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    or that guy ^ cause he's on the internet.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I mainly use pasta as substitute cause it's easy other than that I don't eat bread as I don't like the gluten free ones available, I do use the gluten flour to make pizza bases on the odd occasions, but my main diet for dinner consists of pasta or rice dishes as I can eat them and my other half who's not celiac likes those means. I eat veg and fruit a lot but I'm not a massive potato lover. I eats salads a lot too. I do use rice flour and other types of flours too but don't know if it helps much. I've only been diagnosed for last three years as I was very poorly in hospital, I've had to reteach myself about food and with quiting smoking trying to lose the weight I added. Just don't know what I can do as I love my rice dishes and spicy pasta bakes, I heed using coconut oil in rice can help get rice of calories. Any suggestions on other substitutes out there I could use and try? Thanks for your help so far. :smiley:

Those things are fine, the key with weight loss is portion size. Sadly, portion sizes with pasta are small. So are portion sizes with rice. The key is to bulk up your meals with vegetables.

I still eat pasta (though I switched from a rice pasta to a bean pasta because it's packed with protein and I'm a vegetarian), but I toss mine with veggies. I eat 1/2 pasta and 1/2 veggies.

The thing about the rice calories is still new a dubious and a negligible difference at best, so don't get your hopes up just yet!

It's probably best to start building your menus less around the starch and more around the veg and protein sources, using the starchy things as a side dish. This will help you cut the calories. The veggies will provide fiber to help you feel full.
  • sarahbicknell2013
    Options

Those things are fine, the key with weight loss is portion size. Sadly, portion sizes with pasta are small. So are portion sizes with rice. The key is to bulk up your meals with vegetables.

I still eat pasta (though I switched from a rice pasta to a bean pasta because it's packed with protein and I'm a vegetarian), but I toss mine with veggies. I eat 1/2 pasta and 1/2 veggies.

The thing about the rice calories is still new a dubious and a negligible difference at best, so don't get your hopes up just yet!

It's probably best to start building your menus less around the starch and more around the veg and protein sources, using the starchy things as a side dish. This will help you cut the calories. The veggies will provide fiber to help you feel full.
    Great stuff will deffo work on that, thanks for you help again. Hopefully I can get back into my size tens before I don't it. Had never herd of bean pasta, where can you get that from? Been great to get some more info from a fellow Coeliac :smiley:
  • sarahbicknell2013
    Options

Great stuff will deffo work on that, thanks for you help again. Hopefully I can get back into my size tens before I don't it. Had never herd of bean pasta, where can you get that from? Been great to get some more info from a fellow Coeliac :smiley:

*before I know it not before I dont it.... Blooming typo
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

We have a brand here in the States called Explore Asian that makes a line of bean pastas. I can just get them at the supermarket. They have mung bean and edamame fettuccine and black bean or soybean spaghettis. I'm sure they have some sort of pasta over there you could look for. The texture is different, but they are a great source of protein.
  • sarahbicknell2013
    Options
    I will d

We have a brand here in the States called Explore Asian that makes a line of bean pastas. I can just get them at the supermarket. They have mung bean and edamame fettuccine and black bean or soybean spaghettis. I'm sure they have some sort of pasta over there you could look for. The texture is different, but they are a great source of protein.

I will deffo look into this. Didn't even know bean pasta exsisted. Thanks :smile:
  • tiger2411
    Options
    @aggelikik if you would have read a follow up comment I made you would have seen were I said that I was waiting on my autoimmune panel results. I was wrong in one thing though. My endocrinologist diagnosed my hashimotos and my rhumatologist is taking care of my autoimmune diseases. So, my bad, I can't even think straight these days.

ANYWAYS...

To everyone else, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your testimonials and words of wisdom and support! I am NOT happy we are going through this but I am SO glad we have a way of knowing we aren't alone in it! Y'all have given me so much to think about and some really great menu ideas! Please feel free to add me as a friend on here!

PS. I have been gluten-free for the past 3 days and I have far less tummy bloating and I don't even miss gluten so far!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

@sarahbicknell2013‌ I too am Celiac and hypothyroid (plus arthritis) and if you make the right food choices, losing weight is entirely possible, if your thyroid levels are well controlled. I averaged 1 pound every 5 days for the first 5 months before starting to move to maintenance.

I limited the GF replacement products, they don't taste that good anyway, and limit the portion size of my starches such as rice, pasta and potato to 1/3 to 1/2 of a serving, weighed on my food scale of course!

I focus on veggies, fruits, lean meats, dairy such as cottage cheese and greek yogurt, and everything else in moderation (including a square of dark chocolate each day to keep me going :) )

In the end, it's all about calories, and choosing foods that will fill you without putting you over your calorie limit.