I even hate asking this question

Options
So my wonderful dude just surprised me with a cruise for our anniversary and its 39 days away. Im not looking for a quick fix and eating right and fitness is a life style change for me, BUT how much can the body change in under 2 months. realistically? I am dedicated to a deficit, lifting, and some cardio in there. Would just be nice to know if I can change my body at least a least a little bit by then.
H: 5'3
CW: 133
GW:115
really want to gain muscle/get rid of the fat on my muscle.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Well you're not going to gain noticeable muscle in 39 days, that much is for certain. Getting down to 128 is probably a reasonable goal.
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've found that, for ppl I've worked out with atleast, fasted cardio seems to work great for shedding fat. Couple guys I know would do about an hour of incline walking first thing in the morning before they ate or drank anything and they lost weight quick! Along with a good diet and working out in the afternoons of course... But yea. Fasted cardio is worth a try. Although a lot of ppl say it's no different from regular cardio. I'm a believer!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    So my wonderful dude just surprised me with a cruise for our anniversary and its 39 days away. Im not looking for a quick fix and eating right and fitness is a life style change for me, BUT how much can the body change in under 2 months. realistically? I am dedicated to a deficit, lifting, and some cardio in there. Would just be nice to know if I can change my body at least a least a little bit by then.
    8 weeks at about a pound a week, 8lbs lost. Gaining muscle won't happen in 8 weeks on a calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    8 weeks at about a pound a week, 8lbs lost. Gaining muscle won't happen in 8 weeks on a calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

39 days - it's less than six weeks.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This.

Use a food scale, weigh and log everything, and work out to burn extra calories if possible. Maybe throw in some bodyweight exercises and meet your protein goals to help maintain muscle mass while you lose.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time.. I am def not one of those "i am only getting in shape for a vaca" but now that I have a vaca I am like damn can I actually change my body even the slightest in this short period of time? I think protein is where I am lacking a bit and i know you can't really shed fat and gain muscle you have to choose one or the other so I guess shedding the extra fat is top priority.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    8 lbs of fat lost while retaining muscle and strength underneath from lifting, which could show up more in some spots, will look better than you might think. That's a lot of volume.
    Certainly better than the scale would have you believe.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You could aim for 8lb, but expect about four - if you try to speed up weight loss when you only have about 15lb to lose is a trigger for yo yo-ing.
  • fishshark
    Options
    yea I def dont want to yo-yo and if nothing changes aesthetically il be ok. It was just nice to know IF it was possible to slightly change body composition in such a short time.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I see the most changes from weights, and I only do body weight stuff (push-ups, squats, etc.) so you might even see more with actual heavy weights. I was actually really disappointed with changes in my body when I started doing a lot of running, it was less than the at-home circuit type stuff. But we're all different, so what works for me may not work for you. I'd go out and buy a new bathing suit or dress that makes me feel amazing, that you can definitely accomplish in 39 days!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You are already close to your healthy weight range. Therefore you are most likely, realistically, looking at -.5 pounds per week. However I think if you hit the gym good (mix of cardio and weights) and eat right you could notice a bit of a difference in 5 weeks. You will at least *feel* better about yourself, especially if you aren't diligent in all this already.

I have a pretty good B&A pic on my profile for 63 days difference. I was super strict with my food and workouts. I was much further from my healthy weight range/GW than you are though.

Best of luck and enjoy the vacation no matter what happens :)
  • fishshark
    Options
    yea im close to my healthy weight but my BF % is to high :( and thanks for the positivity guys! seeing changes is the best motivation so if anything im hoping at 39 days im like hell yea i can keep going!
  • fishshark
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    You are already close to your healthy weight range. Therefore you are most likely, realistically, looking at -.5 pounds per week. However I think if you hit the gym good (mix of cardio and weights) and eat right you could notice a bit of a difference in 5 weeks. You will at least *feel* better about yourself, especially if you aren't diligent in all this already.

I have a pretty good B&A pic on my profile for 63 days difference. I was super strict with my food and workouts. I was much further from my healthy weight range/GW than you are though.

Best of luck and enjoy the vacation no matter what happens :)

you look great in the b/a congrats!
  • fishshark
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    I see the most changes from weights, and I only do body weight stuff (push-ups, squats, etc.) so you might even see more with actual heavy weights. I was actually really disappointed with changes in my body when I started doing a lot of running, it was less than the at-home circuit type stuff. But we're all different, so what works for me may not work for you. I'd go out and buy a new bathing suit or dress that makes me feel amazing, that you can definitely accomplish in 39 days!

im the same way i kinda hate the way my body responds to cardio but they always say "cardio for losing fat blah blah"
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Just a quick visual these pics are 7 weeks apart and only a 6.2 lb change.k5qhwdsfsplg.jpg
    6czq7rv720aw.jpg
  • fishshark
    Options
    @never2bstopped‌ wow that is actually a crazy big difference... isn't it weird how the pounds lost can be small but the visual change is so significant.. wow!! great job that just gave me so much hope!! I assume you were very diligent on the diet and fitness?
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    You look amazing for such a small amount of weight lost. I would just keep on doing what you're doing and you'll get there. I hope you have a great time on your trip!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As the pictures above show, wearing clothes that fit properly can have a significant impact on appearance.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and see where you get :smiley:
  • mrsmiley32
    mrsmiley32 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You won't gain on a deficit it's pretty rare and my guess at that height/weight losing that quick would be close to dangerous. However if you want to retain muscle the rule of thumb (unless it's changed) is figure out your LBM. Then convert that into grams, that's how much protein you need to retain muscles while on a deficit. My suggestion is calisthenics to get a toned look, look up "start bodyweight" if you want a good starting guide. My friend who is 5'9 and 120lbs introduced that to me. For him he saw noticeable difference in his physique in 2 weeks, I (at 250lbs and 29% bf) saw differences in about 4 weeks.

I hope none of this is bad advice, this is mostly from what I read and personal experience.