Why do so many people ignore calories burned with exercise in CICO?

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    [quote="ILiftHeavyAcrylics;31864727
    That's because most people couldn't figure out what it was you were trying to say. I didn't even get the sense that you had a question, more of a rant.

I do believe the question was asked in the title of this thread. Did you miss the question mark?
    [/quote]
    The thread title is such a flawed premise that it is impossible to answer.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    I get the feeling you are proud of your own effort and can't understand that people aren't engaged in the same way. Don't assume everyone is capable of starting at the same point as you or that they share the same goal.

Skim, you are only partially right. I am proud that I've lost 20 pounds (ten of them before joining MFP), that's a fact. Everyone misinterpreted and took the original question completely out of context, saying they didn't understand what I was asking. If I didn't make sense, why bother responding? I don't get it.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who is not even sure what the OP is trying to say?

I just don't get where people who say it doesn't matter if you exercise and those calories don't really count.

Exercise is for health, a deficit is for weight loss!! ;)

I think this is what the OP is asking about. Statements similar to this are repeated frequently on mfp. They do give the appearance of ignoring or at least downplaying the CO side of the CICO equation. While you can generally maximize your deficit by decreasing CI, CO matters too. I exercise more because I like to eat more. I'm not willing to cut calories low as some people so I'm willing to exercise more so I can eat more.

Here is the answer to my original question. Thank you, Jemhh!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It is early morning my time... I ran across this thread as it is still showing up in my feed.. I don't think the OP sleeps or she is in another country.. LOL

My question is, hasn't this been hashed to death yet?

6 Pages and there is no real argument or facts to be debated any more as the question is not answerable... but it really was not a question even though it had ????

It was stated that she was in a RANT but continues to argue with herself I think...
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I like how the OP 8th posting in the forum but she won't post in her own thread here.

In this whole thread, there was only one person who actually answered my question, and I can't find it to quote it. It's the premise that people should eat back their exercise calories, which makes perfect sense. In this context, exercise calories would not contribute to CO.

And yes, the 4,000 and 2,000 numbers were wildly exaggerated, although, as another poster said, some people do wildly exaggerate their calories (his example was someone walking up three flights of stairs and deciding that 1,000 calories were burned).

Thanks to the poster who answered my question! Tomorrow I'll try to find it so I can quote it to give you credit.

Ah so the exercise calories DON'T matter because you eat them back therefore cancelling them out.
    But exercise calories could mean you can have that pizza instead of that salad. They either allow you to eat more or give you a bigger deficit therefore they DO matter.
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am a zombie, and the anti-zombie bias of this thread is killing me. I was using the Zombies Run app, and, well, I just wasn't fast enough.So some of us don't burn any calories at rest, and our top speed is a shamble. Give us a break. I know it different for you, but I only burn calories when exercising. I feel like if I didn't exercise, I would just fall apart.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    It is early morning my time... I ran across this thread as it is still showing up in my feed.. I don't think the OP sleeps or she is in another country.. LOL

6 Pages and there is no real argument or facts to be debated any more as the question is not answerable... but it really was not a question even though it had ????

It was stated that she was in a RANT but continues to argue with herself I think...

Okay, which is it? Several people complained that I didn't return to the thread on page five. You're complaining that I don't every sleep because I return to the thread. Nobody except a couple of people understood what I considered a valid question, yet there are hundreds of non-responses. Why don't you just stop posting??? My question (which most people didn't understand) was answered!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Okay, which is it? Several people complained that I didn't return to the thread on page five. You're complaining that I don't every sleep because I return to the thread. Nobody except a couple of people understood what I considered a valid question, yet there are hundreds of non-responses. Why don't you just stop posting??? My question (which most people didn't understand) was answered!

OOPS OP... I do not complain...Got this one wrong..

Edited to add, you actually keep "bumping" this thread by keeping on posting your self.. you could stop posting as well.. Just a thought..
  • Keishajay
    Options
    I've never seen anyone claim that exercise doesn't count toward calories out. I have heard people say that exercise calories are often overestimated and that intake is often underestimated.

This.
    I have literally never seen anyone say that exercise isn't part of CICO.

But what is the answer then?
    If someone is burning 4000 calories in exercise and eating only 2000 and not losing weight, where is the problem?

I'd like to see that actually be the case! I just found this:

If you weigh 185 pounds you'll burn about 622 calories per hour rowing at a moderate pace, and about 754 calories in one hour rowing at a strenuous intensity, according to Harvard Medical School.
    Calories Burned From Rowing | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
    healthyeating.sfgate.com/calories-burned-rowing-5813.html

And the thing is, if you were burning 4,000 and only eating 2,000 you'd be STARVING and how would you even have the energy to work that hard if you weren't consuming enough calories? LOL. But like some others have said, I think that some people don't record properly. I've done it myself where I've had dessert and then remembered the next morning LOL. :-)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    This thead is hopelss. I think it's time for...

tumblr_n8y3alcNec1tgx1goo2_400.gif
  • Keishajay
    Options

No you are not the only one but you and I may be the only two. I am paying close attention to what everyone's reply is and I understand their replies, but OP's question is just a little above my head

NOPE. I also read through this whole thread and wondered how some other people understood what the OP meant, thinking that I was somehow dim and need to get back into reading Shakespeare to encourage better brain activity LOL. Glad it's not just me!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    That's because most people couldn't figure out what it was you were trying to say. I didn't even get the sense that you had a question, more of a rant.

I do believe the question was asked in the title of this thread. Did you miss the question mark?

Well if that's the question, then the answer is: We don't.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

I just don't get where people who say it doesn't matter if you exercise and those calories don't really count.

The calories burned through exercise do count towards your CICO. But, you don not need to exercise to loose weight. If you consume less cals under your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) you will loose (without moving). Your BMR is what your body burns just functioning to stay alive. My BMR is about 1900 cals. If I eat below this I will loose weight. TDEE includes activity, if you eat below this you will loose weight. My TDEE is about 3000 cals.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

OOPS OP... I do not complain...Got this one wrong..

Edited to add, you actually keep "bumping" this thread by keeping on posting your self.. you could stop posting as well.. Just a thought..

I only posted on Page 1 and Page 6 of this thread. Pages 2, 3, 4, and 5 were by others, some of whom were razing me for not returning to the thread. Keep bumping, Gia.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »

Exercise is for health, a deficit is for weight loss!! ;)

I think this is what the OP is asking about. Statements similar to this are repeated frequently on mfp. They do give the appearance of ignoring or at least downplaying the CO side of the CICO equation. While you can generally maximize your deficit by decreasing CI, CO matters too. I exercise more because I like to eat more. I'm not willing to cut calories low as some people so I'm willing to exercise more so I can eat more.

Here is the answer to my original question. Thank you, Jemhh!

Oh I see! That is not even close to how I interpreted the OP. Well done, Jemhh, you get a sticker. :laugh:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    OP belongs in the "that's not how this works, that's not how any of this works" group. ;):D

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

OP you had the problem, that your post was so poorly written that people did not know what you were talking about and you failed to have the good manners to come back and explain whilst people were guessing at what you were trying to say. Apparently your question was answered on the first page.
  • Melbo89
    Melbo89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. .. Are you venting about people eating back the calories they burn exercising and then saying they don't lose weight?
  • annied1961
    Options
    Don't worry-Be happy!
    Do do do do dodo do oooooooh! :o
    Don't worry be happy now!