Low carb, low calorie breakfasts

Options
alicer461
alicer461 Posts: 46 Member
has anyone got any low carbohydrate, low calorie breakfast ideas? I've tried egg white omlet and protein shakes but I fancy something new to try :)

Thanks

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Low carb low calorie leaves protein. I try rather to get my biggest calorie hit in the morning, including all the macros. It sustains me.
    • How about Greek yogurt with some chia seeds and fruit, allowed to absorb overnight?
    • Chicken and vegetable soup.
    • Non-traditional breakfast, like last night's leftovers.
    • Dim Sum meat dumplings.
  • alicer461
    Options
    Great ideas thanks ! Might try the yogurt idea
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    http://www.wickedstuffed.com/keto-recipes/make-oopsie-bread-adventures-non-baker-trying-bake-oopsie-rolls/ follow the recipe for oopsie bread, add in some cinnamon and use walden farms maple syrup (0 carbs) It tastes just like french toast. I also eat bacon, sausage (I'll dip those in the syrup too) eggs, with cheese, omlets, left overs from dinner the night before
  • orchid4mom
    orchid4mom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love steel oats in the morning cooked with 1 Tbsp raisins :)
  • kristenlarkin
    Options
    Sorry, didn't realize you also said low calorie. I eat low carb high fat. The bacon and sausage wouldn't be low calorie
  • alicer461
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys never heard of this low carb high fat diets ? Do they work? I'm just lowering carbs and eating under 1200 calories a day
  • jazzandbill
    jazzandbill Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i have the same calories per day but since im new to keeping track of what i eat im trying to eat healthier and adding more fruits at least on my breakfast. i have searched for low carbs breakfast and they are too extreme (in my opinion) i really want this to be a lifestyle change so little by little i am trying to make better decisions.
    sorry i cant help but was looking forward to new recipes too :D
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    The most filling low calorie breakfast I eat is two hardboiled eggs with either an apple, banana or greek yogurt/quark. Not the most exciting tho lol
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Firstly, low carb and high fat diet works for some and doesn't for others. I recommend just sticking to a normal diet of carbs, protein and fats :)
  • mandychowx
    mandychowx Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Secondly I like to have low calorie and low carb breakfast too, just because my work out is normally in the evening. I normally have:

Prawn salad made with lettuce and corn.
    Omelet pizza with one egg, two egg whites as the base. Then add veges on top and light cottage cheese.
    Capsicum with an egg cracked in the middle with bacon.
    Scrambled eggs are surprisingly yum in the mornings too!

Cottage cheese is amazing and you can add it to anything! Especially when it's melted.
  • twilighteyes
    twilighteyes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Coconut flour is a amazing. I make either 'pancakes' or 'porridge'. Two teaspoons of coconut flour, a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon to taste, bit of vanilla essence. That's the base for both.

Then for pancakes add 1 whole egg and stir, then add water or unsweetened coconut milk to get the right pancake batter consistency. Cook as you normally would (I make small ones, it feels like more!) and serve with sugar free maple syrup or sugar free jam or raspberries, however you want. It's about 150 calories.

For the porridge, add the base to a pan, add unsweetened coconut milk or water and stir (probably about 50mls, I just do it by a glue or two). Heat and mix together in a pan then add one egg white whilst stirring continously. The egg white brings it together and gives it that porridgy/ready breaks type texture. Once it's cooked through, serve up with what ever you want, sugar free syrup, raspberries... Whatever you fancy. It's about 100 calories. Both recipes are really low carb too, about 5 carbs ish.

Personally I love having a low carb breakfast which feels high carb! Great fibre content too. You can get coconut flour from hollandaise and Barrett in the UK, but cheaper online. It may seem expensive for a small amount but it goes a really long way...
  • twilighteyes
    twilighteyes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    P.s. Apologies for typos, damn auto correct on my phone
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Low carb and low calorie is hard to come by for choices to eat..

I eat 1 fried egg, 2 slices of Canadian bacon and American cheese 2% (every other morning and no bread) and it is lower in calories and a lot "no carb)..

Do a search for low carb breakfasts and there is a list of several things to choose from, since I do not know if you like eggs, meats.. perhaps yogurt with nuts, etc.. are better options... but again low carb does not necessarily mean low calorie and vice versa.
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Banana "Pancakes" - 1 banana mashed, 2 eggs and a pinch of cinnamon. Mix mashed banana with eggs and cinnamon and fry 1/4 cup at a time. Makes about 3 medium "pancakes" for about 270 calories :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Low carb typically goes hand in hand with higher fat intake. Most of the nutrition in the egg is in the egg yolk. Why not eat the whole egg ? Add some butter or bacon to that and it will keep you full longer.

I eat LCHF and aim for 1200 calories daily, made up of 5% carbs, 20-25% protein and 70-75% fat. Keeps me fueled, satisfied, and happy, and gives me loads of energy all day long.

Other low carb breakfast ideas might be : high fat plain Greek yogourt mixed with a bit of low carb protein powder and some low sugar berries such as raspberries.

If you are aiming for a low carb, low calorie plan, what are you eating ? If you are not eating high fat, then, are most of your calories coming from protein alone ? That puzzles me. The majority of the population probably load up on carbs, and that makes their blood sugar rise after eating, then dip about 3 hrs later, making them want to eat more carbs. Check out the low carb and keto groups on MFP for lots of great ideas and low carb support.
  • kristenlarkin
    edited March 2015
    Options
    alicer461 wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas guys never heard of this low carb high fat diets ? Do they work? I'm just lowering carbs and eating under 1200 calories a day

I have lost 103 pounds in 8 months. I have 22 pounds til I hit a healthy bmi, but want to lose at least another 30 pounds. High fat works for me but I'm somewhat low calorie too just because I am never hungry. Everyone is different so you'll have to see what works for you. I personally don't even count my calories just carbs
  • kristenlarkin
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As someone else mentioned the fat keeps you full plus since you are cutting carbs ( I stay under 20g) your body burns fat for energy. When I'm hungry I eat and if I'm not hungry I don't. Some days I feel like I eat all day others I don't eat much at all.
  • becca473
    becca473 Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Check out kalynskitchen.com. Lots of great recipes and meal ideas for low carb and low cal.
  • alicer461
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys :) I might have to up my fat intake then but yes I am mainly eating protein with salads for most meals and protein shakes inbetween for snacks and celery and tatzekie (how ever you spell it). I've been told high protein and low carb is best for losing weight and I've been feeling great, not sluggish or tired which is fab!
  • vegankora
    Options
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it unhealthy to be on a low carb diet? Maybe its because i'm a vegan/occasional vegetarian, but i've always heard that high carb low fat is the way to go? I'm sorry if i'm wrong, not criticizing, just inquiring :)

Anyways, i often eat oatmeal. To cut down on calories you should use water instead of milk :) i often do avocados on toast, and occasionally scrambled eggs with tomatoes if i'm vegetarian for some reason. Greek yoghurt and fruits are really good as well :)