Maintenance... panic

Options
I switched my settings to maintenance today, I've been eating around 1200 a day for over 300 days... I'm a couple pounds under my goal and I've started lifting weights so I figured it's time to add more calories, but now I'm freaking out... I'm allowed 1830 a day... anyone else felt panic at the idea of eating so much more????

Replies

• gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The best advice l have (and others have said the same) is to add calories back slowly, not all at once. Do 1300 for a week or so, then add another 100, etc.... good luck! It takes some adjusting.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat 500 calories the VERY next day. Add 100 or so a week. Or have a high day and a 1500 calorie day. After eating 1200 calories for so long (seriously, no diet break in 300 days?), the scale might go up...but give it time, it should go back down and settle again.
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You don't need to eat 500 calories the VERY next day. Add 100 or so a week. Or have a high day and a 1500 calorie day. After eating 1200 calories for so long (seriously, no diet break in 300 days?), the scale might go up...but give it time, it should go back down and settle again.

Nope... I was determined.. I might would eat a little over... but I would always exercise to get balance it.. thanks for the advice... I will just add a little more and see how it goes.
  • angelgreathouse9
    Options
    gail1961 wrote: »
    The best advice l have (and others have said the same) is to add calories back slowly, not all at once. Do 1300 for a week or so, then add another 100, etc.... good luck! It takes some adjusting.

thanks, that is what I'll do. I'm gonna watch everything very carefully so not to go out of control, I want to find my balance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

thanks, that is what I'll do. I'm gonna watch everything very carefully so not to go out of control, I want to find my balance.

Just remember you should have a maintenance range, not one fixed number, to account for fluctuations.
  • angelgreathouse9
    Options

Just remember you should have a maintenance range, not one fixed number, to account for fluctuations.

what do you mean? like not to freak if the scale goes up a few lbs for a day or so???
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

what do you mean? like not to freak if the scale goes up a few lbs for a day or so???

I mean if your goal weight is 130lbs (for example) then your maintenance range might be 128lbs to 133lbs.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I remember panicking not bcause of the amount of calories I should be eating to maintain, but the people who say that they've gained because of eating at their maintenance level. Freaked me out and I started crying. But I still did it anyway and slowly added back the calories (100 a day every week) and fortunately didn't gain! :-) just slowly add the calories, experiment with it and rnjoy eatig more! :p
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    And yes, dont freak because weight fluctuates throughout the day. For me it's from 105-109 lbs.
  • angelgreathouse9
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    I remember panicking not bcause of the amount of calories I should be eating to maintain, but the people who say that they've gained because of eating at their maintenance level. Freaked me out and I started crying. But I still did it anyway and slowly added back the calories (100 a day every week) and fortunately didn't gain! :-) just slowly add the calories, experiment with it and rnjoy eatig more! :p

thanks I feel a lot better knowing that it's not just me.... there is nothing I want more than to keep this weight off for the rest of my life, so I'll figure this out too. ;)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    what other people have said, up the cals a little at a time for your body to adjust, an intial gain or blaot may happen but as you will be lifting it is important to make sure you hit this higher goal! good luck !
  • KatiAuchinleck
    KatiAuchinleck Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the day where I can even consider such a thing.
  • angelgreathouse9
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the day where I can even consider such a thing.

it'll happen, just keep tracking everything... i'm still in shock that i'm at this point myself...
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    As others have said, add the calories back slowly, 50-100 calories up a week until you reach what your maintenance number should be. This will allow you to adjust your meal and snacks sizes better without just piling on junk food or feeling bloated. And I'll repeat you should set a 4-5 lb maintenance range. I also find it helps me to track my daily weight in a spreadsheet and use the weekly average to tell if my weight is going up or down.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've started lifting weights
    Keep in mind that you'll probably put on some weight from the weight lifting routine. Don't panic, this is normal.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10119729/help-started-exercising-now-gaining-weight

Wrap your head around the idea that you'll gain a little weight when starting a new exercise routine. It can alleviate the need to freak out. The long term benefits of weight lifting will do wonders for your health and well being. The minor added weight from glycogen stores is nothing in the big picture.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Maintenance was so weird for me. Last time I hit goal (stayed there for a decade) was a long time ago, but I still remember it well. I ate at maintenance and was up 5 lbs the next day and freaked out. Went back to eating below. It takes awhile to work into maintenance! Gradually add back the calories, have a range. Only weigh first thing in the morning. Remember the role sodium plays, I found I ate more sodium in maintenance and was more subject to water weight fluctuations. But, you can choose to handle that differently.

I think it took me around 6 months to really get adjusted. But, then for a decade I ate very much like a normal person. If I had pizza one day, I'd eat a lot leaner the next day. After 6 months I quit logging and just let the scale tell me what was going on.

I gained my weight back when the crap hit the fan in 2008 and I lost my job, lost my house, declared bankruptcy, moved back in with my parents. I didn't have a scale, I could only bring with me what fit in my car. I left behind my books, and so much other stuff I wish I could have back today. But, my scale got left behind. I gained most of the weight back in 2-3 months.

BUT, until then, just weighing in daily and adjusting intake based on that worked for a decade.
  • jenniferjohnsonament
    jenniferjohnsonament Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just reached maintenance this week too! Congratulations!

I bumped up to 1300 this week and plan to go to 1400-1500 next week. My maintenance says 2100...sooo I'll be playing with the calories for awhile it looks like.

My biggest obstacle is not getting upset with temporary fluctuations.

Good luck!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I feel your panic. I started out raising 250 calories and did that for almost a year. Then I started losing weight again and finally upped it to the full maintenance allowance. I've been at that for another 2. years

Just because it says you can eat more, doesn't mean you have to. You're ALLOWED to eat more. Eat what you want to within your allowance and follow your appetite.

Congratulations on hitting maintenance! My single piece of advice is to remember that our goals is to STAY thin and healthy, not to hit a particular weight. You can find a good balance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's still the same numbers game it was when you were losing weight - it's just the balance and goal that has changed.
    1830 isn't a lot, 2000/day is frequently given as an average maintenance for a woman (but obviously subject to wide variations).

Try to get your head around rapid changes in weight being impossible to be fat gain - need to start thinking in terms of trends over weeks and ignore the daily fluctuations.
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i reached maintenance two weeks ago and i am doing as others advised...adding 100 or so cals per week. i am also not getting on the scale daily - once a week is enough. i think the minute fluctuations would worry me. i am weighing my food and my activity is stable, so i am going to trust the numbers.