I even hate asking this question

Options

Replies

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I so feel your pain OP! I had surgery a few months ago and ever since I've been sedentary. The holidays hit me like a hammer, and I realized two months ago I needed to get active and lose some of this weight! I'm job-hunting, and I can't afford to buy a bunch of new suits! Since I'm allowed to work out now, I opt for fasted cardio (ETA: and weights twice a week). I have only been doing it for 2 weeks, but I've already seen a significant difference in my size and how I feel. If you have the time and can make yourself get up early, I highly recommend it. Even if you don't lose more weight, it's a great way to start your day, and when you log your cardio into MFP, it shows you a LAVISH number of calories for you to eat for the day.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    according to IIFYM my tdee is 1700 and on MFP losing .5 lbs a week my food is 1300... and at 1300. I am trying to get back outside and do anything to get more activity as well as lifting so I can hopefully eat more and stay active.

Gotcha. Makes sense, even with exercise my TDEE is around 1900. Well! Get to shaking your tail a bit then lady. Move, eat, lift. You'll look great on your cruise.

clearly i need to not be sedentary haha! thanks for encouraging words!! yay lifting!

Nope. If I had my way I wouldn't do any cardio. But we short and need to eat.

I'm for sure happy sitting around eating food all day but my jeans are seriously pissed at me

Were you typically in the 120s when you were active? I thought I'd be done at 130 but now I'm not so sure.

yea I fluctuated from 122-126 when I was the most active not even necessarily working out a lot or even watching what I ate but I was active.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    according to IIFYM my tdee is 1700 and on MFP losing .5 lbs a week my food is 1300... and at 1300. I am trying to get back outside and do anything to get more activity as well as lifting so I can hopefully eat more and stay active.

Gotcha. Makes sense, even with exercise my TDEE is around 1900. Well! Get to shaking your tail a bit then lady. Move, eat, lift. You'll look great on your cruise.

clearly i need to not be sedentary haha! thanks for encouraging words!! yay lifting!

I'm for sure happy sitting around eating food all day but my jeans are seriously pissed at me

Were you typically in the 120s when you were active? I thought I'd be done at 130 but now I'm not so sure.

yea I fluctuated from 122-126 when I was the most active not even necessarily working out a lot or even watching what I ate but I was active.

Gotcha. Just curious because I feel pretty good at 133, enough to wear little/tight black dresses, but I've never been in the 120s so I can't compare :)
  • fishshark
    Options
    I so feel your pain OP! I had surgery a few months ago and ever since I've been sedentary. The holidays hit me like a hammer, and I realized two months ago I needed to get active and lose some of this weight! I'm job-hunting, and I can't afford to buy a bunch of new suits! Since I'm allowed to work out now, I opt for fasted cardio (ETA: and weights twice a week). I have only been doing it for 2 weeks, but I've already seen a significant difference in my size and how I feel. If you have the time and can make yourself get up early, I highly recommend it. Even if you don't lose more weight, it's a great way to start your day, and when you log your cardio into MFP, it shows you a LAVISH number of calories for you to eat for the day.

Thanks you the advice! I do need to really start getting up and doing something active even just walking the dogs.. In the past when I would do that I would get so tired after that I would want to go back to sleep but I think i will adjust.
  • fishshark
    Options

Gotcha. Just curious because I feel pretty good at 133, enough to wear little/tight black dresses, but I've never been in the 120s so I can't compare :)

I had the least about of BF when I was in my 120s as well I think that was the best part.. I would have liked to gain a little bit of muscle back then though. I think 120-125 with low BF would be my ideal! Do you plan on losing more?
  • arditarose
    Options

I had the least about of BF when I was in my 120s as well I think that was the best part.. I would have liked to gain a little bit of muscle back then though. I think 120-125 with low BF would be my ideal! Do you plan on losing more?

Yeah, BF % plays a huge role in how you look. So, my low goal was 130. I think I'm around 20% BF now but still don't think I'm going to be quite happy at 130. Might change to 128. We'll see. I don't even know what those numbers mean.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The next time you are in the store pick up an eight pound bag of potatoes. Just think. That is what you are working to lose. Eight pounds is a LOT.
  • fishshark
    Options

Yeah, BF % plays a huge role in how you look. So, my low goal was 130. I think I'm around 20% BF now but still don't think I'm going to be quite happy at 130. Might change to 128. We'll see. I don't even know what those numbers mean.

Exactly how I feel.. like if a lean body with low BF and some muscle gained is 133 then id be happy.. its always hard to explain my goals because I don't think I care what the weight is I just want to be the best version of myself I can be
  • fishshark
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The next time you are in the store pick up an eight pound bag of potatoes. Just think. That is what you are working to lose. Eight pounds is a LOT.

I actually HAVE a alb bag of potatoes and holy crap haha thats so much more then i thought! it seems so easy like a measly 8 pounds
  • arditarose
    Options

Exactly how I feel.. like if a lean body with low BF and some muscle gained is 133 then id be happy.. its always hard to explain my goals because I don't think I care what the weight is I just want to be the best version of myself I can be

Yeah yeah. Stick to your lifting. Maybe a recomp would be a good decision.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    As the pictures above show, wearing clothes that fit properly can have a significant impact on appearance.

I understand what you are saying but the top I am in In the second pic is a smaller size than the first pic and the bottoms are the same size. If need be I will take the pic again in the same outfit to more accurately demonstrate the change. I just didn't feel like changing cloths.

My pants size has gone from a tight size 8 to a loose size 8/ tight size 6.

I think the most significant thing I have done is gotten back in the gym. I have always loved weightlifting but recently suffered a back injury which took me away from my weights for 5 months. I put on fat but also my muscles "forgot" how to stay tight. Doing regular lifting has put the tension back in the muscles which makes them naturally hold me in better.

As promised....
    Op I hope this shows that small numbers can make big changes.

dr0pna761q1d.jpg
    dtpv2j6vk36k.jpg

Go ahead Tim, tell me I have made no visual progress....
  • arditarose
    Options
    My computer is not letting me quote right now, but never2bstopped, I noticed the difference the first time you posted. Congrats.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    @ never2bstopped. Wow, i never knew a 6lb loss would look so different!
    I'm hoping the 5lbs i want to lose will be as noticeable.
    You look great!
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    You are already close to your healthy weight range. Therefore you are most likely, realistically, looking at -.5 pounds per week. However I think if you hit the gym good (mix of cardio and weights) and eat right you could notice a bit of a difference in 5 weeks. You will at least *feel* better about yourself, especially if you aren't diligent in all this already.

I have a pretty good B&A pic on my profile for 63 days difference. I was super strict with my food and workouts. I was much further from my healthy weight range/GW than you are though.

Best of luck and enjoy the vacation no matter what happens :)

Actually, at 5'3 she IS already at a healthy weight. The range for MY height (5'2) is 105-136 and of course, depending on her body comp, she could already look fab at that weight, just needing to tone up, not necessarily lose. In my profile pic now, I am at 128, size 2, 5'2. I am 22%bf, no need to lose more weight. I think its better to focus on bf% rather than a number on the scale.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As the pictures above show, wearing clothes that fit properly can have a significant impact on appearance.

I understand what you are saying but the top I am in In the second pic is a smaller size than the first pic and the bottoms are the same size. If need be I will take the pic again in the same outfit to more accurately demonstrate the change. I just didn't feel like changing cloths.

My pants size has gone from a tight size 8 to a loose size 8/ tight size 6.

I think the most significant thing I have done is gotten back in the gym. I have always loved weightlifting but recently suffered a back injury which took me away from my weights for 5 months. I put on fat but also my muscles "forgot" how to stay tight. Doing regular lifting has put the tension back in the muscles which makes them naturally hold me in better.

Please don't.
  • nicolebianca48
    nicolebianca48 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same size (height and weight) and lift heavy and lots of cardio. I'm happiest at 132. I think lifting is key to a great looking body!! At least for me.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Do an hour of cardio every day or two every other day and make the workouts intense and productive. Do High Intensity Intervals (HIT) training and cut your calories by 200 as per MFP directives for 2lbs. a week. You should drop maximum weight efficiently.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do an hour of cardio every day or two every other day and make the workouts intense and productive. Do High Intensity Intervals (HIT) training and cut your calories by 200 as per MFP directives for 2lbs. a week. You should drop maximum weight efficiently.

Great way to lose some muscle mass, aggressive diet with high carb burning cardio.

I guess if you don't care what the weight is that is dropped efficiently, you might not care that it's muscle, and be happy with what the scale says, not what the body says.
    And if you don't care you lost fat and exposed nothing underneath to see, again I guess you could be happy with those results.

But I'd suggest reading over the vast majority of the posts in this topic for a better point of view as to what's important, and a better way to obtain it.
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @never2bstopped, you look awesome in those pics! Wow! Good work!
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options

+1 for max effect!! But don't lose more than 2 lbs a week : The MFP police will swoop in and harass you!! A LOT