Runners what are your biggest threats when running outside?

Options

Replies

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    aoven wrote: »
    I run through a woody area where there is always a small chance of encountering a brown bear. They roam around this time of year. It adds a little thrill to the whole workout, sure. So far, no encounters for me, though. I hope it stays that way.

One part of my route takes me through a village where each house keeps a dog or two (because of the bear threat, mostly). They are not always tied and so usually at least one of them barges toward me as I run past. I guess I always seem to surprise them when I suddenly appear out of nowhere and they feel they need to fend me off or something. To be honest, I dislike this part much more than the bear threat. But I try to keep my calm and just push through that mile. No bites so far.

When I was a kid, a neighbors dog used to chase me on my bike. My parents talked to the owner, but he didn't care.

The solution?

Squirt bottle full of ammonia. You'll only have to do it once, and those dogs will never bother you again.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how things unfold with unexpected answers. I am amazed that this many people deal with bears on a regular basis and am surprised there are not any skunk stories. The distracted drivers seems to be overwhelmingly the biggest threat that is most prevalent to those that have posted.
    One important factor in what one will encounter especially distracted drivers is time of day the run takes place with early morning being the best time but there is no reason why people should have to re-arrange their schedules because others are reckless.
  • yogi323
    yogi323 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I live in Panama City Beach Florida, so during Spring break, the crazy drunks are my threat. Getting hit by one, or getting assaulted by a group of them. I normally run early in the morning because most of them are passed out. During the summer the threat is heat stroke and drivers flying down the road. Winter though, everything mostly chills out.
  • The_left_turnover
    The_left_turnover Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Cars. My dad was recently run over while out on a run. He's okay now thank god.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Cars. My dad was recently run over while out on a run. He's okay now thank god.

That is tragic! I am glad your dad is OK now though. Live to run another day :)
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Biggest threats are probably tiger snakes and magpies. The snakes live in a creek I have to cross several times each run and most Aussies will confirm the danger of magpie attacks at a certain time of the year, it's never fun being chased by angry birds.
    I saw this thread title, and instantly thought of magpies. And pluvvers. Bloody pluvvers. I've also been chased by a duck before, which scared me more than it probably should've.

I am terrified of dogs though - I run in a dog on leash park, but so many people think that they can do as they please. I've yelled at owners and called the council but nothing changed so I switched to running in the morning. Aside from the fear of being mauled by a little dog (in my mind, they all go for my Achilles and bring me down so they can go for my jagular), I'm afraid that I will panic and kick out at their overly friendly dog. I don't want to hurt the dog, but fight or flight!
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    To add to the theme: there are lots of dogs where I usually ran (on a forest trail), on and off leash. My country requires mandatory strict dog training, so I have never had a problem. Usually I slow down when I encounter a dog not on a leash, but owners often tell me not to bother slowing down. One said to keep running because their dog "has to learn" how to deal with people running. As I used to run on a forest trail, dogs were really my biggest danger. That and rolling my ankle due to loose gravel or tripping over a root (I wear glasses, but I don't run with them and haven't found contact lenses that are comfortable for me). Luckily I've never had an aggressive magpie (this is perhaps one of the scariest thing EVER ), but I have had a red kite flying around during a run. It was only slightly concerning, but mostly awesome.

I recently moved to a city centre, and due to a recent injury, I haven't started running again. I will soon, and then my fear are cars, definitely cars, they go far too fast on our road and while I was waiting to cross the street in front of our house, I witnessed an accident due to a tailgating truck. There are also tram lines criss-crossing all over our city, so I will have to be extra aware.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    When i'm running at work, I have some geese that have attitude. but they generally let me by. My biggest concern is when i'm running at home, some unlit area's and kids that want to make a 'name for themselves' playing with knives. I'd hate to have to hurt one.
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    troytroy11 wrote: »
    When I lived in Santa Fe I had the threat of all kinds of loose dogs (pit bulls, rotts, etc), and random gang members wandering around. Though I was prepared to deal with an encounter, it never happened. It was like they looked at me and continued on with business even though assaults are common. Once I moved, I still worked in Santa Fe so I would run from the train to work and back to the train through another section of town with high crime. Same thing as before with not once any encounters.
    Now I run through the bosque which is like a woody area by the river with very little risk of human attacks but tons of wildlife. I take my dog most times which is a small spaniel. There are raccoon, bobcats, skunks, beavers, and coyotes. The slight danger makes the run all the more exciting. Having done this for so long, I don't ever want to run in an area with low risk from any kind of attack like watching a movie with a boring ending.
    Those of you who run outside, what are your threats and potential attacks, have you had these encounters and how to you deal with or have dealt with these things?
    I am scared of gators, panthers and bears. The gators are ubiquitous so I don't run before dawn or at night anymore --because it is much harder to avoid them then.

lol I was about to say sharks, but your reply was sooo much better!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Cars turning right not paying attention to pedestrians in the cross walk. Or once I was in a cross walk where I had the right of way and a big sign in the middle stating "Pedestrians in Cross Walk have Right of Way" where I live speed limit is 25 some idiot damn near hit me another 12 inches I would have been clipped.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I live near a deer park, and they are so used to people that you can get pretty close and they just ignore you, or pause their chewing to have a look. It's only during rutting season that you have to be a bit more careful as they can be a bit more aggressive, but they also retreat to the inaccessible parts of the park that time of year. So you can run by pretty confidently and not really worry about it.

When not in the deer park, the biggest threat is heckling groups of teens who are just bark and no bite, and/or being frightened to death by idiotic drivers beeping their horns at you.

Which reminds me - slightly off topic but like 20 years after the film came out, are people EVER going to stop shouting 'run forest run' at runners?
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bloody drop bears
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    When I was living in Dallas, I ran in this park near my house in the morning when it was still dark. It wasn't lit at all so my biggest fear was literally running into something I couldn't see. I was sort of afraid of a personal attack since it wasn't a great neighborhood but I was prepared to fight. :) Thankfully nothing ever happened.

Now I live in a cute suburb of NJ and I feel safe but THESE HILLS. I swear the hills are the biggest danger to me right now haha.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    One time, I was running on a usually popular trail in Seattle. One afternoon, though, I found myself alone running by a crazy-looking guy holding a long knife! Probably my scariest run!
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My dog is probably my biggest threat while running. Whether we're running in the park, on the road (rare), or on the trails he is always trying to jerk me in every which direction and tripping me with his leash. He's only a year old though, so he's still learning proper leash 'etiquette' while running with mommy.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Drivers not paying attention - almost got hit by a lady driving in a hummer in broad daylight last summer.
    I've also changed my route mid-run due to a driver not paying attention.

Frat boys throwing beer cans - almost got hit by a drunk frat boy throwing an unopened beer can off of a 2nd floor balcony. It landed between me and the couple in front of me with their dog.

Ice - it's Maine.
    Potholes - it's Maine.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Right now...ice patches and potholes in the street/sidewalks

but once it gets warmer I look out for is cars, bikes, people and potholes
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I live in the city and the major concern for me are uneven sidewalks/paths/streets, bicyclists, acorns during the Fall season and wet leaves make for slippery falls.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ice and cars. I see a rabbit nearly every morning. The dogs are fenced.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Really the only threat I can think of are #$%&ing insects that fly into your eyes. I once had that happen 1 mile into an 8 mile run. I thought I got it out right away but then it started irritating me around mile 3-4 and I had to stop and try wiping it out of my eyes for another 5-10 minutes. Didn't actually get it out until after I got home.

But other people, dogs, cars, bicyclists, water, ice, roads, gravel, etc have never once been a problem.