Can I get a flat stomach and flat abs if.....

Options
I eat as clean as possible, albeit one unhealthy meal or one or two unhealthy snacks a day. What if I ended up getting drunk from a lot of alcohol (shots for example), would that ruin my progress. As I do have a social life, Although I drink about once a month.... I need help with all this.... considering I live in a house with junk food and I like my savoury foods.....

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Track what you eat. Eat whatever you want but track it and make sure you're at a deficit by the end of the week. Eating "clean" has nothing to do with losing weight, you can eat as as "clean" as you like, but if you eat too much food and still aren't in a deficit you won't lose weight vs if you eat "junk" food but are in a deficit you will lose weight.

Drinking once a month isn't going to ruin your progress. And if you are really worried, drink low cal alcohols and if you want mix use diet pops or flavoured waters (though I'm personally not a fan of the flavoured water :P).

You get a flat stomach and abs from strength training, and losing the weight that covers your abdominal muscles.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Track what you eat. Eat whatever you want but track it and make sure you're at a deficit by the end of the week. Eating "clean" has nothing to do with losing weight, you can eat as as "clean" as you like, but if you eat too much food and still aren't in a deficit you won't lose weight vs if you eat "junk" food but are in a deficit you will lose weight.

Drinking once a month isn't going to ruin your progress. And if you are really worried, drink low cal alcohols and if you want mix use diet pops or flavoured waters (though I'm personally not a fan of the flavoured water :P).

You get a flat stomach and abs from strength training, and losing the weight that covers your abdominal muscles.

Pretty much exactly that.
    Drinking alcohol in moderation is perfectly fine. If you restrict yourself too much in regard to anything, including food, you'll end up overindulging eventually, or possibly simply give up. Moderation is key. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I eat as clean as possible, albeit one unhealthy meal or one or two unhealthy snacks a day. What if I ended up getting drunk from a lot of alcohol (shots for example), would that ruin my progress. As I do have a social life, Although I drink about once a month.... I need help with all this.... considering I live in a house with junk food and I like my savoury foods.....

i can't stand some of the things you say in this post.

"i eat as clean as possible, albeit one unhealthy meal or two unhealthy snacks a day." how is that eating as clean as possible??

and the way you say that you drink "as i do have a social life" implies that those of us that watch what we eat and drink don't have a social life and that we somehow are shut-ins that avoid social outings.

avoid the unhealthy snacks and avoid binge drinking.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

"i eat as clean as possible, albeit one unhealthy meal or two unhealthy snacks a day." how is that eating as clean as possible??

and the way you say that you drink "as i do have a social life" implies that those of us that watch what we eat and drink don't have a social life and that we somehow are shut-ins that avoid social outings.

I think you should reread it. Look at the title. I haven't even started yet. I personally think one unhealthy meal a day compared to the rest of a day of healthy eating is something called a healthy lifestyle. ONE or two healthy snacks compared to the rest of the day healthy eating. That is pretty healthy to me, considering how I eat at the moment.

• never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think you should reread it. Look at the title. I haven't even started yet. I personally think one unhealthy meal a day compared to the rest of a day of healthy eating is something called a healthy lifestyle. ONE or two healthy snacks compared to the rest of the day healthy eating. That is pretty healthy to me, considering how I eat at the moment.

Just admit you aren't going to eat a "clean diet" but instead a balanced and healthy one, and captains first complaint will be taken care of.

Next admit that you don't have to drink to have a social life, but that you enjoy drinking when you are being social, and captains second complaint is taken care of.

It's all in how you choose to word things.
    Shrug*
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

aaah, my mistake. your thread title is literally the start of your post as well. "Can I get a flat stomach and flat abs if I eat as clean as possible, albeit one unhealthy meal or one or two unhealthy snacks a day?"

personally, i was eating whatever i wanted for a long time. i thought i was okay, fitting in all my food in my calories and working out, a glass or two of wine a night. however, my weight was pretty stagnant for about two years.

so i cut back on a lot of things. started having many more fruits and vegetables, stopped drinking as much, etc. that was back in december or so. since then, i've dropped about 20 pounds.

so, based on what has happened to me, then no, i don't think you can achieve your goals with daily unhealthy food and even occasional binge drinking.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I lose what tiny bit of ab definition I have whenever I drink alcohol...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and lift heavy weights. Eventually you will get a flat stomach.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and lift heavy weights. Eventually you will get a flat stomach.

that part is unnecessary. i currently don't lift anything heavier than my bike. my stomach is pretty flat.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

that part is unnecessary. i currently don't lift anything heavier than my bike. my stomach is pretty flat.

I can vouch for that fact.... :bigsmile:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Really? I'm the opposite!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Really? I'm the opposite!

I don't drink enough to get dehydrated, just makes me feel all puffy!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Oh come on. You swim, which is a form of resistance training.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to call troll here. I just commented on another thread this girl started asking about calorie counting. Supposedly she is calorie counting and cutting out some meals if she eats over on one meal. Something smells fishy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Okay, I'm going to call troll here. I just commented on another thread this girl started asking about calorie counting. Supposedly she is calorie counting and cutting out some meals if she eats over on one meal. Something smells fishy.

I know she's seen my stomach fat thread.
  • Capt_Apollo
    edited March 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Oh come on. You swim, which is a form of resistance training.

i'll concede to the fact that swimming is a form of resistance training, but it's still not weight lifting. and i don't even swim all that much for a triathlete.
  • Elkroawolfan
    Options
    Cut out alcohol, it is the biggest weight gainer of all.
    If you want to carry on eating junk foods then you can as long as you do a lot of exercise (this exercise has to me you sweat!) due to the glucose energy being used up at a high rate but junk food is poor nutritionally and for energy production so you will feel tired more quickly.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Cut out alcohol, it is the biggest weight gainer of all.

untrue. there have been numerous studies of the benefits of red wine.

over doing it with a lot of alcohol can be bad for you, not to mention the binge eating that can come with a night out drinking.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    clean eating has nothing to do with "abs"..

if you want "abs" do the following:

eat in a calorie deficit
    pay attention to macro and micro intake
    lift heavy (strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, starting strength, etc) < pick a plan and stick to it.
    do cardio on off days if you want

yes, this means you can eat ice cream, pasta, bagels, etc just make sure that you are also eating nutrient dense foods like chicken/rice/vegetables/fish/ etc…

• Elkroawolfan
    Options
    Alcohol is still kcal`s, still puts weight on you.