Why are you/we here?

Options
2»

Replies

• marynanowak
    Options
    Struggling to lose 25 pounds.. I'm an emotional eater and I just can't seem to get it under control..
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I joined many years ago to support my girlfriend at the time in her weight loss efforts. I was squishy myself and had 15 or so pounds to lose, she ended up losing about

I've long ago reached my goals, stopped tracking and now just rot my brain in these forums, and occasionally stumble upon some relevant information.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 30-40 pounds and get to a healthier BMI.
    My goal is to lose weight eating real food and exercising moderately.
    I wasn't very confident that MFP would help as I have been trying to lose weight for 15 years. I did lose some but always regained and my weight crept up until I was finally obese. I was tired of being out of breath or being left behind when walking with my family or trying to put on clothes and finding they were too tight. I don't want a future where I am stuck in a chair or a bed because it is too hard to move. I don't want to be unhealthy.
    After 5 1/2 months using MFP, I weigh less than I have for at least 5 years. It has been pretty easy to just log what I eat, stick close to my calorie limit and exercise about 30 minutes a day.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I gained weight after college and with both my pregnancies. I wasn't really fat, just overweight. I was getting to a point that I was not longer happy with how I looked. I'm in grad school right now and I want to take advantage of my time flexibility to get in the best shape I can.
  • mocadet95
    mocadet95 Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To regain my confidence and happiness after a rough couple of years. And to finally get to wear what I want!
  • hdonaldsonm
    hdonaldsonm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was doing well my last year of university, exercise classes 5x a week, eating well maintaining a good weight and felt great about myself. I moved across the country after graduation and shortly after got injured in the job. I want to get back to how I was about a year ago and no longer let my injury define me.

Don't have a lot of friends in my new town so support from others on here is helpful.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I signed up a few years when I found myself freaking out about being single, almost 30 and the heaviest I had ever been (155 pounds at 5'3") I stopped logging but eventually lost all of the weight after becoming a lot more active. I was training for a marathon this past summer and enjoying eating ALL OF THE FOOD and then I hurt my leg. I wasn't able to run or even walk around town the way I used to, but I continued to eat as if I was. I put on 15-20 pounds over the last six months and now I'm trying to get back down to my pre-injury weight before I have surgery to fix my hip.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I quit smoking 11 years ago and the pounds piled on. I lost and gained many times, but never made it back to my original weight, and ended up nearly 20 pounds over my previous high weight when I was nine months pregnant over 30 years ago. That's when I put on the screech. I found out about MFP from a personal trainer at the Y, and it's kept me in check ever since. I'm not losing as quickly as I would like, but at least I'm losing!
  • wick3tgirl
    wick3tgirl Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I feel like I was on/off dieting for years on end with the weight creeping on more & more. I was aware of cico, but didn't use/haven't discovered MFP until fairly recently. and realizing this would be so simple. being obsessed with my phone helps the situation :p the community aspect is nice but I am mostly a lurker :blush:
    I am finally doing this for almost 3 months, by doing this, I mean getting fit, healthy and hot for the summer months and more importantly for life! B)
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I joined at the advice of a friend and because my own weight loss efforts were beginning to fail and I hit about a 10 month fitness rut and plateau which had me starting to gain. I dropped 20lbs since November and hit my goal. :D And, when I finally started venturing onto these boards, I've started learning more and more and getting a handle on my health. :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    mocadet95 wrote: »
    To regain my confidence and happiness after a rough couple of years. And to finally get to wear what I want!

Yes ... that's another thing for me. Most of my stuff has been in storage from June 2012 to November 2014 because of travel, moving, etc.

When we unloaded everything, and I started putting my clothes away in my closet, I knew a few items would be too small for me, so I thought I'd put them into a bin in the basement. And then I filled 3 bins of clothes that are too small for me.

Here I had been looking forward to having a wardrobe with variety ... and then I had to pack away half of it because it didn't fit. And about half of the stuff I opted to keep available is borderline too small. How disappointing.

I haven't tried anything on since I've lost a little bit of weight ... I'm kind of waiting until I lose a little bit more. But I'm hoping that in the next month or two, I might be able to wear some more clothes!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I joined because I wanted to lose weight. Now, I just want to get stronger :wink:
  • Chadillac8884
    Chadillac8884 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The clothes started getting tighter............i knew it was time haha
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I'm here because a cycling jersey doesn't look good stretched over rolls of fat. That and because my blood pressure was creeping up.

My husband and I bought good quality, and fairly expensive rain jackets for cycling.

When we bought them about 4 years ago, mine was just a bit snug but still wearable. In the months before I started here, the only way I could wear it was if I did not zip it up ... kind of pointless to leave a rain jacket unzipped!

I've been thinking about buying a new cycling rain jacket ... but my money sense tells me that my current one is still perfectly good, and I haven't worn it much so it looks almost new, and if I just lost a bit of weight, I could wear it again!!!

Well ... I can zip it up!! :D I wouldn't want to make any sudden moves in it, but zipping is a start.

• robw235
    robw235 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've known for a few years that the weight was creeping back on. A visit to the Dr. in early January was the motivation to start being serious about losing weight and getting in shape. I plan to retire next year and want it to be an active, healthy next stage in my life. I want to be around to see my grandchildren grow up.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Calorie tracking. I wantted to lose 19lbs- I've lost 12lbs since Feb and have 7lbs to go. Also I like the community forum for inspiration.