Is it possible to lose weight this fast?

Options
Hi, I used to be on this site a lot and I started at 150lbs and got down to 145. I was so happy but now I'm upto 160. I'm a bit sad because it's the heaviest I've ever been. I have a prom coming up at the end of May and I want to lose some weight. Is it possible for me to lose 8lbs by the end of April? I weigh 161, my height is 5'5. If I can would 1200'calories a day be too much? And how much should I work out

Replies

• evhnm
    evhnm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    IMO, it's hard to say. Yes, physically I'd say it's possible, but it might be easy or OTOH might just not happen, or might require more restriction than you feel comfortable with.

At the outset, it would seem that two pounds a week is doable. It often is, especially starting at the heavier weights, but you aren't starting at a very heavy weight.

Why not just start eating at a deficit, and buy Spanx for the prom? ;)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If the prom is at the end of May, why not set that as your goal? It's much more achievable. Cut calories by 500 per day, which should help you lose 1 lb. per week. That will easily give you the 8 lb loss you want by the end of May.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I lose about 3 lbs a week. You can set a goal of about 1,200 calories a day and exercise. I hula hoop, pogo, ride my bike( a lot), and walk. Drink lots of water. May isn't an unrealistic goal if you get your butt in gear. A good snack when you're hungry is Carrots and low fat ranch and grapes. It's delicious and super cheap. Good luck!
  • evhnm
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have started to eat 1200 calories a day and usually I am under. For dinner I dedicate half of my plate to veggies and the other half usually is chicken breast.
  • honey543
    honey543 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It works. Good luck
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    evhnm wrote: »
    Bump

Impatient much?

• evhnm
    Options
    Bump

Impatient much?

Yes
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    When you lose your weight, do you care whether what you lose will be water, muscle, or fat?

I am a bit concerned that your stated goals, motivations, and courses of action may be setting you up for a future of yo yo and crash diets.
  • evhnm
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    When you lose your weight, do you care whether what you lose will be water, muscle, or fat?

I am a bit concerned that your stated goals, motivations, and courses of action may be setting you up for a future of yo yo and crash diets.

Water and fat.

I am planning on long term, this is just a short term goal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Prom? How old are you?
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Prom? How old are you?

This is my question too...
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Prom? How old are you?

That was my first question. I'm going to go with, not old enough to be on MFP.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    It's not like prom is some big surprise event that no-one knows when it is. Should have thought about this about, oh, six months ago...

Also, if you're young enough for prom, you're not old enough to be here.
  • evhnm
    Options
    Prom? How old are you?
    Prom? How old are you?

This is my question too...
    Prom? How old are you?

That was my first question. I'm going to go with, not old enough to be on MFP.
    misskarne wrote: »
    It's not like prom is some big surprise event that no-one knows when it is. Should have thought about this about, oh, six months ago...

I am 19.

• evhnm
    Options

I was asking for help and if you couldn't answer my question then simply save your time and don't reply, thanks.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I was asking for help and if you couldn't answer my question then simply save your time and don't reply, thanks.

esurance.jpg

Crash dieting isn't the way to go about it either.
  • evhnm
    Options

esurance.jpg

Crash dieting isn't the way to go about it either.

I'm not crash dieting. I'm asking what would be the most effective way to reach my goal.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Everything you're proposing is a crash diet.
  • evhnm
    Options
    Everything you're proposing is a crash diet.

I don't think anyone here understood. I'm asking for advice, not telling you what I'm doing. I'm asking if it is possible to lose x amount of weight in x amount of time it's not hard to understand. Mccindy already answered the question. Thread closed.