Is it possible to lose weight this fast?

Options
2»

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    The answer is no.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    evhnm wrote: »
    Everything you're proposing is a crash diet.

I don't think anyone here understood. I'm asking for advice, not telling you what I'm doing. I'm asking if it is possible to lose x amount of weight in x amount of time it's not hard to understand. Mccindy already answered the question. Thread closed.

Actually, those critical of your goals understood them. With the amount you want to lose, what it is in relation to your current weight, and the timespan you're looking at ... it is a crash diet. Thread continues based on fact, science, and common sense.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Yes, but, you will likely lose lots of muscle with the fat, more than you would if you set a more reasonable goal, and that will result in you 1) Not looking leaner, but simply looking like a smaller version of what you look like now. 2) It will set you up to have your weight rebound to something even higher than the 161 you are at right now. It is because of that you are receiving the responses you are receiving. Losing weight on a time table unless you have to do so for say a surgery or the like, is rarely a good idea.
  • evhnm
    evhnm Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone here understood. I'm asking for advice, not telling you what I'm doing. I'm asking if it is possible to lose x amount of weight in x amount of time it's not hard to understand. Mccindy already answered the question. Thread closed.

Actually, those critical of your goals understood them. With the amount you want to lose, what it is in relation to your current weight, and the timespan you're looking at ... it is a crash diet. Thread continues based on fact, science, and common sense.

Maybe you should have said that at 1:55.
  • evhnm
    evhnm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Is it possible? Yes, but, you will likely lose lots of muscle with the fat, more than you would if you set a more reasonable goal, and that will result in you 1) Not looking leaner, but simply looking like a smaller version of what you look like now. 2) It will set you up to have your weight rebound to something even higher than the 161 you are at right now. It is because of that you are receiving the responses you are receiving. Losing weight on a time table unless you have to do so for say a surgery or the like, is rarely a good idea.

Thank you
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Maybe you should have said that at 1:55.

I did say that in my first post in fewer words.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This is just a general statement and nothing specific, but the most effective way would be to not try to rush it. I get there is only a short time left and you want to look great for that day.

My advice would be not to focus on the actual weight. In my opinion, tracking your weight is one of the least productive ways of measuring your progress. There are many better ways. Like body measurements and reaching new personal bests across your workouts. Both of those things can and will improve (if you're putting in the right work) even if the scale isn't showing you an ideal number.

To summarize: Forget the number on the scale. Focus on making the most out of your workouts and eating right (and enough!). You don't have to eat the bare minimum amount of calories to lose weight, for some people eating that low can actually be counterproductive as it can really slow up your metabolism among a few other things. Good luck, and don't rush it. This does not happen overnight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options

Thank you

The one thing that I didn't mention is that your goal should not simply be weight loss. If all you want to do is lose weight you could cut of a limb and you would weigh less. The goal should be fat loss. That takes time because there is a limit to how much fat you can burn in a day. Losing faster than that has to come from somewhere else, and that would be muscle and bones, neither of which you want to lose.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    cat_98.gif
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can totally lose the weight by prom. And that is not crash dieting. People on here get so fussy about the oddest things.

Put your stats in MFP and pick 2 lbs a week and eat the calories it tells you to. Just don't post about it. A lot of people in this community think that only the slowest method is the best, which is just so wrong. Just keep it healthy and you'll be fine.
  • ana3067
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, you can totally lose the weight by prom. And that is not crash dieting. People on here get so fussy about the oddest things.

Put your stats in MFP and pick 2 lbs a week and eat the calories it tells you to. Just don't post about it. A lot of people in this community think that only the slowest method is the best, which is just so wrong. Just keep it healthy and you'll be fine.

Red_Ugh_Gif.gif

Considering OP is very young (possibly lying about her age) and only has 30lbs to lose as a goal, losing 8lbs/month is not advisable. Nor is her randomly choosing to eat 1200 calories advisable (especially since she asked if that would be too MUCH).
  • ana3067
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    When you lose your weight, do you care whether what you lose will be water, muscle, or fat?

I am a bit concerned that your stated goals, motivations, and courses of action may be setting you up for a future of yo yo and crash diets.

Water and fat.

I am planning on long term, this is just a short term goal.

If you're planning on long term and want to minimize muscle loss, eating 1200 calories or less when you weigh 160lbs is not at all advisable and will not work in your favour.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Two pounds per week is far too aggressive at her current weight. What you're advocating will result in lost lean body mass. You're telling her it isn't a crash diet ... then to max out the system. Perhaps you should actually read what you post and then the glaring issues should become apparent if you understand healthy weight loss for a person with little to lose.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Your last statement is in conflict with the remainder of your post. What you are advising the OP to do is *NOT* healthy.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

OMFG Sophsmother!

So you think that the correct advice to give to a 19 yo female with a sedentary TDEE of about 1800 calories and who appears to have already yo yo dieted once (and who is asking if 1200 calories a day is too much), is to tell her to try and achieve a 1000 calorie a day deficit?

And the "people in the community think that only the slowest methods are best, but if you keep it healthy you'll be fine"?
    How exactly is losing weight FAST keeping it healthy? Or are you talking about some magical healthy foods?

OP:
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    Go. Calculate.

About the only thing that is not self explanatory is the level of exercise you should pick. I would think that anything that makes you short of breath for an hour is "exercise" for that day.

If I walk briskly for 2+ hours a day, my TDEE ends up being slightly above "every day intense or twice daily". Open to other people helping define "exercise level" better.

You see near the bottom where it says "suggested", "aggressive", and "reckless"? Pick one.

It's you body!

[hint: 1200 calories is "beyond aggressive" for a person of your stats if that person were to do no more than walk from her bed to her car to her desk at work to her couch and back to her bed, logging less than about 5,000 steps a day--maybe hitting a bathroom and a restaurant along the way]

BTW the effect of yo yo dieting is to keep making it easier to gain weight and harder to lose it. A few cycles of that and you will be nicely set for the rest of your life-but, hey, what are a few dozen years compared to the 3 hours of your prom!

Hey Sophsmother, how many of the people you were with at your prom have you actually seen IRL in 2015?
  • megandhight
    megandhight Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I lost 9 lbs in a month by eating 1200 calories and not working out really. So you can definitely do it
  • ana3067
    Options
    Absolutely! I lost 9 lbs in a month by eating 1200 calories and not working out really. So you can definitely do it

and yet she shouldn't do it, if you had read her stats and her age.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Some people can lose up to 20 lbs a month.
    Very bad for the health though.
    It's possible, but I don't recommend it.