Maintenance Food Intake

Options
Because everything I eat tends to be low calorie, getting to 1800 cals is pretty tough. I've been filling my calorie allowance with foods that contain high protein/fat to get my macros up which is working well for me - but it means I don't stop eating all day! I have breakfast, 2 snacks, lunch, 2 snacks, dinner, 2 snacks. Yet my calories usually still come in at around 100-200 short. Everyone at my work is saying I don't stop eating which is making me concious, but at least I'm eating lots of good things rather than chocolate and biscuits!! Can anyone relate!?

Replies

• Taniab43
    Taniab43 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yep! I sure can. Even when I was losing 1 pound per week, I found it tough to eat all my calories! I just hit my goal weight, and will be increasing calories today. Should be interesting to see all the food I have to eat! So, you aren't alone:) best!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I can't relate as I like to eat and find it difficult to eat UNDER 1800, I want 2400 but I can't eat that much or I gain, I can maintain at 2100 though so I'll have to live with that.
    ps why care about what others are saying? just do your thing :smile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh yeah. My maintenance is 1700+exercise. I have been under my calorie alotment all but 2 weeks of the last three years - often by several thousand calories in the summer. I love food. I eat healthy. I enjoy ice cream almost every day. But I eat snacks in small portions and veggies in large ones, so it doesn't add up to a lot.

I'm happy. I'm not hungry. I'm maintaining. Must be okay.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Because everything I eat tends to be low calorie, getting to 1800 cals is pretty tough. I've been filling my calorie allowance with foods that contain high protein/fat to get my macros up which is working well for me - but it means I don't stop eating all day! I have breakfast, 2 snacks, lunch, 2 snacks, dinner, 2 snacks. Yet my calories usually still come in at around 100-200 short. Everyone at my work is saying I don't stop eating which is making me concious, but at least I'm eating lots of good things rather than chocolate and biscuits!! Can anyone relate!?

That is exactly how I lost the majority of my weight – eating low calorie healthy food (see below ALL under 250 calories). My meals are always healthy and I always leave room for a snack or 2 at mid-day & night. I eat all day long.

Funny – When people questioned my low calorie intake – my wife to speak up and say “He eats all day long!” The beauty of a scale / portion control and common sense over what is healthy.

Like nxd10 said – “I'm happy. I'm not hungry. I'm maintaining. Must be okay.”

Breakfast%20Samples_under250_zps9pikccgd.jpg

MealSamples_border_zps65f882d4.jpg

73641431.png

• kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I can relate. I am around 50-100 short of my 1800 goal, with the occasional overage (usually on days after hard workouts). I honestly meet that number with a beer or a dessert and don't feel bad about that.

During the day, my meals are around 250-450, with dinner usually being a bit larger. Of course, that leaves room for snacks, which somedays I'm totally into and somedays I'm not. I didn't snack at all yesterday, had a beer and some ice cream and still came in under 1800.

I'd just look for higher calorie snacks--nuts and nut butters, avocado, etc. Enjoy a drink. Enjoy some dessert :)
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I definitely managed to fill my calories over the weekend... :p
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Try making blend shakes example :banana1 oatmeal peanut butter, milk , proteins powder. That just give you about 600-800cals + your meals
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    some days I feel like I'm eating all day, and it has occurred to me that coworkers may wonder: how does she do that??? But I'm satisfied/happy with the way things are going, so no concerns. And if they get curious enough - maybe they'll ask? (Both need to lose weight - as in both have mentioned their doctors harping on them about needing to lose weight.)

Oh, and I do eat candy, chips, etc. sometimes. Just in moderation and with it fitting into my daily range.
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can relate to those comments, I know it feels kinda crappy like they're judging you. You could either say "Well I lost a bunch of weight eating like this, so I guess I'm doing something right!" or you can just shrug your shoulders and ignore it. But if you're maintaining then keep it up!

I would recommend a couple things:

1) I'm not sure what your regular diet is like, but if there's anything you're eating that's "diet" or "substitute" (e.g. egg whites or egg substitute instead of eggs), make a swap.

2) Try increasing your calories gradually. I'm not actually on maintenance yet, just doing a lot of research, and many of the articles I'm reading tell you that you should increase your calories 100-200 at a time until you're eating what you're supposed to be. It will give you some time to adjust mentally and your body time to adjust physically.

Congrats for being on maintenance!
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion. Some people just can't stand not commenting, so just give them a smile and say thanks for the advice. Do what you need to do. If what you eat is high on their priority list of things to worry about, then they have issues bigger than you do worrying about what they say! :D