Treadmill or Dreadmill?

Options

Replies

• _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Treadmill! I love using it in the cold weather months and daya I don't want to go out.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Go outside. If I have to go to the gym for cardio, I have books loaded on my iPad to occupy me (unfortunately their wifi is terrible so I can't get on Netflix, which I'd prefer).
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill because I can raise or lower the incline, can see how fast I'm going (does it matter? no, but I still like that!), and gives me an approximate calorie count. I love outside because for some reason, the Y doesn't allow dogs on the treadmill with you, and my little doxie absolutely adores walking! Plus it's wonderful to see the sunrise or sunset.

Overall, I prefer outside for short walks, but the treadmill for longer ones, if for absolutely no other reason than I have easy access to a bathroom.
  • Elkroawolfan
    Options
    Treadmills are easy to me, i run outside all year round in all kinds of weather.
    I do hill running/fell running.

I think maybe people prefer the treadmill because they don`t get wet or feel the cold.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is good for starting over, like I am doing again. I can control my pace and the timer is right there for walking/jogging. It is much easier on my shins and knees. The concrete sidewalk kills me.
  • Dianardh
    Dianardh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Treadmill if it's too hot, cold, or dark. Otherwise I prefer outside :)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Dreadmill. if road conditions are unsafe, I just don't run. Otherwise, I'm outside in most any conditions to get the run in.
  • salleymo
    salleymo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Although I'd rather be outside but can't (allergies are too much sometimes), I've learned to love the treadmill by watching movies/videos/television.
  • BrownSheep
    BrownSheep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the treadmill and try to do 45-60 minutes on it 4-5 times a week. It works for me. I like watching Sportscenter while I listen to music from my Spotify walking workout playlist. Once I get in my zone the time goes by pretty fast. I recommend https://jog.fm for finding music that matches your pace. The site has all genres. I like the treadmill because it forces me to keep up my pace. I always use the incline. It helps me feel my muscles working and keeps my heart rate up. o:)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Dreadmill. I only run outside. Even with winter weather in northeast PA, I still managed to run at least twice a week. As much as I hate the cold, I hate treadmills more.
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If a guy named Fred uses it, is it the Fredmill?

For me it's the meh-mill because I use it when there's no alternative although I'm not thrilled about it. It came in quite handy this winter, because I just can't run outside when it's icy/too cold. But now that Spring is here, I'm happy to go back to my trails outside.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Definitely dreadmill! I hate running with the power of a thousand suns though. If I do run, it's outside.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer outside, get so bored on the treadmill (or dreadmill as that is pretty accurate for me), and I prefer to just 'go at my own pace', rather than have to faff around with the speed settings constantly!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Dreadmill.

I could never drag myself to the gym on cardio days. I'd rather walk to/from the gym as my warmup/cooldown lol.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it. But there was 10 feet of snow in Boston this year. For some of January, all of February and some of March it just wasn't safe to run outside. I've never been forced to run indoors in the winter before, but it was my only safe option. Anyway, 3 months of running on the treadmill has made me faster than ever. Goals were achieved because of it. I cut 41 seconds off my 5k time because of it. I'm glad to be able to run outside again and you won't find me there in the warmer months, but it has it's uses.
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    kbaileysr wrote: »
    Should it be treadmill or dreadmill? What do you do to make your treadmill experience better? I watch videos as I run on the treadmill to help fade the mundaneness.

Lol I just posted a thread saying how much I love the treadmill! I used to listen to audio books but I've made my workout so intense that all my focus is on surviving! Viva la Treadmill!

• swinefish
    swinefish Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Personally I like the treadmill. I find it to be a really good way to gradually increase my speed and control my incline. I tend to listen to audiobooks while I run, and some books are so good that I'll go for an extra five or ten minutes so I can keep listening.
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    swinefish wrote: »
    Personally I like the treadmill. I find it to be a really good way to gradually increase my speed and control my incline. I tend to listen to audiobooks while I run, and some books are so good that I'll go for an extra five or ten minutes so I can keep listening.

I'm right there with you Swinefish! (Swinefish?! lol)
  • lennyrichileau
    Options
    Travel a lot so sometime the treadmill it is. Books on audible app. That way I can't track time. Most days its outside and thats preferred!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Last Sunday I ran my fourth marathon and a good majority of my training runs were on the treadmill. With snow and ice there wasn't much of a choice most weekends so I put in some movies, watched TV and did whatever necessary to get through it. Two of my four 20 milers were on the treadmill so I proved to myself I'm pretty tough :D