Treadmill or Dreadmill?

Options
13»

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Dread. I don't enjoy running anyway, and the treadmill hurts my knees. I run one race per year for charity and it's time to train forit, but I hate treadmill running.
  • adnaram
    adnaram Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love it. constant temp- not too hot or cold. I hit it and everyone leaves me alone while I watch non-kid appropriate television (love cop shows).
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill! I read on my Kindle and do 15k steps on it. I get to visit other worlds while on my treadmill and I love it. :) Then when DH comes home we go walking outside for 45 minutes.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill. After the first couple of minutes, I hit a sort of meditative state that makes the time fly by - even without music or television, though the addition of those things doesn't suck.

Outside, there are too many distractions to hit that kind of state, and while I do enjoy walking outside, there's just something about my treadmill time that makes it feel like it's "just for me."
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill because it is mindless. Just set it and forget it. I bring my phone, put on something from YT, and watch for the next 25-35 minutes. I can also let my mind wander off. Time seems to pass fairly quickly for me on it.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Dreadmill. I can think of few things I hate more.
    Although I live in Vancouver where the worst weather we get is monsoon, so I don't have weather challenges to deal with. I might change my mind if I lived somewhere cold.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Last Sunday I ran my fourth marathon and a good majority of my training runs were on the treadmill. With snow and ice there wasn't much of a choice most weekends so I put in some movies, watched TV and did whatever necessary to get through it. Two of my four 20 milers were on the treadmill so I proved to myself I'm pretty tough :D

This is me, too. I usually run Tuesdays and Thursdays on the treadmill because I get up before sunrise and don't like running in the dark. Reasons include distrust of drivers, wildlife (almost stepped on a skunk once) and I can't read my watch. I do my long runs outside on Saturdays.

One of the things I like about the treadmill is being able to control the speed and incline. The last tempo run I did before the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon was a pretty good indicator for the 3:46 I ran.

• runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »
    Last Sunday I ran my fourth marathon and a good majority of my training runs were on the treadmill. With snow and ice there wasn't much of a choice most weekends so I put in some movies, watched TV and did whatever necessary to get through it. Two of my four 20 milers were on the treadmill so I proved to myself I'm pretty tough :D

This is me, too. I usually run Tuesdays and Thursdays on the treadmill because I get up before sunrise and don't like running in the dark. Reasons include distrust of drivers, wildlife (almost stepped on a skunk once) and I can't read my watch. I do my long runs outside on Saturdays.

One of the things I like about the treadmill is being able to control the speed and incline. The last tempo run I did before the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon was a pretty good indicator for the 3:46 I ran.

That's awesome! I was actually on my way to running my best marathon but it kind of fell apart for me. I ran in Rome last Sunday (the 22nd) and totally did not anticipate how hard running on cobblestone would be on my body. Between that and the rain I was 10 minutes off my best time but found out later the winner and leaders were also about 10 minutes off their time so that made me feel better :D If not for these conditions I feel like I was more prepared and better trained for this marathon than my previous three! I didn't think that would be possible but honestly I think the long treadmill runs actually helped, not hindered.

I run Tuesdays and Thursdays too. I am out about 5:30 and typically it is dark but I love running in the dark. Soon it will be light about 6am and I'll have to take my sunglasses :)
  • MrKbailey
    MrKbailey Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Wow! 20 miles on a treadmill. I am impressed.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    I like both walking outside and the treadmill.

My husband and I are even planning to buy a treadmill soon, just in time for winter. :) We've been using them at the gym, but figure this will be a convenient way to get 30 or 60 min of exercise in an evening when it is dark, rainy, and cold outside.

We're also planning to pick up a rowing machine. :)