Coffee with Coconut Oil?

Options
Have you tried it, guys? This morning I made my own version of Bulletproof Coffee, but only with one tbsp coconut oil and a little stevia in my blender. It was foamy, with a light taste of coconut - very yummy. I felt it like a good boost, after my workout! Do you think it's healthy, would you try it?

photo-2.jpg

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of BP coffee (sometimes I add just one teaspoon of coconut oil). In my opinion, if you want a coconut flavored coffee, much better to use coconut cream or milk.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    It's a good appetite suppressant, and no more healthy or unhealthy than anything else you put in coffee. You can get refined oil that has no flavor at all, too. I prefer that for cooking, but at least in coffee, the coconut flavor isn't bad.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Putting coconut oil in my coffee just doesn't sound good to me.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I just use 1/2 a tblspn. I think that's even enough to give it the coconut essence.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No thanks.. I use coconut oil in my hair only.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and like the flavor, but it didn't help suppress appetite or give me anymore energy than my regular morning cup. It's not worth the extra calories for me.
  • jewelryS
    jewelryS Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil in my coffee every morning. I use about a 1/2 of a tsp (not a TBLS) per cup and I sometimes have 2 cups before work. Coconut oil is Medium Chain Triglycerides oil. It is what is know as a good for you healthy oil. There are many benefits and yes appetite suppressant is one of them. I too have never notice any decrease in my appetite from it, but I do feel better. It is know to help with digestion (which is why I started to use it), help with memory/mind sharpness and energy. These are not all the benefits but some. There are studies that suggest 2 TBLS a day, that is a bit much for me as I use other oils in my cooking (olive, avocado etc.)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Try some Castrol Magnatec 5W30.

It's appetite suppressing abilities are the stuff of legend.
  • nuttygirly
    nuttygirly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Drinking it right now....with grass fed butter! YUM!!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Try some Castrol Magnatec 5W30.

It's appetite suppressing abilities are the stuff of legend.

*snort*
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    This is what I don't get.
    Cream + agitation + sometimes salt = butter.
    Coconut oil + some other stuff = nondairy creamer.

Why go through all the work?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Ohwhynot wrote: »

How is adding a spoon of coconut oil to coffee extra work? Or the cream, for that matter?
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about trying this. I don't know how much science is behind the claims, but it just sounds like it might taste good.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    When I drink coffee - I drink bullet proof coffee. I enjoy it, but I don't think it does anything for me as far as suppressing my appetite.

I usually prefer butter over coconut oil. But CO is pretty good.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Ohwhynot wrote: »

How is adding a spoon of coconut oil to coffee extra work? Or the cream, for that matter?

For real. It no more work that adding regular creamer/milk/heavy cream/sugar/etc... Takes 3.5seconds
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black, so it has no taste appeal to me.

In terms of weight loss, with all else the same in your life, adding oil is just adding calories. Depending on your other macros, coconut oil might be a bad choice in terms of oil you add to your coffee, simply because it is extremely high in saturated fat (compared to EVOO and other oils).

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tested out this 'bullet proof' theory yet?
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've heard about this many times, and I know a lot of people swear by it...but just the idea of it grosses me right out.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    1 tbs in my morning coffee, gives it a small coconut taste but not like you are drinking oily coffee.

it helps keep my morning tummy grumbles at bay until I finish my workout and eat breakfast.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I like it and it does keep me full throughout the morning and early afternoon. I am not a breakfast person, so this works for me. I like it with heavy whipping cream instead of butter sometimes.