Coffee with Coconut Oil?

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    nuttygirly wrote: »
    Drinking it right now....with grass fed butter! YUM!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvG07dvUoP0ZyF8fTINxqu-i9Vv1B9ObuXyCVHr-X_GqJlc4hk

Black coffee or GTFO! :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here's another one...
    The present work evaluated the efficacy of a very low-calorie-ketogenic** (VLCK) diet in obesity...The VLCK diet was well tolerated and the side effects were moderate and transitory.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24584583

Keto does not require high fat.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've tried it. I just prefer my coffee black. Plus I get a ton of good fat in my diet as it is.
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I can't even stand cream in my coffee*, so coconut oil and/or butter is right out. The mere idea of the greasy mouthfeel makes me gag. But to each their own!

(*full disclosure: I do take 2% milk in my coffee. And I loathe nonfat milk, so apparently I prefer some but not too much fat in my coffee.. :D )
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it, guys? This morning I made my own version of Bulletproof Coffee, but only with one tbsp coconut oil and a little stevia in my blender. It was foamy, with a light taste of coconut - very yummy. I felt it like a good boost, after my workout! Do you think it's healthy, would you try it?

photo-2.jpg

I love this drink but I also add some cocoa powder to mine. Super tasty!!! It is so healthy too. It's a great way to get some calories and fat into your diet of you are like me and can't eat solid food in the morning.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't usually drink my calories, but if I do, and the beverage is going to have the word 'proof' in it, it better be preceded by a #.
  • BackInTheSaddle13
    BackInTheSaddle13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If the specific taste is to your liking great but I don't think it hold any magical powers. The guy who started the trend sells "top notch" products through his own company that are supposedly better than the same stuff you'd buy in any other store. His inspiration was a concoction he tried while on vacation that used yaks milk. Come to the states with something from another country and claim its a weight loss miracle and you got a winner! ;)

I'm not trying to sound condescending but when someone, especially someone with no real health/weight loss/nutrition education claims that their idea is an AMAZING miracle but you should buy their stuff I automatically become cynical. Again if you like it for the specific taste or texture have at it!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Try some Castrol Magnatec 5W30.

It's appetite suppressing abilities are the stuff of legend.

~takes notes~
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    1-2 Tbsp+ 1 scoop protein powder, pretty much a meal replacement drink. Can also add a carby sweetener if you are into that.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm not a coffee drinker. I make bulletproof hot chocolate:

1 serve chocolate protein powder
    1 raw egg
    1 tsp grass fed butter
    1 tsp coconut oil
    and obviously top up with hot water

Very, very creamy and delicious!!

I use a hand immersion blender to mix it all. Takes all of 2 minutes
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm not a coffee drinker. I make bulletproof hot chocolate:

1 serve chocolate protein powder
    1 raw egg
    1 tsp grass fed butter
    1 tsp coconut oil
    and obviously top up with hot water

Very, very creamy and delicious!!

I use a hand immersion blender to mix it all. Takes all of 2 minutes

You just became my hero. I must try this. O_O
  • aperez8732
    aperez8732 Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Gotta try the coco with my coffee... I've also heard that people put butter in their coffee?! :|
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    aperez8732 wrote: »
    Gotta try the coco with my coffee... I've also heard that people put butter in their coffee?! :|

Yes. I don't get the appeal. Then again, I don't get the appeal of shrimp, either, but people seem to eat tons of that all the time, too.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    No, but I had this in my coffee this morning. It was delicious!

29c6713d433d0573_coffeemate-caramel-and-coconut.jpg

Oh my goodness! I wish I could unsee this but I can't and now I have to have some......lol. My favorite Girl Scout cookie in my coffee, I've died and gone to heaven :) This has made my day!!!!!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Here's an actual paper referring to low-fat keto.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy and metabolic impact of a high-protein,low-carbohydrate, low-fat ketogenic diet...
    Daily intake consisted of 650 to 725 calories, which was substantively in the form of protein (80-100 g). The diet was very low in carbohydrates (25 g) and fat (25 g).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9417152

Keto does not require high fat.

If you are morbidly obese and consume only 625-725 calories per day.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you like it, drink it. I don't like wasting that many calories on drinks though so it's not for me. There is nothing magical/healthy/unhealthy about it.
  • adamthompson2006
    adamthompson2006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It works for me so I use it every day.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with milk??

I drink tea anyway.

I tend to use my coconut oil for cooking and putting on my hair and skin...thats about it.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    nuttygirly wrote: »
    Drinking it right now....with grass fed butter! YUM!!
    Same here! Love my BPC. Keeps me full until lunch.