Coffee with Coconut Oil?

Options

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    kr1stadee wrote: »
    Has anyone tested out this 'bullet proof' theory yet?

Bullet proof is the brand name of some guy who sells ridiculously overpriced custom blends of MCT oil and markets them as magic cure alls
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've had it, but prefer it with butter. However, it's not something that I really want to put my calories towards - I'd rather eat them than drink them. I am happy with my coffee black, so I usually drink it that way. I didn't notice any extra zippy energy.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    No, but I had this in my coffee this morning. It was delicious!

29c6713d433d0573_coffeemate-caramel-and-coconut.jpg
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    This is what I don't get.
    Cream + agitation + sometimes salt = butter.
    Coconut oil + some other stuff = nondairy creamer.

Why go through all the work?

How is adding a spoon of coconut oil to coffee extra work? Or the cream, for that matter?

I love to try new things. Do you add creamer too or is it just a black coffee + Coconut oil?

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Butter tastes better, IMO, but that's obviously a personal preference thing.

There's no magic here - you're just adding a whack of fat to your morning beverage. IIFYM and makes you happy, go for it. Will it cast a Harry Potter spell and accelerate weight loss? No....
  • runner475
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

That's my favorite too but I stir away from this flavor and opt for Hazelnut flavor .....
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

That's my favorite too but I stir away from this flavor and opt for Hazelnut flavor .....
    Why if it's your favorite?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

It tastes just like the girl scout cookies! Actually Hazelnut is one of my least favorite of their flavors. I like the Sweet Cream, and then some of the seasonal ones like Pumpkin Spice and Peppermint Mocha.

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Dear God I need this
  • runner475
    Options

It tastes just like the girl scout cookies! Actually Hazelnut is one of my least favorite of their flavors. I like the Sweet Cream, and then some of the seasonal ones like Pumpkin Spice and Peppermint Mocha.

OHH!!! My!!! G!!!!!

Pumpkin spice was like BOOM!!! I don't see it anymore on the shelf though.
    I agree Hazelnut taste doesn't beat Girls Scouts.

Sorry OP I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
  • JPW1990
    Options

How is adding a spoon of coconut oil to coffee extra work? Or the cream, for that matter?

I love to try new things. Do you add creamer too or is it just a black coffee + Coconut oil?

I use heavy whipping cream, coconut oil, stevia and Torani syrup. I'm also keto, so my goal is high fat at every meal. Some people don't like it unless they throw it in the blender or use a stick blender on it to whip in the oil. I don't use all that much of it, so I don't mind if it's not perfectly blended. It's also a thing to use coconut oil and butter (or both and cream on top of that). Not into the butter thing myself. If you're going to buy some oil to try it, virgin tastes and smells like coconut, refined has no taste or smell, and the only real difference is preference. If you want to use the oil to cook with, too, you may want to go refined.
  • Mingomo9
    Mingomo9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes to BP coffee! I don't use sugar or any sweenter so I need good tasting coffee
  • runner475
    Options

I use heavy whipping cream, coconut oil, stevia and Torani syrup. I'm also keto, so my goal is high fat at every meal. Some people don't like it unless they throw it in the blender or use a stick blender on it to whip in the oil. I don't use all that much of it, so I don't mind if it's not perfectly blended. It's also a thing to use coconut oil and butter (or both and cream on top of that). Not into the butter thing myself. If you're going to buy some oil to try it, virgin tastes and smells like coconut, refined has no taste or smell, and the only real difference is preference. If you want to use the oil to cook with, too, you may want to go refined.

Awesome.... The only problem is since you mentioned about blender I can only drink this on weekends or maybe I'll give a shot with office coffee.

I cook in Coconut oil so I do have access to Extra Virgin cold Pressed Coconut oil. But I never tried it in coffee without knowing the right way to do it.

But thanks for the information. Truly Appreciated.

Like I said I'm always game on trying new things.
  • mjc1409
    mjc1409 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    my housemate puts a little bit of coconut oil, little bit of butter and a little bit of creamer in the magic bullet every morning, then adds his coffee after. It looks like a latte when he's done. I've tried it once and it was delicious, but i don't have the patience to do it every day.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I'm also keto, so my goal is high fat at every meal.

Keto doesn't require "high fat at every meal", it just requires very low carbs.

If you want to eat lots of fat, that's up to you :drinker: but keto doesn't require it.

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

For real. It no more work that adding regular creamer/milk/heavy cream/sugar/etc... Takes 3.5seconds
    Do you blend the oil and coffee to emulsify it like 'they' say you are supposed to? The would probably be the extra time that people are talking about.

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    mkakids wrote: »

For real. It no more work that adding regular creamer/milk/heavy cream/sugar/etc... Takes 3.5seconds
    Do you blend the oil and coffee to emulsify it like 'they' say you are supposed to? The would probably be the extra time that people are talking about.

No. I just stir it in. It melts just fine and incorporates.

• JPW1990
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I'm also keto, so my goal is high fat at every meal.

Keto doesn't require "high fat at every meal", it just requires very low carbs.

If you want to eat lots of fat, that's up to you :drinker: but keto doesn't require it.

Is there some reason you think you know better than all the doctors and the RD involved in this? Keto is low carb and high fat for a reason. Low carb and low fat are a good way to get sick, for anyone. The point of the high fat is to fill in the rest of your caloric needs so you don't starve to death (not to be confused with "starvation mode")
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here's an actual paper referring to low-fat keto.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy and metabolic impact of a high-protein,low-carbohydrate, low-fat ketogenic diet...
    Daily intake consisted of 650 to 725 calories, which was substantively in the form of protein (80-100 g). The diet was very low in carbohydrates (25 g) and fat (25 g).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9417152

Keto does not require high fat.