What is your not hungry?

Options
I know breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day because it is suppose to jump start your metabolsim but what if you are not hungry, do you force yourself to eat at least a little something for breakfast? Some days i may not be hungry until 10am. Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on this subject.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It is not necessarily the most important part of the day. Your metabolism doesn't need a jump start. 10 am seems like a completely reasonable time to eat.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    That's basically a myth, eat when you want, don't force yourself to eat. Your metabolism is always going, no need to jump start it or anything. Plenty of people don't eat breakfast and lose weight just fine. At uni I hardly ever ate until lunch time and it never stopped me losing weight.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    There is nothing inherently special about breakfast. If you don't feel like eating, save the calories for later.
  • colleengifford1974
    colleengifford1974 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :D thanks for the advice
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I totally fell for the myth when I first started out 6 months ago, but realized that no matter what I ate for breakfast, or how much (within reason), it never made me less hungry as the day went on. Which of course made the rest of the day difficult as I used up 1/3rd of my calorie allotment. The past few months I eat something light late in the morning as I get a little hungry, and that takes me through to a late lunch, and then a good sized dinner. Its been much easier for me.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The only time I eat if I'm not at all hungry is if I know I have a big workout coming up and I want to have some sort of fuel in me. Also, and this isn't a problem for everyone, is if you find yourself binging if you go too long without eating. I find this happens to me occasionally. Knowing your personal hunger index helps. Don't wait until it gets to a 10 to eat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry in the morning, I eat. But I rarely eat anything before noon and often not until 2-3 p.m. because that's when I get hungry.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I wake up at 5 and eat "breakfast" around 9:30 almost every day (Weekends are kind a toss up) and that strategy has improved my ability to lose weight. Do what makes you happy.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    It is not necessarily the most important part of the day. Your metabolism doesn't need a jump start. 10 am seems like a completely reasonable time to eat.

Yep. Recent research said you can actually eat all your calories in one meal and not have any effects to your metabolism.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry, which is usually at work between 9 and 10. There's no way I'm hungry at 7am when I get up - I've been like this since high school and that was a long, long time ago.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

Yep. Recent research said you can actually eat all your calories in one meal and not have any effects to your metabolism.

Yea! That's what I do. Sometimes have a small something if I feel I really need it, but I like to save my cal's for a nice meal and feel like everyday is a "treat" day.

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of a breakfast eater since I tend to become nauseated if I eat too soon after waking up.

If I eat breakfast, it is at least a couple hours after getting out of bed, and it will generally be something decently light at around 300 calories.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    All I ever want in the morning is coffee. Maybe a couple eggs if I'm lifting heavy later that day. Eat when you're hungry, not when you think you're suppose to eat. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day (1) because it is suppose to jump start your metabolsim (2) but what if you are not hungry, do you force yourself to eat at least a little something for breakfast? (3) Some days i may not be hungry until 10am. Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on this subject.

1. It is not.
    2. It does not.
    3. No, I do not.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I eat one small meal and one large meal each day, and have no problems losing weight. Eat when you're hungry and stop eating when you've had enough calories. :)
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and haven't eaten breakfast on a regular basis since I'm about 8 or 9. I just can't face food first thing in the morning. Monday-Friday I eat lunch and dinner. Saturday and Sunday I do eat breakfast about 2 hours after I get up, but then I don't eat lunch. I've been a 2 meal a day person for a very long time.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to skip breakfast all the time, but I've found since I've been more careful with eating that I do get hungry. Play it by ear--you may find that you need more breakfast if, for example, you cut out evening snacking. For myself, I've found that protein in the morning (or whenever you first eat) is really important or I'm hungry again right away. If you're not hungry, though, I would just eat when you are.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat for an hour or two after I wake up. The thought of eating right away makes me feel ill. I usually eat around 200 calories for breakfast so not a big meal. It is enough to keep me going until lunch though.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything resembling breakfast. I don't eat "breakfast foods," I don't get up in the morning to eat (I sleep from 4 am to noon), and I don't eat within x hours of waking. I do still eat three meals a day and I'm losing just fine.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    I know breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day because it is suppose to jump start your metabolsim but what if you are not hungry, do you force yourself to eat at least a little something for breakfast? Some days i may not be hungry until 10am. Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on this subject.

I am rarely hungry before 10 am ... so I don't eat before 10 am unless I absolutely have to (rare).

I have also found (many years of experience) that if I do eat breakfast at, say, 7:30 am, it is like a switch has been flipped and I am ravenously hungry all day long. I can clean out a fridge. But if I wait until after 10 am, I'm OK. I eat normally.