gastric bypass etc

Options
I don't mean to offend anyone but I'm sure I will. That being said, it irritates the $ hit out of me when people that have had surgery to lose weight give advice like eat small meals, walk, whatever. It may all be valid but that's not how you did it so don't tell other people how to do it. Congrats on doing something to be healthier but don't confuse that with the hard work and sacrifice others are going thru.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    On the other hand, I would argue that that IS how they did it, just with the additional help of that tool (bypass). If not they would have gained it all back, happens all the time
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    People who have had weight loss surgery are eating small meals, walking, and following the advice that they give others.

I've never had weight loss surgery. I don't know what it is like. But I have known some people who have and it doesn't appear to be a way to avoid hard work and sacrifice.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    1234usmc wrote: »
    I don't mean to offend anyone but I'm sure I will. That being said, it irritates the $ hit out of me when people that have had surgery to lose weight give advice like eat small meals, walk, whatever. It may all be valid but that's not how you did it so don't tell other people how to do it. Congrats on doing something to be healthier but don't confuse that with the hard work and sacrifice others are going thru.

Well then, ignore all my posts. I had to follow sensible eating and exercise before surgery, and to maintain I must keep it up afterwards.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yea, but it's easy for someone to say eat less when they surgically made their stomach smaller or whatever. I may be in the minority but that doesn't make me wrong. Just venting my thoughts. Like I said, I'm glad they made the choice they did to help themselves. Just think it is a little disingenuous to give advice. Support is fine.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yea, but it's easy for someone to say eat less when they surgically made their stomach smaller or whatever. I may be in the minority but that doesn't make me wrong. Just venting my thoughts. Like I said, I'm glad they made the choice they did to help themselves. Just think it is a little disingenuous to give advice. Support is fine.

So you're mad because you're jealous that they don't get as hungry as you do.

PS I'm a little mad and jealous sometimes, too. I just have a bit of self-awareness to keep me from dumping my baggage on someone else's front porch.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It's easy for anyone to say anything. Actually doing things is hard and people who have weight loss surgery still have to make decisions about what to eat and how much. They have to decide when to exercise and how much.

• 1234usmc
    Options
    Maybe that's it bcuz I am hungry!!!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    What hard work and sacrifices have you made op?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, if you want to be irritated with jgnatca's advice, thats up to you, but I will tell you from the posts that I have seen of hers she tends to be spot on. Gastric or not lady knows something.

Isn't that always the story: they had gastric so it was so easy for them, they are naturally skinny so its so easy for them, he is taller than me and a dude so it's so easy for him.

Going to have to let go of your pitty party and do you to get anywhere.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

If you think there is anything easy about that surgery, you are sorely mistaken.
  • 1234usmc
    Options

Bad choices got me where I was. I started eating better and working out 5 days a week. I would love to eat ice cream everyday and watch tv instead of run most days but I cant do that. Everything wrong with me is my own fault (except for a family of diabetics). I dont blame anyone for my bad choices and I am not having a pity party. I was just venting. Apparently you cant do that on here. I am working hard to improve my health and keep it that way. I'm glad everyone else on here is too. I new this would start a *kitten* storm, just didnt realize it would be so quick and one sided. No worries, 6 years in the Marine Corps gave me thick skin.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Bad choices got me where I was. I started eating better and working out 5 days a week. I would love to eat ice cream everyday and watch tv instead of run most days but I cant do that. Everything wrong with me is my own fault (except for a family of diabetics). I dont blame anyone for my bad choices and I am not having a pity party. I was just venting. Apparently you cant do that on here. I am working hard to improve my health and keep it that way. I'm glad everyone else on here is too. I new this would start a *kitten* storm, just didnt realize it would be so quick and one sided. No worries, 6 years in the Marine Corps gave me thick skin.

Please. People vent here all the time, but you're singling one population out and basically telling them their opinions don't matter. That is wrong.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    By the way, I get the same hunger signals as I ever had, but I get full a lot faster. It takes planning to make sure I get enough protein in to avoid nasty side-effects. It's a lot less planning than when I was monitoring my blood sugars though. I'm off all medications (yay!) but must continue with vitamins for life (boo!). To avoid selfsame side-effects of surgery.

I am training for my first 5K. I am accepting professional help for this too (physiotherapist), but perhaps you see that as a "cheat" as well. Is my anti-pronating running shoe a "cheat"? My daughter mentioned that she was expecting me to continue to gain weight and lose mobility through retirement, and that she is so terribly proud of me. This weight loss means I've added ten years to my lifespan and all the vitality that goes with it. All in all for the health and mobility gains, it's been worth it!

But of course, 123, you are free to ignore my posts if they are too irritating for you.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery or not, they still have to work hard at losing weight. Yes, they may have had help getting started, but the weight loss surgery doesn't magically do it for them. They have to make the conscious decision to eat well and in a deficit. Also, there are side effects that some of us don't have to struggle with that those who have weight loss surgery may have:
    -Gallstones, often requiring gallbladder removal,
    -vitamin deficiencies or malnutrition, from poor absorption of nutrients, and
    -sagging skin from rapid weight loss.

Another thing: weight loss surgery doesn't mean you'll be successful in the long run. THere are many many weight loss surgery stories where the patient ends up gaining all of the weight they lose back, and sometimes more. Learn the habits that make you successful, regardless of if you have weight loss surgery or not.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

But it didn't teach you not to whine about how other people have it so easy and it's just not fair? I'm surprised.
  • 1234usmc
    Options
    I appologize, I honestly do. If I was going to vent, I still could have done it with a little more thought. Should have treated it like an email at work, type it and let it sit and come back to it later.....I did not mean to imply surgery was not hard, hell, physically I'm sure its harder. Maybe I am frustrated and took it out on one population. Believe it or not, I did edit what I originally typed. Once again, my appologies. I would close this thread if I could, but I'm sure it will go on for a while once people get home from work.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Heck, this board is lightning fast all the time.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I appologize, I honestly do. If I was going to vent, I still could have done it with a little more thought. Should have treated it like an email at work, type it and let it sit and come back to it later.....I did not mean to imply surgery was not hard, hell, physically I'm sure its harder. Maybe I am frustrated and took it out on one population. Believe it or not, I did edit what I originally typed. Once again, my appologies. I would close this thread if I could, but I'm sure it will go on for a while once people get home from work.

If you would like, you can request that a moderator close this thread.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Can't stop a tsunami, 123, just let it roll over. It will run out of energy in due time.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Well then, ignore all my posts. I had to follow sensible eating and exercise before surgery, and to maintain I must keep it up afterwards.

I gotta ask (no offense) but then: why the surgery?

Just keep up the "sensible eating and exercise" you had to do anyway, right, and then the surgery becomes unnecessary.

I really don't get it.

At all.