I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• ghenaghena
    Options
    Amazing! Great job! How did you cut off bad foods at the start of your journey?
  • chasingweights
    Options
    moya_rargh wrote: »
    Congrats, sir :)

My question:

Going from photo 2 to photo 3 (both @195) what has been your training/lifting routine?

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    ghenaghena wrote: »
    Amazing! Great job! How did you cut off bad foods at the start of your journey?
    I never fully cut foods out. I learned to simply eat them in moderation. I do not believe that individual foods can be classified as good or bad. You have to look at a person's diet in a whole, not the individual foods. You can pretty much make any food work in moderation.
    moya_rargh wrote: »
    Congrats, sir :)

My question:

Going from photo 2 to photo 3 (both @195) what has been your training/lifting routine?
    For the first half of that time period I believe I was doing a legs/push/pull routine until I injured my lower back. I then did a modified 5x5 of my own creation while I was recovering.
  • traxxasslash2904
    Options
    How many calories were u taking in at the beging and then how much where u buring incomparison
  • vismal
    Options
    How many calories were u taking in at the beging and then how much where u buring incomparison
    No idea. I never track calories burned. If I'm losing weight, I know I'm burning more than I'm taking in. If I'm not losing weight, I know I need to reduce calories.

• rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    No idea. I never track calories burned. If I'm losing weight, I know I'm burning more than I'm taking in. If I'm not losing weight, I know I need to reduce calories.

first off - thanks for the great example and insights. also, if you are entering in calories...aren't you tracking? anyways...trying to enter in food on MFP so that I can be more mindful.

• giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    rocket_ace wrote: »

first off - thanks for the great example and insights. also, if you are entering in calories...aren't you tracking? anyways...trying to enter in food on MFP so that I can be more mindful.

He was just talking about his calories burned. He till tracks his calorie intake but none of the workout he makes :)
  • vismal
    Options
    rocket_ace wrote: »

He was just talking about his calories burned. He till tracks his calorie intake but none of the workout he makes :)
    this

• 87Starting13Over
    87Starting13Over Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When you decided to lose weight did you jump into a workout plan or started walking?
  • quafferj
    quafferj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So I'm fairly new to this, after decades of making excuses I finally decided it was now or never...I've been going to the gym 3-4 times weekly since August, started doing some of the weight machines in January, and started counting my calories in March. So far the weight is coming off very well, which I'm ecstatic about. My SW in March was 283, and I'm down to 270, but I still have another 120+ lbs to go. My concern is that I seem to be getting weaker, not stronger. The weights I was doing on the machines I seem to be struggling more with than when I started (needless to say increasing them isn't happening), and even my cardio it feels like it is tougher to get through it. My gym routine is one day of cardio, one day leg machines, one day arm machines (lifting scares me because I don't know anything about it and would end up hurting myself). I also feel more tired and have been fighting headaches, but it's also the start of allergy season so that could definitely be a contributing or sole factor for that. What is your recommendation? Do I switch to straight cardio? Lower the weight I'm using on the machines? Up my calories, even though I'm losing at a good rate for my weight?
  • megganjeninngs69
    megganjeninngs69 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Which scale do you prefer digital or dial for accuracy
  • jodiemhorton
    jodiemhorton Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I will quickly put my two cents in on this one. I've had 3 digital ones now and am just about to throw the latest out. Dial all the way for my next one cause I'm fed up
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    B)cheering_minions.gif

• jodiemhorton
    jodiemhorton Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well done :) You have inspired me to get to the gym and do some weights... I've had lots of success on the calorie counting thru mfp and it's obviously time for me to get back there
  • lichic25
    lichic25 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats!!!!!

My question is, how often did you "treat yourself" when it came to eating? I am about a month into my workout/healthy eating regimen and usually take one day off a week
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I herniated a disc between l5 and s1. I couldn't walk, it hurt to sit, it hurt to lay down. It was pure hell. It happened because I let my ego take over in the weight room. I will probably never be able to heavy deadlift again due to the injury though I am slowly trying to rework the movement. It set me back big time and I learned a very valuable lesson the hard way. It took a full calendar year for the pain to go away. I mostly had to do workaround exercises for anything that put tension on my lower back.

Vismal, you look fantastic and should be proud of your accomplishment. Kudos! I'm new here and found your thread and have read all the way to page 10 so far. I'm learning a lot, so thank you from another reader for a great thread.

One thing caught my eye was when you mentioned you had to do workaround exercises for anything that put tension on your lower back. I'd be great if you could share some of those exercises here - or point me to where you discuss this elsewhere. Thanks!
  • megganjeninngs69
    megganjeninngs69 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    quafferj wrote: »
    So I'm fairly new to this, after decades of making excuses I finally decided it was now or never...I've been going to the gym 3-4 times weekly since August, started doing some of the weight machines in January, and started counting my calories in March. So far the weight is coming off very well, which I'm ecstatic about. My SW in March was 283, and I'm down to 270, but I still have another 120+ lbs to go. My concern is that I seem to be getting weaker, not stronger. The weights I was doing on the machines I seem to be struggling more with than when I started (needless to say increasing them isn't happening), and even my cardio it feels like it is tougher to get through it. My gym routine is one day of cardio, one day leg machines, one day arm machines (lifting scares me because I don't know anything about it and would end up hurting myself). I also feel more tired and have been fighting headaches, but it's also the start of allergy season so that could definitely be a contributing or sole factor for that. What is your recommendation? Do I switch to straight cardio? Lower the weight I'm using on the machines? Up my calories, even though I'm losing at a good rate for my weight?

My friend went threw this you should probly go to doc nd have a check up heart etc. Take care :)
  • clare1933
    Options
    orangbatak wrote: »
    For the first 3 months, how many calories were you consuming a day?

During the same time for fitness, did you focus more on cardio or resistance?

Any issue with loose skin? Did you get surgery done?

• vismal
    Options
    When you decided to lose weight did you jump into a workout plan or started walking?
    I started doing the c25k program as well as some random workouts at the YMCA.
    quafferj wrote: »
    You really shouldn't be seeing decreases in strength at this point. The headaches are worth talking to your doctor about. I'd ask them about getting a full workup if you haven't recently had one (blood work, stress test, etc). See what they say and then make a plan based off of that information. As for the weights, try switching to total body 3x a week rather than splitting the body parts.

• vismal
    Options
    For weighing food, digital. The dial are to hard to get down to the gram. For weighing myself, it doesn't matter much. I don't worry about accuracy with my own weights, consistency and reliability is much more important.
    lichic25 wrote: »
    Wow, congrats!!!!!

My question is, how often did you "treat yourself" when it came to eating? I am about a month into my workout/healthy eating regimen and usually take one day off a week
    Basically on holidays, vacation, and my birthday I don't track and eat what I want. For the rest of the time, I just make what I want to eat fit my calorie and macro nutrient goals.
    brentopia wrote: »
    I herniated a disc between l5 and s1. I couldn't walk, it hurt to sit, it hurt to lay down. It was pure hell. It happened because I let my ego take over in the weight room. I will probably never be able to heavy deadlift again due to the injury though I am slowly trying to rework the movement. It set me back big time and I learned a very valuable lesson the hard way. It took a full calendar year for the pain to go away. I mostly had to do workaround exercises for anything that put tension on my lower back.

Vismal, you look fantastic and should be proud of your accomplishment. Kudos! I'm new here and found your thread and have read all the way to page 10 so far. I'm learning a lot, so thank you from another reader for a great thread.

One thing caught my eye was when you mentioned you had to do workaround exercises for anything that put tension on your lower back. I'd be great if you could share some of those exercises here - or point me to where you discuss this elsewhere. Thanks!
    There is a 3 part video series on this on my YouTube page, www.youtube.com/feedingfitness.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!