Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.)

Options

Replies

• rubyrubytuesday
    rubyrubytuesday Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I concur with the big ugly X idea being mean to yourself! Everyone slips up and the fact that you're trying (and still doing really well) is awesome. Yay for smily faces though :smile: (you get one from me!)
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Glad to find this thread! I'm in the B.E.D. group but it doesn't seem to be very active. Let's get on over there and liven the place up! lol

I love the calendar idea. I have started using green/yellow/red on my calendar. Green = binge free day, yellow = overate but stopped a binge, red = binge. But now after reading your posts about the red X, I may just use the green and yellow.

I am reading Shrink Yourself by Dr. Roger Gould right now and have learned a lot about BED. He talks a lot about the period of time between the desire to binge and when you actually start. Something I am trying is to say what I am feeling out loud when I feel a binge coming on. For example, tonight I'm at work and there is a pan of yummy homemade dessert in our break room that has been calling my name all evening. I found myself obsessing over it. I realized that I was planning a mini binge on my break and said to myself, "I am tired and antsy and bored with my job right now. I am ready to go home." By the time my break came I was able to eat my yogurt instead of the dessert and avoid the binge.

Anyway...just a few thoughts. Please feel free to add me as a friend, and add a message so I know you saw me here. :)

• Crystallee145
    Crystallee145 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this for about 10 years. It started with emotional eating annf has progressed. Ive read books about mindful eating and they guve great advice. I struggle with the follow through
  • twichele
    twichele Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Feeling guilty as charged
  • snapdragon1231
    snapdragon1231 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Lots of good stuff. I have been seriously working on this for a few years now. The calendar idea is good one I do agree that the big red X may not be a great approach to some people. A friend from a BED support group always said to be kind to yourself after a binge and hard on yourself before.
    Some approaches that my group found helpful
    -some people binge more when calorie counting, and some find it comforting.
    -For the non calorie counters a good tactic was to put your food on a plate, enjoy your meal and break the habit of seconds, and picking at food.
    -I used to binge terribly at night, I had success by not eating anything after dinner, if I had dessert it was at the table within an hour after dinner. It was almost painful not to eat after dinner then one day I noticed I didn't even think about food after dinner. I went off the rails on that and am working toward it again. Liquids are okay.
    -A little list of reminders like, this feeling will go away, the urge is uncomfortable, but wont hurt me, The more I resist the stronger my resistance becomes, the more I give in the weaker my resistance becomes. I had an alarm on my phone to read this list periodically throughout the day.
    -Most people agreed that labeling any food as bad, or eliminating foods completely was a set up for a binge. That is not to say reducing sugars and carbs were not helpful, but saying I can never.......

That's all I can think of, these were things that either I or another member found helpful.
  • xandralaw
    xandralaw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The counselor I am working with also said not to label things as bad, it only fuels the guilt and the shame which can perpetuate the bingeing. Easier said than done of course when after a binge you feel awful physically - but its all about a mindset change I guess.
  • kmoore049
    Options

-some people binge more when calorie counting, and some find it comforting.
    -For the non calorie counters a good tactic was to put your food on a plate, enjoy your meal and break the habit of seconds, and picking at food.

Calore counting and Weight Watchers have done both help and hinder me. When I refuse the guilt I feel when I calorie count, it can lead to my worst binges. I was once 150 lbs, and now I am so embarassed by the 30 pounds I've gained in the last 2 years. I'm hoping to start acknowledging my binging habits, and realize when to stop my meals. Dinner is my worst time, as I pack a lunch daily and stay away from the work cafeteria.

My fiance is so strong with his eating habits, and I'm hoping by our wedding in a year, I can really get a grip on my binge eating and live a healthier life for myself.

Anyone else feel like home is where the problems come up for binge eating?
  • darcieplarcespr_2015
    Options
    It's really hard to admit this but I think I'm a binge eater. Everyday I come home and it all happens so fast! I barely know what's happened until I've eaten a lot of food but I'm going to try to break this habit. Food seems to be the only thing that makes me feel better, the only thing that I look forward to at the end of the day... Is that really sad? I know that I need to stop but some days, my cravings for sugar are so bad that I cry! Well done anyone who is or has lived with these things! This is really hard! I think it's important that you go in with that mindset, not that it's too hard, but that it is really difficult because then, you won't give up when it's not easy.
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love sugar too. Sometimes it's all I think about. To stop the sugar cravings, buy a ton of fruit at first. Every time you want some thing sweet, eat a piece of fruit. You get natural sugar, but also fiber. Stop eating sugary cereals, drinking juice, soda, and limit your bread intake to two slices a day. Bread is just sugar in disguise. After a couple of weeks, limit yourself to three pieces of fruit a day. Once you get use to that, then you're good to go. In my experience, eliminating all desserts and candy and substituting with fruit is the way to go. As much has I like to think one cookie won't hurt, I feel like it does- I always want more then one. Sugar is an addiction, like heroin. I too am addicted to sugar.
  • N4T4L1E130
    N4T4L1E130 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this for most of my life. There are a lot of factors that influence whether or not I lose control, but the thing that is most helpful to me is avoiding junk food. If I stick to healthy foods, I am more likely to maintain control of my portions. After a bit of success I'll try to enjoy a slice of pizza, a burger, or some wings, which almost always sends me into a backslide. Right now I'm trying to make some substitutions that can help with a craving, like cauliflower crust personal pizza or buffalo cauliflower bites. I'm hoping to avoid relapse with this change. Good luck to you @GoodThymes , and thank you so much for sharing!!!! Btw, this thread led me to finding a support group, so double thanks!!
  • xandralaw
    Options
    It's really hard to admit this but I think I'm a binge eater. Everyday I come home and it all happens so fast! I barely know what's happened until I've eaten a lot of food but I'm going to try to break this habit. Food seems to be the only thing that makes me feel better, the only thing that I look forward to at the end of the day... Is that really sad? I know that I need to stop but some days, my cravings for sugar are so bad that I cry! Well done anyone who is or has lived with these things! This is really hard! I think it's important that you go in with that mindset, not that it's too hard, but that it is really difficult because then, you won't give up when it's not easy.

I have absolutely been in tears before trying not to eat the things I want to - i get angry that I can't have them and then feel like I'm being punished for all the awful things i've eaten my whole life so im supposed to suffer and cry. Its a horrible, horrible cycle and feeling - lately I think I've hit bottom, but that doesn't seem to make it easier to change. It is hard, every day, but I am trying to just take it one day at a time. There is nothing else I can do than that.

This group and knowing there are others that feel like me is already helping me. I had no idea that I wasn't alone.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    N4T4L1E130 wrote: »
    I have struggled with this for most of my life. There are a lot of factors that influence whether or not I lose control, but the thing that is most helpful to me is avoiding junk food. If I stick to healthy foods, I am more likely to maintain control of my portions. After a bit of success I'll try to enjoy a slice of pizza, a burger, or some wings, which almost always sends me into a backslide. Right now I'm trying to make some substitutions that can help with a craving, like cauliflower crust personal pizza or buffalo cauliflower bites. I'm hoping to avoid relapse with this change. Good luck to you @GoodThymes , and thank you so much for sharing!!!! Btw, this thread led me to finding a support group, so double thanks!!

@N4T4L1E130;31912230 The support group you're referring to...is it the link above on pg. 1 of this thread or are you referring to something else? This might sound weird but I feel safe on this thread but joining the other group (OK, so I did join it but haven't been active yet) I don't. No reason other than this is small and intimate and ppl have opened up... I probably just need to get over it...

Actually it's been 3 days with no binge and no desire for one but I've not been going out much because when I first start to get strong again that seems to be a trigger. Going out somewhere means food, spending money etc. Wow, not sure what I'm saying is even making any sense but it hit me maybe I'm afraid because I've gotten to the 3 day mark which for me seems to be a 'turn the corner' place.

any supportive ideas would help :)
    Hearts <3

• missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just started a vyvanse drug trial. For me, it's been working amazingly well. I never thought I'd go the medication route. Binge eating is so embarrassing and depressing. Then you have the "it's not real" skeptics. But it is real for me. This medication has decreased my urges to binge, increased my focus, increased my energy, and I just feel more in control of my life.
    I still go to group therapy as well.
    Best of luck to you!
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    find other outlets for your emotions that arent food related, dont reward yourself with food and when you eat, just eat, dont do anything else, no TV, or music or work, just eat. And hold yourself accountable and figure out why its a thing you do, 90% of the time there are other emotional factors that influence it
  • oxleym08
    oxleym08 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with BED for most of my life which I suspect was caused by my mother being a dancer with an eating disorder, and I am currently a paltry 2 days into trying to take back control of my eating and my life. I find it akin to an addiction and I find the judgement of people who don't understand that it isn't as easy as just 'not eating' the things that are bad for you really difficult. I am currently receiving CBT for my poor relationship with food and the NHS have offered for me to see a nutritionist once every 6 months which doesn't seem too helpful.

I wish you all the luck in the world on your weight loss journey and hope you find it comforting to find like minded people
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    What a timely thread! I just came through a long period of binge eating and it caused me to gain back 19 pounds, which I'd worked really hard to lose. It only took a short while to gain that, but it had taken me 5 months to lose it.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experience, strength, and hope. This was the perfect place for me to land today.
  • xandralaw
    Options
    Actually it's been 3 days with no binge and no desire for one but I've not been going out much because when I first start to get strong again that seems to be a trigger. Going out somewhere means food, spending money etc. Wow, not sure what I'm saying is even making any sense but it hit me maybe I'm afraid because I've gotten to the 3 day mark which for me seems to be a 'turn the corner' place.

any supportive ideas would help :)
    Hearts <3

@Hearts_2015;31913605 I am on the same schedule as you - Day 3! and I totally feel you about the going out to eat - that is my weakness - at the end of the day I am so spent that the thought of going home and cooking or even waiting for my husband to cook is agonizing - I just want to eat, so restaurants loom like a monster in the closet. I gave in last night but I didn't binge - I allowed myself to have one thing I would normally binge on, but split it with my family so I couldn't eat it all. Then I made rules about what I could order - I forgave myself for being there but didn't go off the handle - I had one martini, not the usual 2 and I ordered only raw sushi rolls (no fried, tempura, crunch with sauces) - and I only had one special roll and a hand roll (and didn't even eat the hand roll until I got home). I guess what I'm saying is that being in a restaurant doesn't have to be a failure, nor does eating something unhealthy as long as you attempt moderation (share with family, ask for half order, know how much is coming and commit to only eating a specific number)... I hope this makes sense. lol

Either way - I totally hear you :smile:
  • zebacuff
    zebacuff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This article has been helpful for me:

http://www.niashanks.com/20-tips-binge-eating/
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am so glad to have come across this thread today. I have struggled with this every day of my life. I would agree with recognizing your triggers. I am just learning mine. Being bored is a big one for me. I love the idea someone put up about planning to take a walk or do something around those times when you know you are prone to a binge. I am going to put that one to work for me this week. :)
  • xandralaw
    Options
    OK - don't laugh - but my trigger is going home - so what do I do? not? lol Its really a stress factor and that there is just so much at home and i escape with the food - so stress management i guess? Not really sure how to do that. My schedule allows for so little time for myself its very challenging.