Hypothyroidism and weightloss

Options
13»

Replies

• ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hashis here too... Diagnosed about 4 years ago. Not going to repeat what everyone's said on here, so all I'm going to say is... It can definitely be frustrating.

I was always really active my whole life, so I find that I personally have to continue to be active and when I wanna create a deficit and speed up the weight loss process, I gotta reeeeaaaally amp the exercise up. I do a lot of weight lifting to keep the metabolism up in general though (although I've been slacking lately)... Makes me feel a whole lot better compared to the days I do absolutely nothing. I always find I have more energy after a workout for that reason for sure.

True ok , but what if I have amped up my exercise? You think I need to turbo it then lol idk I guess I just need help!
  • lesliedias22
    lesliedias22 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Random question here. But since this "autoimmune diseases travel in packs" thing has been coming up a lot...

What are some of the other autoimmune diseases everyone has going on?

Hereditary? Random?
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Random question here. But since this "autoimmune diseases travel in packs" thing has been coming up a lot...

Hereditary? Random?

I've mainly just got allergies and asthma which is in a similar vein as the body's normal immune functions get confused. From potentially life threatening to mild reactions: lavender, perfume, wheat, grass, dust, mold, lilies, juniper, lilacs, cats, copper, bees, band aid adhesives, nickel, SLS, tin (?? still figuring this one out), and quite likely a few others. I carry serious antihistamines and an inhaler with me everywhere and always have. But hey, my celiac test came back negative, so I got that going for me.

As far as my Hashimotos goes, only my m. aunt has been diagnosed with it. We both started showing symptoms as adolescents which I think is interesting. However- my husband's maternal grandma, aunt, mother, sister and himself all have Hashimotos too. Although only his grandma & aunt are experiencing any symptoms & are medicated for it (early 80's and late 50's). Again no other autoimmune diseases have been diagnosed (although his mom has a flag for RA). I think it's really interesting how it progresses differently in our families.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1) If your TSH is normal, then this does not explain hair loss. Whatver is causing this, it is not Hashimoto's. It is common for Hashimoto's and other autoimmune disorders to be discovered before they cause any sympotms. Also it is not uncommon to not need meds after giving birth for a while, as your hormones are changing a lot. Even if you are hypothyroid and are going to be again hypothyroid in a few months, it is possible to get a break after giving birht, where you might even become temporarily hyperthyroid.
    2) If you are not losign weight, you are eating at maintenance. If you are breastfeeding too, and still not losing, then you are eating a lot more than maintenance for your weight without breastfeeding. Either your calorie goal is not realistic and much higher than it should be (e.g. you are overestimating a lot exercise calories) or you are not properly countign calories (e.g. not using a food scale).
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    Hashis here too... Diagnosed about 4 years ago. Not going to repeat what everyone's said on here, so all I'm going to say is... It can definitely be frustrating.

I was always really active my whole life, so I find that I personally have to continue to be active and when I wanna create a deficit and speed up the weight loss process, I gotta reeeeaaaally amp the exercise up. I do a lot of weight lifting to keep the metabolism up in general though (although I've been slacking lately)... Makes me feel a whole lot better compared to the days I do absolutely nothing. I always find I have more energy after a workout for that reason for sure.

True ok , but what if I have amped up my exercise? You think I need to turbo it then lol idk I guess I just need help!

I don't know about everyone else, but I know for myself, both before and after my DX, more exercise never worked to get the fat to go. Only cutting calories did that.

• Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Hereditary? Random?

My mom has Sjogren's , Crohn's and Rheumatoid arthritis, and Fibromyalgia.

My niece was diagnosed Celiac at age 10, now has Juvenile RA. She's 19 this year.

they rarely present alone.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hereditary? Random?

Mine were random, but celiac should be hereditary. I think it's possible that the ones I have went undiagnosed in other family members. My doctor theorized that family members possibly carried the genes but they were never activated.

I also have celiac disease, fibromyalgia (my endocrinologist does too, and she swears up and down that one day they'll link this to autoimmunity :smile: ) and psoriatic arthritis. All of the women in my family have Hashimoto's.

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Don't you think it's possible after 10 different doctors have tested you and told you you're not hypothyroid that... you're NOT hypothyroid?

Most docs don't understand it so no, you can't presume that. Original poster, do you have a lot of the symptoms of hypo?
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    A TSH of 4.5 shows hypo.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    4theking wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Don't you think it's possible after 10 different doctors have tested you and told you you're not hypothyroid that... you're NOT hypothyroid?

Most docs don't understand it so no, you can't presume that. Original poster, do you have a lot of the symptoms of hypo?

I have no idea where you live, but this claim makes no sense to me, unless you are somewhere where no endocrinolgist exist and you are expecting a random dr, like a pulmonologist to treat hypothyroidism. It is an illness so common, that it is trivial for an endocrinologist to diagnose and treat.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Hereditary? Random?

Type 1 diabetes, hashimotos, celiac here. Same with my mom. My son had type 1 diabetes and Addisons. No hashi. Sister has celiac and nothing else. FWIW I've had hashi for 30 years, treated with levothyroxine and am losing weight on mfp with a food scale and exercise.

@Danilynn1975‌ did I read you right where they did a biopsy on your thyroid before/without doing bloodwork? I've had an ultrasound and Bloodwork and fortunately didn't need a biopsy but the biopsy would have been a last resort to check for cancer.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »

Hereditary? Random?

Type 1 diabetes, hashimotos, celiac here. Same with my mom. My son had type 1 diabetes and Addisons. No hashi. Sister has celiac and nothing else. FWIW I've had hashi for 30 years, treated with levothyroxine and am losing weight on mfp with a food scale and exercise.

@Danilynn1975‌ did I read you right where they did a biopsy on your thyroid before/without doing bloodwork? I've had an ultrasound and Bloodwork and fortunately didn't need a biopsy but the biopsy would have been a last resort to check for cancer.

The biopsy was to rule out cancer. Came back inconclusive. Repeat it in 6 months. Did show Hashimoto's. The biopsy was done after a white blood cell came back 3 times very high and other blood work off as well.

The biopsy came quickly after the ultrasound showed growths and swelling.

Then 3 different sets of more blood draws a week apart all showed Hashimoto's antibodies.

My aunt died from grave's disease that sent her into a thyroid storm in 1970, 5 years before I was born. Her heart gave out from it.

So they tested me for both. I actually have antibodies for Both graves and Hashimoto's.

This is part of the issue they have with treating me. With antibodies for both, my thyroid could swing quickly and dangerously fast.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Ok sorry I missed all of that in all of the replies. That's crazy to have antibodies for both graves and hashis. And I'm sure very difficult to treat.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I had a doctor tell me I was tired because I have kids, never mind the 20+ other symptoms I had on a checklist for him. My new doctor ordered tests and found out I have Hashimoto's. My tsh was in high normal range but my antibody count was 818, normal range is in the 30s.

My recommendation is get an antibody test to check for Hashimoto's since it is the main cause of hypothyroidism. I have found that I can't lose weight on 1400 calories per day, unless I go lower carb and gluten free. Gluten mimics thyroid cells and makes the immune system want to attack it, which worsens symptoms. I get terrible bloating (up to 3lb), brain fog, fatigue, irritability and lack of concentration if I eat a serving or more of a glutenous food.

Also, if you get synthroid, or other thyroid pills, take them an hour before eating or four hours afterward for full effect. And time other medications around them in the same way. Vitamin D, zinc, and selenium are often found to be deficient in hypothyroid/hashimoto's patients, so consider taking supplements and see if anything improves.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I hope aggelkik comes in and rebuts that whole gluten mimicking thyroid cells. That sounds like woo to me.

Also, bloating is gas... how does gas weigh 3 pounds?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It's an excuse - nothing more. One I've used to defend my lazy behavior for over 10 years until I got sick of it. There are several elite level athletes performing at a level higher than they were prior to total thyroidectomy.

CICO - losing weight is as easy as simple diet and exercise.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    It's an excuse - nothing more. One I've used to defend my lazy behavior for over 10 years until I got sick of it. There are several elite level athletes performing at a level higher than they were prior to total thyroidectomy.

I think you might be more accurate to say "It can be used as an excuse."

Not everyone posting here is excuse-making.

But I will agree, there is some "you don't know my hypothyroidism!"

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I think you might be more accurate to say "It can be used as an excuse."

Not everyone posting here is excuse-making.

But I will agree, there is some "you don't know my hypothyroidism!"

Thank you :) - very true.

Willpower can overcome almost anything, especially hypothyroidism. Just need to find a motivator that suits you.

• redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Hashi here - I was just diagnosed this spring and am still working on getting medication right. I think I need more than the 50mg I was initially prescribed. I am going back to monitor soon though so that should get sorted.

Thanks for all the advice above. I've gained 25 pounds pretty quickly at least in part as a result of Hashimoto's and am anxious to get back down to my regular (and then ideally goal) weight.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    Anyone with advice on losing weight with hypothyroidism?

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost the weight and have maintained for a year by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue, so I can be more active. But I kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. And I lost the weight before my levels ever entered the "normal" range. Logging changed my life.