People don't like cardio...?

Options
I've been on this site a while now but I'd say I'm only really starting to get to grips with fitness and nutrition. I've seen a lot of people on here not really being big fans of cardio or, more importantly, not thinking it's very helpful or effective. My main goal at the moment is just losing weight and I absolutely love cardio - I find that HIIT videos (my favourites are FitnessBlender's) are brilliant because I can get really sweaty and a good calorie burn without putting in loads of time (time which I don't have). I'm not arguing with people's POVs, I'm just confused and would like someone to explain why some people don't think cardio is very effective.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Here is the math of cardio, pure and simple:

Without cardio:
    - Eat 1200
    - Burn 1700
    - Loss, 1 lb per week on average.

With cardio:
    - Eat 1700
    - Burn 2200
    - Loss, 1 lb per week on average.

Could you eat less with cardio and lose more? Yes, but over time, your body is going to start shutting things down to compensate for your excess.

Cardio is excellent for building cardiovascular health and endurance (two very important fitness areas), but it should otherwise be a wash in your fat loss program.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm not one of those people. I love cardio and do more than 15 hours a week. I like putting those old wive's tales to the test like "you can't out exercise a bad diet..."... "Okay, but let me try". :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I don't do it because it bores me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Cardio (like weight lifting) is for health and fitness. CICO is for weight loss. I'm not a cardio fan, but do it because as I age, I KNOW it's better for my heart. But I'd much rather weight lift because firm muscles look and feel better and I don't get that from just doing cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cardio (like weight lifting) is for health and fitness. CICO is for weight loss. I'm not a cardio fan, but do it because as I age, I KNOW it's better for my heart. But I'd much rather weight lift because firm muscles look and feel better and I don't get that from just doing cardio.

My High-density lipoprotein (HDL) is 99. Above 60 is considered optimal for protecting your heart.
  • RMaxwell90
    RMaxwell90 Posts: 36 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    "Effective" depends on your goals.

If you want to lose some weight, then cardio can work just fine. However, resistance training (bodyweight or otherwise) causes microtrauma to the muscles which must be repaired, which burns more calories after you've finished working out.
    This effect it's much smaller, if not nonexistent, for something like steady state cardio. (Granted there are many, many ways to do cardio including circuits, barbell complexes, and others that combine resistance and cardio).

In this manner it could be argued that, for weight loss, resistance training is more efficient, but that doesn't make cardio ineffective.

I generally only add cardio to my routine when I notice my conditioning is limiting the weight I can move on the gym, but that's mostly because it bores me and I'd rather be lifting :)

If you enjoy it, then by all means keep at it! It can be beneficial to weight loss as long as your not overeating to compensate for the energy used up.
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you for explaining it to me, everyone.
    I genuinely enjoy doing cardio - stuff like HIIT makes me focus on just it because it's so intense, making it so good for clearing my head. Lifting unfortunately for me isn't an option because I can't afford the £40 per month memberships of my local gyms... Maybe when I move areas later this year I can start.
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    RMaxwell90 wrote: »

If you want to lose some weight, then cardio can work just fine. However, resistance training (bodyweight or otherwise) causes microtrauma to the muscles which must be repaired, which burns more calories after you've finished working out.
    This effect it's much smaller, if not nonexistent, for something like steady state cardio. (Granted there are many, many ways to do cardio including circuits, barbell complexes, and others that combine resistance and cardio).

In this manner it could be argued that, for weight loss, resistance training is more efficient, but that doesn't make cardio ineffective.

I generally only as cardio to my routine when I notice my conditioning is limiting the weight I can move on the gym, but that's mostly because it bores me and is rather be lifting :)

If you enjoy it, then by all means keep at it! It can be beneficial to weight loss as long as your not overeating to compensate for the energy used up.

I try to add in some resistance training too - that what I love about the FitnessBlender videos. I try not to overeat to compensate and I'm generally pretty good at staying within my goals but burning a few extra calories through doing predominantly cardio is useful being a young woman who can't resist a night out with friends! :D

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Cardio is excellent for heart health and blood pressure. It's definitely worth the time to do.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

I generally only add cardio to my routine when I notice my conditioning is limiting the weight I can move on the gym, but that's mostly because it bores me and I'd rather be lifting :)

Strong first post newbie. :smile:
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I don't really like it, but current endurance goals require me to do it. I don't think it's ineffective, though. I just prefer lifting.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've been on this site a while now but I'd say I'm only really starting to get to grips with fitness and nutrition. I've seen a lot of people on here not really being big fans of cardio or, more importantly, not thinking it's very helpful or effective. My main goal at the moment is just losing weight and I absolutely love cardio - I find that HIIT videos (my favourites are FitnessBlender's) are brilliant because I can get really sweaty and a good calorie burn without putting in loads of time (time which I don't have). I'm not arguing with people's POVs, I'm just confused and would like someone to explain why some people don't think cardio is very effective.

I've never seen anyone on this site say that cardio isn't beneficial in regards to health. In regards to working on body composition, that's different.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

My High-density lipoprotein (HDL) is 99. Above 60 is considered optimal for protecting your heart.
    Correct, but having good HDL levels doesn't attribute to the efficiency of heart contraction strength.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thank you for explaining it to me, everyone.
    I genuinely enjoy doing cardio - stuff like HIIT makes me focus on just it because it's so intense, making it so good for clearing my head. Lifting unfortunately for me isn't an option because I can't afford the £40 per month memberships of my local gyms... Maybe when I move areas later this year I can start.
    You don't need a gym to resistance train though. Pushups, pullups, one legged squats, one arm pushups against a wall, etc. don't need anything but bodyweight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Technically, lifting is a type of HIIT which means that although it's focus isn't mainly improving cardio, it is still some type of cardio. You are still working on endurance and improving heart health.

I'm not sure if when we are saying cardio we are just talking about steady state because HIIT is both resistance training and cardio and what about complexes? That's technically lifting and cardio as well.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy it. I find it painful and boring. My current goals don't require it, but I do a little anyway. I enjoy lifting and combined with appropriate calorie intake it gets me to my goals with little need for cardio.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I just dont enjoy traditional cardio. Luckily for me, i'm a roller derby girl so I get about 7 hours of cardio a week in the form of skating, so when I'm at the gym it's pure lifts.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the most fun! I started doing it long before anyone told me to, and sometimes even when told not to. I would still do it even if it weren't good for me.

Things like hiking, sports, riding bikes, playing ... these are things I wouldn't want to live without.

Enclosing myself in a germy room of sweaty strangers so I can pick up and put down heavy things. :s No thanks! I'd rather go climb a tree.
  • RMaxwell90
    RMaxwell90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Strong first post newbie. :smile:

Haha, why thank you. Had to start strong!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Enclosing myself in a germy room of sweaty strangers so I can pick up and put down heavy things. :s No thanks! I'd rather go climb a tree.

You always find a way to throw in a rude, backhanded comment don't you?