People don't like cardio...?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the most fun! I started doing it long before anyone told me to, and sometimes even when told not to. I would still do it even if it weren't good for me.

Things like hiking, sports, riding bikes, playing ... these are things I wouldn't want to live without.

Enclosing myself in a germy room of sweaty strangers so I can pick up and put down heavy things. :s No thanks! I'd rather go climb a tree.

Umm...who says you have to do that to lift weights? Lots of people have their own gyms in garages (w/ door open) or even just out on their patio.

There's also gyms that have stuff outdoors to workout with and then there's body routines you could also do outside so....
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love cardio. I didn't enjoy weight training when I was doing it regularly. I think they're both good for various reasons. Do what you'll stick with is what I always hear!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Enclosing myself in a germy room of sweaty strangers so I can pick up and put down heavy things. :s No thanks! I'd rather go climb a tree.

You always find a way to throw in a rude, backhanded comment don't you?

:laugh:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

basically
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Do what you'll stick with is what I always hear!

That's the main thing. If I had to run on a treadmill or pedal a stationary bike for cardio, I would probably hate it, too. Once I found cardio I genuinely enjoyed, it makes it easy as I don't ever really feel like I'm doing cardio. I'm just out with my friends riding bicycles.

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the most fun! I started doing it long before anyone told me to, and sometimes even when told not to. I would still do it even if it weren't good for me.

Things like hiking, sports, riding bikes, playing ... these are things I wouldn't want to live without.

Please remember to fall out of that tree.
  • hashTag_Wade
    hashTag_Wade Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    IMO, I think there needs to be a balanced approach to fitness/weight loss. That is partly why I like P90X3 so much. It provides a well rounded approach - weight training, body weight training, cardio, flexibility, balance, agility, etc. I am 40 y/o and have done 1 round of it and am 2/3 of the way through a second round. In addition, I run/bike 15-25 miles per week (cardio) but only because I am trying fro a 1/2 marathon and triathlon shortly after that. I have lost 40 lbs, and reached my goal weight, since October 2014.

Long story short - I don't think it has to be an either/or proposition. I think a balanced plan is the answer
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    It's boring, so I do an hour a week at best.

this pretty much sums up my opinion on it....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

The opinion wasn't backhanded. I said exactly what I mean. And it wasn't meant to be rude, it's simply my opinion. Please don't take it as a judgement of what you do. I embrace diversity. Do what you enjoy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Umm...who says you have to do that to lift weights? Lots of people have their own gyms in garages (w/ door open) or even just out on their patio.

There's also gyms that have stuff outdoors to workout with and then there's body routines you could also do outside so....

Nobody said it, including me. I do lift weights occassionally.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

The opinion wasn't backhanded. I said exactly what I mean. And it wasn't meant to be rude, it's simply my opinion. Please don't take it as a judgement of what you do. I embrace diversity. Do what you enjoy.

Whatever, you deliberately worded it to entice a reaction. You can act like you didn't, but you know you did.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Whatever, you deliberately worded it to entice a reaction. You can act like you didn't, but you know you did.

:/ I worded it as I speak. I can't change your mind, but my intent was not rudeness.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

You deliberately worded it to try to get a reaction out of lifters. It's not the first time you have done so.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

That's all she knows.

I walk 6 miles 7 days a week (and sometimes more) and weight lift 4 days a week. ;)

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Not a problem, just leaves more room in the weight room for those of us that enjoy it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I started dedicated cardio (as opposed to "oh, look, a pickup game!") about 2.5 years ago. Hated it - running without purpose - crimminy, at least put the scent of a bear on the trail so I can delude myself into thinking I'm out here for a reason, KWIM?

But...

It kind of grew into a habit. And as I realized the health benefits that were coming with it, I kinda begrudgingly had to admit I was starting to like it. Now it's my morning meditation zone...

ETA: I also don't see a conflict between cardio and resistance training - they serve different physiological needs, and are satisfying in different ways. Do some of each, and more of the one you like more! :drinker:

• carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have no clue as to others prior experiences w other posters....but to be so aggressive over someone's preference....wow. I've never seen rudeness til now. I've been on this site for years to. One person makes a comment then you all follow suit. Grow up a little.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I don't do it because it bores me.

FTW!! That being said, as I age, I find I need to throw in more cardio than I would like to. Because Health and stuff :)

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I have no clue as to others prior experiences w other posters....but to be so aggressive over someone's preference....wow. I've never seen rudeness til now. I've been on this site for years to. One person makes a comment then you all follow suit. Grow up a little.

Only on MFP do we call out the people responding to someone's asinine comment.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

You deliberately worded it to try to get a reaction out of lifters. It's not the first time you have done so.
    Her? Never

OP - I love running.... BUT only from April - end of September. I hate running inside, and refuse to do outside during the extreme winters here in Edmonton.
    I actually am training for my first half this fall, and FINALLY getting my cardio lazy behind outside today for my second outdoor run of the year... which will be brutal, I know.
    (Will report back with post-run high later today :kissing_heart: )