How in the world do I pick a protein powder??

Options
124»

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    how is protein powder not real food?
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with good old whey. Hemp is healthier but I find its usually quite gritty and hard to mix. Try to find one with only whey/hemp and maybe flavourings in it. Stay clear of things with names like SUPER MASS BUILDER XXX as they can have all kinds of nasty things in them. Prescription medications have been found in them before! If you are in the UK, Myprotein.co.uk are ace.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    how is protein powder not real food?

It is food. =/

I'm assuming she meant it's better to eat meats or other high protein foods? I'm not sure why.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I have a feeling the answer will be no, but is there such a thing as a protein powder that doesn't smell like protein powder?

I know the smell you mean... and I've never noticed it with the stuff I use, Dyna Whey. It blends beautifully just stirred into water and the Cappuccino flavour tastes just like an iced cappuccino. Chocolate-banana is pretty good too (haven't tried any of their other varieties). Both are quite low carb if that matters to you. I also like the fact that it comes in a ziploc bag rather than a big bulky plastic tub.

The problem for non-Canadians is that I've only ever seen it in Canada.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I have a feeling the answer will be no, but is there such a thing as a protein powder that doesn't smell like protein powder?

I know the smell you mean... and I've never noticed it with the stuff I use, Dyna Whey. It blends beautifully just stirred into water and the Cappuccino flavour tastes just like an iced cappuccino. Chocolate-banana is pretty good too (haven't tried any of their other varieties). Both are quite low carb if that matters to you. I also like the fact that it comes in a ziploc bag rather than a big bulky plastic tub.

Hrm, wonder what the customs charge is if I transport it across the border. Also if it's worth the 6 hrs round trip. I'll see if I can find it somewhere near the border maybe? Thanks!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

Hrm, wonder what the customs charge is if I transport it across the border. Also if it's worth the 6 hrs round trip. I'll see if I can find it somewhere near the border maybe? Thanks!

I know Canadian Costco carries it and Real Canadian Superstore. But can't even get it on Amazon... which is weird, because you can get EVERYTHING on there.

I've never seen sample-size packets or I'd offer to send you some to try out.

Iced Capp ingredients:
    Ingredients: Premium Protein Complex (Full Spectrum Whey Protein Isolate [contains soy lecithin], Cold Temperature Processed Whey Protein Concentrate), Natural and Artificial Flavour, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Spray Dried Columbian Coffee, Acesulfame Potassium (50 mg/serving), Sucralose (30 mg/serving).
    Other flavours:
    Chocolate Peanut Butter, Strawberry Kiwi, Orange Vanilla Cream, and unflavoured
  • chickpeanutbutter
    chickpeanutbutter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is helpful to you but Vega changed their formula and I have found the older (better) one at TJ Maxx and Marshall's at a discount. At least in NY/CT area anyway :)
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is helpful to you but Vega changed their formula and I have found the older (better) one at TJ Maxx and Marshall's at a discount. At least in NY/CT area anyway :)

I never thought to look at TJ Maxx! That's an interesting thing to consider.

esjones12 wrote: »
    OP - I scanned through your Diary. And a few things caught my attention. First, it looks like you are aiming for 1200 calories per day. I am guessing you are on the shorter side with being 130 and trying to get down to 115. But please reevaluate your calorie intake and deficit amount. Do you know how much protein you should be consuming? You seem to be fairly active and if you aren't trying to body build you would probably be good on 90-110g a day. You really aren't that far off most days. It looks like adding in an extra serving of chicken, turkey or fish could easily help you reach that goal. You tend to have some calories left over and are missing a solid serving of protein each day. For example 2oz of tuna is 70 calories for 16g protein. Just things to think about.

As far as protein powders go, Vega products rock...however I don't like the taste of their proteins (I use other products from them) and they are expensive lol. I found Biochem 100% whey protein, the ingredients list is super short and only has one item in it I'm not fond of. I get the natural flavor and don't taste it in green smoothies or even just mixed up in almond milk with just a shaker bottle. 90 calories, 20g protein. Haven't found anything better. I also keep some quest bars around for the days I just can't eat more chicken or fish. Those are 180 calories for 20g protein.

Thanks esjones for taking the time to look into my diary. I am 5'3", so 115 is my high goal, 120 is my low goal, with my real focus on decreasing body fat. I got 1200 calories based on MFP's suggested intake based on my goals and current weight and my sedentary lifestyle (I am a student, lots of lecture sitting, but I do try to get in at least 30 minutes to an hour of exercise a day). I am working on getting in more chicken, turkey and fish. I recently bought some chicken breast, tilapia, salmon, tuna packets, and deli meat. I'm hoping that, combined with an increased focus on getting protein and use of the protein powder I bought will help; it seems to be the past couple of days!