How often do you guys weigh/measure?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. I see no reason to weigh in daily - our weight fluctuates day to day. I'd drive myself nuts weighing in every single day.

I take measurements probably once a month. Again, there's no reason to measure weekly. Unless you've got a lot of weight to lose and are losing quickly, there probably won't be much difference in your measurements from week to week.

For my current cut, I'm weighing in weekly but I'm waiting a full 8 weeks to get another set of measurements.

Your weight fluctuates week to week too.

I weigh daily. As long as you don't let daily fluctuations of a few pounds freak you out, there's no reason not to. This data is very helpful in understanding that these daily fluctuations are completely meaningless and can be really volatile. Also, looking back over my years of daily data, there are several points in which a weekly weigh-in would have given me the wrong impression about my progress...and in some cases, for several weeks in a row.

It's better (IMHO) to understand this scale weight volatility than to try to ignore it.

I measure more sporadically, maybe ever 2-3 months...unless you count seeing how my pants and shirts fit every morning as a kind of measurement.
  • arkham_ma
    arkham_ma Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh myself daily, though it does get frustrating at times.

However, the weights I really watch are weekly weigh-ins.

Not sure on measurements, I've only taken them once so far, and while I might measure weekly, I don't expect there would be a lot of change week-to-week. Monthly measurements would be more likely to show changes.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Every morning. I suspect I am continuing to lose weight (not really wanted at this point) so I'm watching this.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Right now, every three days. Just did it this morning, and have lost 1 inch off my waist, 1/2 inch from my hips in the last 2 weeks yayyy! I pay attention to the scale number every Monday, but weigh every morning.
  • Essenaich
    Essenaich Posts: 10
    Options
    Once a week seems to be working the best, until they read something like "Stayed the same" or "Put on" then once a fortnight is a better choice personally, it's all about motivation and there's nothing like a motivation killer then not reaching what you hoped for.
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but because weight fluctuates I only log my weight in once a week.

• Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and use an average of 3 straight days as my weight to help account for fluctuations.
  • tropicgran
    tropicgran Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I weigh almost everyday and log it here. But Monday is my official weight day and I log that on my own spreadsheet. I measure the 1st of the month.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Everyday...but only record once a week on the same day at the same time wearing the same clothes. :)
  • gedasstonkus10
    gedasstonkus10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I trust my mirror
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Sunday and measure on the 1st of the month.
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i am only a couple weeks into maintenance, but i am only weighing myself once a week and trying to trust the numbers that got me here in the first place - my cico. i figure if those stay consistent, then my weight should too. :smile: fingers crossed!
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Every morning
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Every week if I'm losing... Everyday if Ian gaining lol and the mirror
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't measure much because I suck at it and never get the same results.

I only weigh the week following my period because that's when I know that I have the least water weight, so it's easier to see if I've actually lost or gained weight that way.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i weigh every morning and measure whenever i feel like it maybe once every couple months
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on Friday morning. In the past when I would "diet" I'd weigh everyday and often many times a day. When I started my MFP journey I made myself stop the constant weighing because it was counter productive. I've lost 30 lbs thru a lifestyle change, not a diet, and kept it off since September.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Fridays. I actually have to put the scale away (out of sight) or I will hop on it several times a day. Daily fluctuations can ruin a good mood for me, so better that I don't even check. I also measure about every 2 weeks.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh on mornings when I know I've gotten enough sleep and I don't feel bloated from consuming too much sodium the day before (some people have a weakness for sugar, I have a weakness for salty foods). This may mean I end up weighing three times a week, every other day, or even every other week. As long as I feel good and try my best to eat sensibly and not overdo it, I can generally tell how I'm doing in terms of my progress.
  • Lisa_0527
    Lisa_0527 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    weigh-in once a week (although I do sneak a peek sometimes mid-week) and do measurements once a month.