How often do you guys weigh/measure?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Hausisse1 wrote: »
    I'm relatively new to this, heh. Think once a week is okay?

Its absolutely fine, weigh at a frequency that suits you. Its simply data, so you can plot it and see how your weight is trending which is more importnat than the weight on a given day. Some people pefer weekly , fornightly or daily. just remember weight fluctuates 1-5lb a day naturally, so best do your best to use a method which is consistent, same scales , same place, same way i.e wearing same level of clothes if any, after you have been o the loo and forst thing in the morning is common.

Use other measures such as a tape measure, mirror, performance stats at the gym.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I started out doing it daily (WiiFit at home), which was a mixed blessing; after a few months it made it easy enough to see trends, but weight fluctuates a lot, so it could be sort of demoralizing. But now I know that my weight tends to go up and down randomly for a while, then do a dramatic drop.

Nowadays I weigh in every two weeks, with periodic check-ins if I'm curious. This gives anything new I try enough time to see if it works/doesn't work, but is often enough that if I'm trending upwards, I can make appropriate changes.

I usually just measure monthly. For that, I rely a lot more on the fit of my clothes throughout the month.
  • ladygusgoose
    ladygusgoose Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bgowder wrote: »
    I weigh every morning. This way I can catch myself if I'm starting to stray in the wrong direction.
    Even if I'm not maintaining yet, that's exactly what I do, too. I use the weight as a reminder to start the day well (i.e. not go overboard at breakfast which would snowball into going overboard all day). But I know there are fluctuations so for *tracking* purposes I always look at a longer period trend.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh at all. I take measurements once a month, and I judge by the fit of my clothing.
  • lesliewalker108
    lesliewalker108 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ugh I weigh everyday and its gets frustrating seeing my weight go up and down, but then this makes me workout a little longer
  • juliaruliasNY
    juliaruliasNY Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Never.

I used to all the time, but for me the best indication I've found of measuring your size is how you fit your clothes and what you see in the mirror.

I think the scale is useful for those who need structure and routines to keep themselves accountable.

Whatever floats your boat.
  • mars1001
    mars1001 Posts: 2
    Options
    I weigh every day, since I have stopped logging all my food. It keeps me honest and it's sort of a game I play to guess what my weight will be based on my intake and exercise the day before. This has worked for me for a year now!
  • Hausisse1
    Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Never.

I used to all the time, but for me the best indication I've found of measuring your size is how you fit your clothes and what you see in the mirror.

I think the scale is useful for those who need structure and routines to keep themselves accountable.

Whatever floats your boat.

That's a good idea, and I agree! The only thing, though, is I wonder how you calculate your body fat percentage or the amount of calories you ought to be consuming daily?
  • agolderese1
    Options
    My doctor told me not to do it more than once each week because you can fluctuate with water weight very easy. Don't become obsessed with the number on the scale. Let the mirror and your clothing speak the loudest. The first time you put your jeans on and they are loose you will be so happy!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i weigh like 4 or more times permonth now that iam almost at maintenence 5 more lbs 2go
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For the most part I just use the mirror and the fit of my clothes. I do like to check in on the scale every couple of months just to make sure. I don't have a scale at home but there's one at work I can use.
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest: I weigh myself every morning after I get rid of the day before's waste, and before eating anything.

Of course, the scale isn't the sole indicator: the rest is all based on the mirror.

You can be 200lb and look fat, and eventually you can be 200lb and have muscles to die for. Somewhere between those two is the actual journey many people are on.
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I log my weight weekly.
    if I'm curious, I step on my scale whenever I want.
    I measure once a month. I calculate my body fat percentage and my tdee and play around with all my numbers then.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every time I was feeling light, after runs, first thing in the morning, pretty much any time I felt like it. This was a problem because of the fluctuations.... I was always discouraged. On Saturday morning I'm doing my first hydrostatic body fat testing and then I have another test about 8 weeks after that. I'm telling my husband to hide the scale... I'm not weighing in for 8 weeks!
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i weight every morning. measure once a month.
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week and, if on that day my rings are tight, I wait another day or so. I signed up for a challenge that starts Monday, so I will have to weigh in every Monday for the next 8 weeks. I just measured after 6 months of dieting, I have lost a total of 21 inches overall! :D
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ooh tight rings, that's not a bad idea...
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    About every 2 wks or when I think I need to check, but I go mostly by how my body feels and looks. it's almost like torture to be reminded that I'm fat and have to lose weight! that's why I'm at the stupid gym! So I stick to a routine that I know produces results, eat as clean as I can and just try and have some patience.

I also feel that it's not so much what the number says, as what is happening that you can't see - internal physiological changes, water weight. Muscles bulking up. as women we care too much about what the stupid scale says to us
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I trust my mirror

me too
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Saturday morning and if I don't like what it says I weigh again Sunday...you know, just in case.