Why am I slim yet wide? Should I lose more weight? What to do? Help!

Options
Hello I'm new to MFP. I've lost so much weight over the months. I'm close to being underweight honestly. My stomach is flat and so is my chest now and and bum and so on but what I don't understand is why am I still wide. I see other women who weigh more than me yet are narrow [below]. I'm trying to narrow myself down below but no matter how much I exercise, eat healthy and lose weight I remain the same width. WHY? Sorry for freaking out. Here are example pics.

2lvipew.jpg

2njy9nb.jpg
Look how wide I am [below] in this pic! But I am so slim from a side view. I don't get it. How can I become less wide?
:neutral:

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    girl that's your bone structure!!! you look great!
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    psmd wrote: »

This!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    You are woman-shaped! You certainly don't look like you should be wanting to lose any more weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. You are super skinny and narrow!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For the same reason I'm bald: Because genetics.
  • KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ]
    Are you sure? Even though I'm slim from the side I often feel pear shaped. I wish I was more banana or inverted triangle. Or even hourglass. In my college I see so many other ladies who are more narrow below.

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ]
    Are you sure? Even though I'm slim from the side I often feel pear shaped. I wish I was more banana or inverted triangle. Or even hourglass. In my college I see so many other ladies who are more narrow below.
    Banana shaped??
    5zyf7x3s7d4l.jpg
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing any "wide" in your photos. :neutral:

If you're close to being underweight, I wouldn't keep trying to lose, unless you want to be bony and gaunt, which doesn't look good on anybody, in my opinion.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I think you're wishing for "willowy" but not all women are that shape. You should be proud of how far you've come!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Also don't you want to look like a woman, rather than a straight up and down figure, like a boy??
  • KittenTamer91
    Options
    [/quote]
    Banana shaped??
    [/quote]

Banana shaped means straight shaped. Well that's what it said when I looked up body shapes.

• KittenTamer91
    Options
    Ok sorry for worrying so much. I just wish I was more narrow. You know like athletic built. I envy busty women [who's bust and shoulders are wider than their lower half].
  • MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    For whatever it's worth, you look great as is. Nothing in your pics looks wide or un proportioned. You have nice curves, everyone has different bone structures, just be you and rock it and enjoy all that you've accomplished.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, men tend to find women more attractive who have a .7 waist/hip ratio. If you were more narrow in the hips, then you would not have that advantage. Although you should never devote self-worth to what others think or find attractive, it's at least a small consolation to know that even if you can't have your own ideal body type, you do have the body type that many others find ideal.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think you look wide. We are our own harshest critics, and I think you're seeing yourself way differently than you look in reality. A lot of people who lose a lot of weight experience this, actually.

That being said, it's just your natural shape! I'm the same way - very wide hips and shoulders. It bums me out sometimes that no matter how much weight I lose, I'll never be "small" like a lot of my friends. I'm always going to be wider and take up more space. But there are positives, too - those womanly curves can look awesome! I think you look amazing in that dress - you obviously have a small waist, but also an awesome feminine shape. I know a lot of "skinny" girls who would kill for that to be honest. One of those "the grass is always greener" things :)

You mentioned that you're nearing underweight, so please don't attempt to lose any more. You look great, and there's no need to become unhealthy in an attempt to look less wide. Love the skin you're in. You've worked hard for it!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Even if you were naturally wide, it's the bone structure you were born with and there'd be nothing you could do about it. And like another poster mentioned the majority of men don't like the stick thin, no shape look. I've never met one that has...
  • KittenTamer91
    Options
    Ok then. Thanks guys. I guess this whole time I've been worrying over nothing. Thanks so much for your help. I'll stop attempting to lose more weight. I'll just work on maintaining it.

I have one more question though. Will I always have my flat bum and flat chest due to my shape or is there a way to fix that? Are there ways to shape my bum and chest better without surgery? Like a special diet or exercise?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    That can be fixed with exercise. Try lifting weights, full body moves like squats and deadlifts, pushups and pullups, overhead press and rows. You can work on rounding out your butt and shoulders, and that will make your curves more balanced.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I've got a flat bum too. Lunges and squats are your best friends :D